Fruit Flies for Baby Chameleon

I recently got my second chameleon, a baby veiled. I am feeding him hydei fruit flies (the larger variety) which I culture myself with Repashy Superfly, so I guess technically they are "gut loaded". I also have given him a few very small meal worms, but most of his diet is fruit flies. He just won't go for crickets yet (I may order some pinheads but I tried feeding some very small ones and he doesn't seem to recognize them as food, but he loves the Hydei). Can they live okay on fruit flies for a month or more? Or should I get the pinhead crickets right away?

I have a pretty good variety of other feeders which I use for my other critters, but none are particularly small other than the fruit flies.

I would stop feeding the meal worms since they have low nutritional value. Have you tried the small size bsfl? I know those can be pretty small. I would feed them to my 2 mo veiled without a problem. I would personally get the pin heads just to see if he would eat them.

You should continue with the fruit flies but start introducing small foods as well. Be careful as to what you feed as anything that is too large can be fatal, as small chams can easily suffocate on large prey.

Thanks everyone. I'm ordering some pinheads. I also found the smallest dubias I had and put them in a hanging feeder I have in there. Hopefully they are small enough for him.

I love watching him hunt for flies! It's the cutest thing.

I have a rice flour beetle culture that I use for a backup if I'm low on flies for my frogs. Will chameleons eat either rice flour beetles or the larvae? Dart frogs like the larvae but they mostly won't eat the actual beetles, even though they're tiny. Apparently they have an off putting smell.

I have a rice flour beetle culture that I use for a backup if I'm low on flies for my frogs. Will chameleons eat either rice flour beetles or the larvae? Dart frogs like the larvae but they mostly won't eat the actual beetles, even though they're tiny. Apparently they have an off putting smell.

I think quite a few people use those for feeders for babies yes.

Fairly sure Nick suggests them for babies as well.

Back
Top Bottom