"free ranging"

LittleRucker

I would never imagine letting my chameleon roam around my apt. ALTHOUGH the temperature is around 75 degrees or higher in some places, there are no other animals here to bother him, and no way for him to get out or fall into water. Do you think it is alright to let him roam around the apartment as long as I am here? He is also sick so I am not thinking of letting him do this at this moment, just was reading up and saw someone else talking about it. My chameleon hasn't eaten in 3 days. I have been giving him some reptiCAL water/regular water, and he drinks, thinking that maybe I didn't dust his crickets enough in the past 2 weeks. *twice* His temperature is 80 degrees, his cage is 36' 18'18' or those measurements but possibly in a different order, lol. He is dark, and also gets his black polka dots a lot lately, and if not black, he is more gray than usual. It is a screen enclosure I purchased on veiledchameleon.com and I have both UVB lamp and heat lamp. He seems tired, and ill, and has been sleeping a lot lately too. This is the first time he has ever seemed sick after living for a year now. I am GOING to take him to the vet if the problem persists for more than 1 or 2 more days, but I just want to know if anyone has an idea of his sickness so I can learn more from the experience. I love him , he is a hardy guy, fat, and normally very happy. I am not ready for him to go!

Fill this out please and read this(http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/): Also it never hurts to let them steam in the shower for a bit.

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information, you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

I would never imagine letting my chameleon roam around my apt. ALTHOUGH the temperature is around 75 degrees or higher in some places, there are no other animals here to bother him, and no way for him to get out or fall into water. Do you think it is alright to let him roam around the apartment as long as I am here? He is also sick so I am not thinking of letting him do this at this moment, just was reading up and saw someone else talking about it. My chameleon hasn't eaten in 3 days. I have been giving him some reptiCAL water/regular water, and he drinks, thinking that maybe I didn't dust his crickets enough in the past 2 weeks. *twice* His temperature is 80 degrees, his cage is 36' 18'18' or those measurements but possibly in a different order, lol. He is dark, and also gets his black polka dots a lot lately, and if not black, he is more gray than usual. It is a screen enclosure I purchased on veiledchameleon.com and I have both UVB lamp and heat lamp. He seems tired, and ill, and has been sleeping a lot lately too. This is the first time he has ever seemed sick after living for a year now. I am GOING to take him to the vet if the problem persists for more than 1 or 2 more days, but I just want to know if anyone has an idea of his sickness so I can learn more from the experience. I love him , he is a hardy guy, fat, and normally very happy. I am not ready for him to go!

as for his issues, just go to the vet, make sure they know about chams or at least have experience in exotics..

as for the free ranging..mine love me for it.. heres my set up..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRsnMrc2M5w

heres proof they love me for it...lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb8-JpvzGiM

Free ranging is a huge favorite of my chams, he has a very large custom built home but also several live trees throughout the living room and during the day can be found in different spots throughout, he also enjoys a free range that is outdoors, its not screened in but instead a variation of trees in a row that are fenced in with a 2 foot plexiglass wall, this allows him to venture throughout with no worries that if he came down from the trees he could venture to far away because of the barrier. He loves the natural sunlight and fresh air in the back yard.

Just curious, what do you have in place to avoid a bird stealing your cham from the outdoor tree tops? Cheers.

free roaming

you will find they go to the same places to hide or hang out make sure there is a basking light available as well as a nice tree for him to hang out in. just make sure he can get water other then that he should be ok and if you can't find him check behind the tv, wii, ps3, xbox, computer anything that puts off heat is were they will go.

Attachments

• 242301_1366798466517_1728348614_638008_6482315_o.jpg
    242301_1366798466517_1728348614_638008_6482315_o.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 156
  • 242651_1368059258036_1728348614_638227_956817_o.jpg
    242651_1368059258036_1728348614_638227_956817_o.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 176
you will find they go to the same places to hide or hang out make sure there is a basking light available as well as a nice tree for him to hang out in. just make sure he can get water other then that he should be ok and if you can't find him check behind the tv, wii, ps3, xbox, computer anything that puts off heat is were they will go.

OMG!!!, that is a hilarious picture of that Veiled sitting up on the WII, its almost like walking in on someone using the crapper, omg...i literally laughed out loud when i saw that, he looks so pissed, you can paraphrase him "ya what the hell you looking at"......classic

yes he was

OMG!!!, that is a hilarious picture of that Veiled sitting up on the WII, its almost like walking in on someone using the crapper, omg...i literally laughed out loud when i saw that, he looks so pissed, you can paraphrase him "ya what the hell you looking at"......classic

he was very pissed I woke him up. he was nice and cozy sleeping on there and then I went and woke him up trying to play the playstaion thats right above the wii. he did not like it one bit.

here is another funny one

he climbed the lights all the time when he did not want to be bothered. then he would look down at me like "yeah try and get me now"

Attachments

• Phone 077.jpg
    Phone 077.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 135
Well I am so excited to get a set up going on and buy a little tree! Right after he is better and gets a check up I will start letting him roam more, I just know he will love it !

Back
Top Bottom