Free-Ranging Hermie

Jam

After reading all of the free-ranging threads and thinking about Hermie, my 2.5 yo male lately has just been unhappy in his enclosure (he also has chronic kidney problems and is a "former" MBD cham who broke all 4 legs) I decided to give it a try. I'm still waiting to pick up his real big tree ... but set up a tree-bush situation by his cage, with lighting, and essentially just open up his screen enclosure in the AM and let him decide what to do (he always leaves).

Happy to report that he is now turning lovely shades of green and seems much happier in general. ALthough HIS choice of daily locations is slightly odd and peculiar to me ... my bird (moustache parrot's) cage. Luckily my parrot is good natured and seems to completely care less but more days then not I find him chilling ontop of the cage or on the side of it. <sigh>. Why he is pickign THIS location I have yet to figure out .... no greenage to hide in, no basking light, just loud colored bird toys.

Shame it looks like he has gone through alot of trouble, with the broken legs, mbd and kidneys.
But seems like you getting him quite well, wish I could free range would be so much easier but I have a cat and dog so I think they would fancy chameleon breakfast.

Good luck.

Sounds like Hermie really likes free ranging. It also sounds as tho he really likes the bird or it's cage one! I'm glad that you are giving it a try. Hermie deserves to be happy after all he's been through. Jann

Shame it looks like he has gone through alot of trouble, with the broken legs, mbd and kidneys.
But seems like you getting him quite well, wish I could free range would be so much easier but I have a cat and dog so I think they would fancy chameleon breakfast.

Good luck.

Yea, the poor critter went through a lot ... although thanks to some creative and good veterinarians his bones have knitted, his bone density appears completely normal now, and his kidneys seem to be doing ok at the moment.

Hi,

Even though your bird seems not to care about the cham I would not let the cham climb on the cage anymore.
Remember parrots are heavy chewers and it could very well chew on your cham's legs are tail, even not to hurt but just to play...
Just my 2 cents
Cheers

Seb

Hi,

Even though your bird seems not to care about the cham I would not let the cham climb on the cage anymore.
Remember parrots are heavy chewers and it could very well chew on your cham's legs are tail, even not to hurt but just to play...
Just my 2 cents
Cheers

Seb

I agree... One parrot bite to a foot, leg, or tail could be a disaster.

Back
Top Bottom