From Maximillion to Maxine..

Maximillion

Well imagine my surprise after 2 years and near death that my little devil Maximillion turns out to be a Maxine. Yes several trips to the vet to get past mbd and dehydration. Finally my little wonder was doing great. Then he (so we were told ) started to do some strange things. Disappearing for 2 to 3 days at a time, not eating as much, water intake was less and this was happening every couple of months. Well I thought I was doing something wrong again so I went to the place where all chameleon wisdom is known to dwell the Chameleon Forum. I researched this strange behavior and found out that our vet had informed us wrong she's a girl not a male. I had to quickly back up and regroup on the care that was needed. I quickly assembled a nesting box with deep damp sand with blacked out walls and her favorite tree. It took her a couple of months but finally she dug her whole laid 48 rather large eggs and came back with her girlish figure and starving...Well once again we have our chameleon under control and all is well.

Well imagine my surprise after 2 years and near death that my little devil Maximillion turns out to be a Maxine. Yes several trips to the vet to get past mbd and dehydration. Finally my little wonder was doing great. Then he (so we were told ) started to do some strange things. Disappearing for 2 to 3 days at a time, not eating as much, water intake was less and this was happening every couple of months. Well I thought I was doing something wrong again so I went to the place where all chameleon wisdom is known to dwell the Chameleon Forum. I researched this strange behavior and found out that our vet had informed us wrong she's a girl not a male. I had to quickly back up and regroup on the care that was needed. I quickly assembled a nesting box with deep damp sand with blacked out walls and her favorite tree. It took her a couple of months but finally she dug her whole laid 48 rather large eggs and came back with her girlish figure and starving...Well once again we have our chameleon under control and all is well.

Would really love to see a picture of this girl!

Attachments

• IMG_20160211_200342.jpg
    IMG_20160211_200342.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 147
I would like to know the name of the vet, put on the: to be avoided list.
What species cham?
Well between you and me I'm not sure if it was the vets fault are my husband's he always took her I always did the home care and the vet did save her when we thought all was lost. But I must give credit to all of the wonderful people on this site who talked to me no matter what time it was and gave me such wonderful advice on how to care for my magnificent creature. Who by the way now rules my home and gets what she wants on demand. I love her lol...

Yes, she's a beauty! Read up on the care sheets at the top of this page under the resources tab. She's probably not going to quite laying eggs, watch her colors for indications as to where she is in her reproductive cycles. In the picture you just posted her colors say she is receptive for breeding, if she were bred right now she would lay eggs in about a month. When the females are not bred it gets a little trickier. She could produce eggs right away or it could be delayed, or she may not produce eggs again for a year or more. If you don't over feed her it will make everything a little easier either way: if she does produce eggs there won't be as many and it could slow down the reproduction cycle. Check out the gut load section too. Higher quality and lower quantity will prolong her life.

What kind is your baby? Male or female

Which baby? The one in the photo section entitled The Runty Report? That baby is a Trioceros quadricornis quadricorns. (I believe bobcochran who responded to you above has a T. q. quadricornis, aka "quad" or "quad quad" as his avatar.) I believe my little Runty to be a female, so she won't develop the horns or sail fins the males get. Or are you asking about my avatar? My avatar pictures a male that is is a sub species of T. q. quadricornis, a Trioceros quadricornis gracilior, often referred to simply as a gracilior.

Back
Top Bottom