From 17g to 56g within a month - is my baby chameleon growing too fast?

starter

A month ago I bought a tiny Yemen chameleon baby girl from a breeder and at that time she was 17g and 4 months old. I am amazed how fast she grows - she has almost doubled her weight every two weeks - to 32g after two weeks and to 56g after four. Is that a normal and healthy growth - or am I overfeeding her?

I give her a bowl with about 10 mealworms and some salad leaves and fruit or vegetable pieces in the morning (she most often picks out only the worms, and occasionally I also add a couple of wax worms which she loves particularly), and in the afternoon I give her about four or five small locusts or crickets. She always eats everything up that moves, no matter what numbers I give her
IMG_0965[1].JPG
IMG_0965[1].JPG . Is that the right amount of food and the right speed of growth, or shall I reduce or increase her food supply? The two first pictures show how tiny she was a month ago and the third was taken now.

Attachments

• IMG_0963[1].JPG
    IMG_0963[1].JPG
    136 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_0980[1].JPG
    IMG_0980[1].JPG
    190.2 KB · Views: 252
No such thing as over feeding at this age. She should be allowed to eat as many gutloaded feeders as she wants.

The meal worms you mentioned should be removed from her diet completely?

Are you gutloading?

What supplements do you use and how often?

The key to raising a healthy young Cham is variety, the charts below should help.
85D06522-AFDA-459E-B0A8-A9B12C4E413E.jpeg
F607F2C4-2C11-45CF-BF94-7569789C9BA4.jpeg
05DCA473-713C-469E-92C2-D6DF988EED66.jpeg

Excellent chart, Brody - thank you so much! Yes, I gut-load my insects properly, but my local pet shop has only crickets and locusts and sometimes cockroaches. In worms they have mealworms and waxworms and sometimes also get superworms (Morio worms), so I will buy those in future rather than the mealworms. I will also try to breed locusts and superworms myself... In additives I powder my insects once a week with Repti-Calcium and once a week with Nutrobal calcium balancer and multivitamin supplement. My lamps are good, too. So, okay, I will give little Lilly as much food as she wants now!

Excellent chart, Brody - thank you so much! Yes, I gut-load my insects properly, but my local pet shop has only crickets and locusts and sometimes cockroaches. In worms they have mealworms and waxworms and sometimes also get superworms (Morio worms), so I will buy those in future rather than the mealworms. I will also try to breed locusts and superworms myself... In additives I powder my insects once a week with Repti-Calcium and once a week with Nutrobal calcium balancer and multivitamin supplement. My lamps are good, too. So, okay, I will give little Lilly as much food as she wants now!
Your welcome. But your supplements need fixing as well, they are equally as important as the types of feeders your using and using a quality gutload.

9A7A1400-34A4-4D2C-9B0A-2D74089EC4DB.jpeg

Veilds are known for how fast they grow. All suggestions made here are spot on. It can't be stressed enough how you need to be supplementing more than once a week. Otherwise you risk your Cham developing MBD

Oh dear! Thank you for that. What is the difference between the blue-coloured and the green-coloured Repti-Calcium? Indeed, it seems that my local pet shop has only the "not recommended" products, so I will order some online.

Oh dear! Thank you for that. What is the difference between the blue-coloured and the green-coloured Repti-Calcium? Indeed, it seems that my local pet shop has only the "not recommended" products, so I will order some online.
So the green repti calcium is with D3 and the Blue one is without D3. The blue one without D3 can be given at nearly every feeding. You will still want to get a calcium with D3 for 2 times a month every other week and then a vitamin to be given 2 times a month on the opposite weeks of the Calcium with D3. :)

These piks wer taken February 6th day of there ARRIVAL... And March 6th one month LATER... U r the 1st to be proudly introduced to CHARLIE AMD STELLA... THE BABY CHAMS WHO GROW SUPER FAST AND SO DOES THERE POO RIGHT ALONG WOTH THEM!!!

Attachments

• 20190206_155635.jpg
    20190206_155635.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 198
  • 20190306_164151.jpg
    20190306_164151.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 173
You'll know when she slows down. They eat and grow at a massive pace. It's incredible. Nothing to worry about...

