Free Ranging feeders

I've had my panther chameleon for a little over 2 months now and so far the only thing I've been able to get him to eat is crickets. Part of the reason for this is I haven't found a good way secure his dish for worms and such. My question is: what feeders besides crickets can I free range? Would any of them be able to burrow between the rocks in the attached picture?

Attachments

• IMG_20180804_213323282.jpg
    IMG_20180804_213323282.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 79
I've had my panther chameleon for a little over 2 months now and so far the only thing I've been able to get him to eat is crickets. Part of the reason for this is I haven't found a good way secure his dish for worms and such. My question is: what feeders besides crickets can I free range? Would any of them be able to burrow between the rocks in the attached picture?
its not hard to secure a feeding cup, it’s the only way your going to successfully feed anything that isn’t a cricket. Post some pics of what your thinking and we will help you work your way through it.

I free range black soldier flies and stick insects and the very occasional hornworms (too expensive). Everything else is hand or cup fed.

I attach my cup to screen with a magnetic clips and a washer on the outside. Been using that for a year.

For soldier flies, a wine cooler was well worth the $60. I can buy my larvae by the thousand and they last months. Stick insects are cool drivers too. I have Vietnamese but feeding in winter is a pain. Some varieties eat ivy.

I purchased a feeder cup from one of the vendors on the forum called full throttle feeders. It works very well since they only allow bugs to climb up a screen and get eaten. Crickets can still hop out but it will reduce the amount. So far my cham loves it and will even sit on the side and just pick them off. Plenty of people have made their own on this forum but I don't have the time for DIY projects all that often. I would never let a dubia free roam in the cage un attended. When I feed dubia I will put them on the side of the mesh so my cham will see them move and eat them. If he doesn't I put them back in the bin for next time. This is just me as I am paranoid no matter how many times I hear they cannot infest here in California.

As for the rocks question I have similar size rocks and the crickets will not usually stay in there. They tend to climb out and the cham will eventually find them or they will die on the bottom. Dubia on the other hand will hide in there :cautious:. Since I only feed a couple hornwoms a week I hand feed those as a treat and to promote bonding. He just cannot say no to hornworms haha.

Back
Top Bottom