Free range

Mountain Dragon

Chameleon Enthusiast
So just a quick question can a chameleon be free free ranged its whole life or does it also have to have an enclosure btw this is just a rando q

With training, they can free range their whole life.

After some trial and error, they will find a sleeping stick, and generally will return to it each day. So basically you need to find said magic stick, and put in the basking bulb and uvb bulb, and maybe even a dripper. So they will spend a few hours on said stick, and the rest of the time the they will make 2-4 or more patrols around the free range each day as they develop their routine.

There is a bit of training. The may fall asleep in random spots, so you need to collect them and put them on the magic stick to for a habit. As sometimes they will get stuck. Ive had them crawl up a jacket sleeve, and not be able to get out, or crawl along a box and fall in when they turn around. So there will be some baby proofing.

With training, they can free range their whole life.

After some trial and error, they will find a sleeping stick, and generally will return to it each day. So basically you need to find said magic stick, and put in the basking bulb and uvb bulb, and maybe even a dripper. So they will spend a few hours on said stick, and the rest of the time the they will make 2-4 or more patrols around the free range each day as they develop their routine.

There is a bit of training. The may fall asleep in random spots, so you need to collect them and put them on the magic stick to for a habit. As sometimes they will get stuck. Ive had them crawl up a jacket sleeve, and not be able to get out, or crawl along a box and fall in when they turn around. So there will be some baby proofing.
Okay thanks so much!

True, my veiled lives 24/7 in free range setup and it works perfect. No problems with shedding or hydration, and had 2 successful clutches laid in this setup.

She can even exit her free range (which she does during receptive phase), however she stays in her tree. When she’s traveling during her receptive phase, she’s goes back to her sleeping spot or basking branch when she’s in need for UVB or heat. Here’s my setup (if not already seen) https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/free-range-inspiration.2464/

My chameleons free range their entire life. Here’s one of my condos with a big ficus tree next to it.

CE39020F-AEEF-4918-945B-659B9CD7E5A2.jpeg

True, my veiled lives 24/7 in free range setup and it works perfect. No problems with shedding or hydration, and had 2 successful clutches laid in this setup.

She can even exit her free range (which she does during receptive phase), however she stays in her tree. When she’s traveling during her receptive phase, she’s goes back to her sleeping spot or basking branch when she’s in need for UVB or heat. Here’s my setup (if not already seen) https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/free-range-inspiration.2464/
Okay thankyou for that info! This helps alot

Back
Top Bottom