Amazing growth! Thank you for comforting me - so I will feed her even more, not less.
I guess "da faq" is supposed to mean "what the f**ck?" and is an expression of great surprise and amazement. Nothing bad!

Amazing growth! Thank you for comforting me - so I will feed her even more, not less.
I guess "da faq" is supposed to mean "what the f**ck?" and is an expression of great surprise and amazement. Nothing bad!
Exactly. The way Ashley just burst into the conversation with a completely unrelated topic threw me off. Strange...

Thank you for atleast explaining im sorry im new to this I guess i thought this place was somewhere new ppl came to get help or assist. But instead Brody bashes me for not properly knowing how to go about the website and use its functions... I was really just trying to be nice and polite by introducing MY BABIES SINCE "I WAS JUST JUMPING IN" but also TRYING TO ALLOW YOU TO SEE THAT SOMEONE ELSE IS NEW TO THIS AND HAS FOUND THE GROWTH RATE TO BE INCREDIBLY FAST AND SHOW U MY BABIES SIZE DIFF AFTER 30 DAYS IN MY CARE!!! AGAIN SORRY IF ME DOING THAT WAS WRONG OR IF I OFFENDED(Just figured with experts out there it wouldnt hurt to throw piks of mine into the convo but i see now i guess this was "A PERSONAL THREAD" SO I DO APOLOGIZE!!! HERES GOES ME THE NEWBY!!!

Thank you for atleast explaining im sorry im new to this I guess i thought this place was somewhere new ppl came to get help or assist. But instead Brody bashes me for not properly knowing how to go about the website and use its functions... I was really just trying to be nice and polite by introducing MY BABIES SINCE "I WAS JUST JUMPING IN" but also TRYING TO ALLOW YOU TO SEE THAT SOMEONE ELSE IS NEW TO THIS AND HAS FOUND THE GROWTH RATE TO BE INCREDIBLY FAST AND SHOW U MY BABIES SIZE DIFF AFTER 30 DAYS IN MY CARE!!! AGAIN SORRY IF ME DOING THAT WAS WRONG OR IF I OFFENDED(Just figured with experts out there it wouldnt hurt to throw piks of mine into the convo but i see now i guess this was "A PERSONAL THREAD" SO I DO APOLOGIZE!!! HERES GOES ME THE NEWBY!!!
That was hardly a “bashing.”

None the less I apologize, I occasionally have to be reminded to play nice!

Lol...

WELL B4 I REMIND YOU I WILL PRAISE YOU FOR BEING THE BIGGER CHAMELEON OWNER AND APOLOGIZING TO THE LADY... MEEE!!! OH YEAH B4 I 4GETT...Brodyyyy playyyy NICEEE with the newbies who aren't the brightest crayons in the box when it comes to websites/soical media/ ANYTHING INVOLVING ELECTRONICS... LOL!!! ANDDD THANKKKK YOUUU FOR THE CHARTS YOU SHARED ABOUT VEILDS ON THIS THREAD I HAVE NEVER SEEN THAT AND THE SAYINGS TRUE U LEARN SOMWTHING NEW EVERYDAY!!!

this is definitely true for some lol definitely me too

OP, did you make the changes???? also what kind of uvb are you using because if she isnt processing the calcium properly then its no use.

this is definitely true for some lol definitely me too

OP, did you make the changes???? also what kind of uvb are you using because if she isnt processing the calcium properly then its no use.
Good questions but I think we should be asking if @Ashley85 has started her own thread yet so her concerns can get the review they deserve.

Ashley, have you? I’ve been keeping an eye out for it but haven’t seen it. You’ll get much more help that way, by posting here and not starting your own thread you are limiting the number of people who can see your posts to the members who have made post on this thread. Start your own and the entire community will see it.

Good questions but I think we should be asking if @Ashley85 has started her own thread yet so her concerns can get the review they deserve.

Ashley, have you? I’ve been keeping an eye out for it but haven’t seen it. You’ll get much more help that way, by posting here and not starting your own thread you are limiting the number of people who can see your posts to the members who have made post on this thread. Start your own and the entire community will see it.
wow i didnt even realize that! gotta keep myself alert! good words Brody.

Ashley its better to start a thread rather than jump into an old thread because then everyone will see it, it will get many more responses.

Back
Top Bottom