Friendly Cham

chamfriendly

We have a veiled Cham who is incredibly friendly. She comes to the door wanting held often. I've been talking to other owners and not one has a friendly one. Is it uncommon for them to be friendly? I'm surprised by how aggressive theirs is after knowing ours. Ours was friendly when we bought her. She came up to the class connecting with my daughter wanting out.

Welcome to the forums. I believe it's all about how you raise them. I interact with my chameleons and they are friendly. I also free range and I think that helps. Some chameleons can become territorial and cage aggressive.

Any pictures of your girl?

I would make sure that the conditions are right in her enclosure. Sometimes a chameleon will be so desperate to get out, that it looks like they're begging for attention. Make sure it's not too hot, too dry or not enough cover.

CF,

After you check your conditions in the cage, just enjoy his outgoing personality. I also have a very outgoing and non-aggressive veiled that is approx. 6 mo. old. I can observe my guy from a far and he seems content either coaming his cage for an escaped cricket or basking under the warmer. When I do come to the cage to admire him, he comes over to wait for me to open the cage. From there.......zooop, right up my arm and on to my head. I usually walk him out for a little sun shine. From what I understand, he may not always be like this, but I am taking advantage of his outgoing personality and hoping it will last. I try to have him out most nights after work, as the sun is still out and try to hand feed him a few dubias or crickets in the morning before I go off to work. I guess I got lucky having such an easy going veiled.

I do have pictures. I am not sure how to upload them as I'm new to forums. It's not letting me access my SD card pics like I could when adding my profile pic. The pet store was horrible. They knew nothing about them suggesting things we didn't even need. Anyway she had a wire cage, dripper, fake plants, and vines to climb. Also a double light for up top. I do have a device to bubble the water dish but have read most don't like using a dish, why I got a dripper. She likes to climb the vines and fake plants. I've been looking for a live plant to add but haven't had any luck. Our local home and garden store didn't have any on a list I have neither did Walmart. I'm checking Lowe's and home Depot tonight. If anyone can guide me on how I can upload a picture I'd appreciate it. I'm new to forums.

When I insert a pic into a reply I use the paperclip icon on the reply box. It brings up another window that has an uploader. You upload your pics and then go back to the reply box and click the paperclip again to manage attachments. :) I think there's another way, but I'm not sure how to do it.

photo.php

Nice to see you and Tiki in your album. I believe Tiki might be a girl from the coloring and size of the casque. Check the heels on both back feet. If you see a little bump (called a spur) on the heels then you have a boy. If no bump then you have a girl. If you have a girl I will give you some info on egg laying and the laying bin. The girls lay eggs without a male even being around and if they are not provided with the proper laying bin they will become eggs bound and die. :eek:

Thank you jannb! That's a pic of my daughter with Tiki. She saved and read about them for 4 years before we felt she was ready lol. Tiki is actually hers and I'm just overseeing her care. Tiki is definitely a female. Our entire family has fallen in love with her. I'm left in awe of her just doing her thing. She's just gorgeous. Any info would be great. I appreciate your link. I have a question for you. The pet store she was at fed her super worms every morning. She ate 3-4. When we were hunting for more vines, branches, etc another pet store told us not to feed her super worms because they are too hard. The employee told us t he y could eat through her abdomen or cause a blockage. Of all I've read I've never heard of that. So we gave her crickets and she's upset. Almost every Google search led us to this forum and plenty on here feed theirs super worms.

Super worms are find for you chameleon in moderation. They do not eat through the stomach or anything like that but they are pretty fatty and you are going to want to keep Tiki's weight down. A variety of well gut loaded food is best. I would definitely feed crickets and roaches if they are legal in your state. Butter worms, silkworms, hornworms, Phoenix worms and supers are good. Since you only have one chameleons check out www.lindasgonebuggy.com Linda sales value packs with a small amount of 4 or 5 feeders for $20. That's a good way to provide a variety.

Here's a few links about keeping a female, egg laying and the laying bin.
http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/2007/12/keeping-female-veiled.html
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/jannb/345-egg-laying-laying-bin.html
https://www.chameleonforums.com/laying-bin-set-up-educational-video-77225/

Back
Top Bottom