Freaking out!!

Swabby1214

Ok Im not sure if this is bad or not but im sure it isn't good. This afternoon when I normally check on Gizmo and see how his day is going how much he's eaten and etc... I noticed he had a green dot on his back that I haven't seen before so I removed him and got it off. It was a very very small bug, I looked over his cage and found a couple on the floor so I removed them. I of course started searching the forum to see if anyone else has had this problem but I haven't found anything on green "mites" which is what I figured they are only white ones. So my question is What are they? I would take a pic but they are tiny and my camera sucks.....

I wonder if it could have come off a plant. Do you have live plants in the cage? The mites my skink had were black. I dont know if there is such thing as a green mite.

Then it could have came from the plant or soil. I would remove the plant and clean the "head" of the plant in warm soapy water. Rinse well. And then possibley change the soil out. But that is just a suggestion. They may have nothing to do with the plant.

Im gonna do that and clean his enclosure as if it is mites. If anybody else has any ideas let me know... thanks

Could be aphids. Check the plant...I don't think there is any such thing as a green mite.

I checked the plant and there are some on some of the leaves but they are smaller and white. Could the green things Im seeing be adult aphids?

I would, because you don't want them to keep multiplying and infest your plant or cage. Even if they are harmless to your chameleon, I would want to get rid of them.

I would, because you don't want them to keep multiplying and infest your plant or cage. Even if they are harmless to your chameleon, I would want to get rid of them.

Totally agree with you!! Already got Gizmo in a his outdoor cage catching some rays!:cool:

Most likely green aphids. What i use on my plants: half gallon h2o mixed with 1 T dawn or an alternate organic dish soap. 1 T Canola oil. and 1 dash rubbing alcohol. sometimes a squirt of lemon also. mix well and spray on immediately before separation can occur. In the interest of this being in your chams cage id say after application rinse off several times. gluck:)
no one seems to think the aphids could hurt your cham, i have no idea but i don't see how they could there isn't a whole lot to them, but i still wouldn't want the infestation to get out of hand and aphids can lie dormant in soil!

Most likely green aphids. What i use on my plants: half gallon h2o mixed with 1 T dawn or an alternate organic dish soap. 1 T Canola oil. and 1 dash rubbing alcohol. sometimes a squirt of lemon also. mix well and spray on immediately before separation can occur. In the interest of this being in your chams cage id say after application rinse off several times. gluck:)
no one seems to think the aphids could hurt your cham, i have no idea but i don't see how they could there isn't a whole lot to them, but i still wouldn't want the infestation to get out of hand and aphids can lie dormant in soil!

I Agree thanks ill try that mix.:D

... or hatch out a praying mantis egg/cocoon, I hear baby praying mantis eat aphids.
Half way kidding, tho I'd love to have some mantis myself (for pets and enrichment feeders) that would probably be a slow way to deal with your aphids

Back
Top Bottom