Froot Flies

BlueSky

Hey guys!
So I know chams should be able to eat fruit flies (I know they sell those wingless ones at my local pet store,) but would there be a problem with my boy eating "wild" fruit flies? It seems some random flies have started a sort of colony in the soil of one of my live plants, and have been buzzing around his cage for awhile. I don't think my guy has been able to catch and eat any yet, but would there be a problem if he did? Are there any diseases fruit flies could carry?

Thanks!

That sounds like fungus gnats to me. They come and go in the potted plants you may have in your enclosure. Its attributed to soil always being damp and that's almost impossible to avoid if you use a dripper, misting system, or hand mist. if they really drive you nuts you can repot the plant, but I use a hand steamer. seems to keep them at bay. Regardless I doubt your guy will even try to eat them, mine doesn't when they show up. Just in general though, unless you live away from town I wouldn't recommend any "wild caught" insects. The ones in town could be exposed to pesticides as well as gut loading themselves on garbage and such.

Back
Top Bottom