Framed Butterflies

CBee7726

Avid Member
Hi All,

This is kind of a long shot, but I am trying to recall the name of a vendor from the NYC reptile show back in February this year (I've already checked the website and couldn't figure out definitively who it was). It was a table in the center of the main area, and they had these beautiful shadow boxes with butterflies mounted in them. Of course we forgot to take a picture or get a business card, but wanted to buy one as a gift. Does anyone on here have an idea of who it might have been, or another person who makes these & can vouch for quality?

Thanks!

All I can suggest is do a google image search and see if anything similar turns up.
I have a few butterfly serving trays from Brazil ca. WWII. My dad brought a couple back, and I found a couple more at garage sales. They're pretty common.

So I already did that, and I'm looking for a specific butterfly species that we saw while in Peru (Morpho aurora). When I was at the reptile show in NYC, there was a vendor that had them framed, all of varying quality. I've found a similar product on Etsy, but I was hoping to either find the vendor I had already come across, or another artist that someone could personally vouch for. My last ditch effort will be to buy it on Etsy, but I'm hesitant simply because I know that quality can vary with this sort of thing.

Yes, that's one of the species in all of the trays I have. My guess is that they were—and possibly still are(?)—a somewhat common souvenir item. Mine are of this ilk:
butterfly tray from Brazil
(Just to see if we're talking about the same animal)

yeah pretty much... there are a lot of similar species in the Morpho Genus that have similar appearances, but Morpho aurora is the one we saw while hiking ?
Hindsight is we should have bought it that day when we saw it, but we forgot to go back to them after we were done walking around at the show (oops)

we're looking for something like this. Ideally I don't want to purchase something like it without the listing having any mention to the quality grade

I understand, but WOW!—$100 for a bug in box
Something is worth what it's worth to someone—I get that. It's just that all the trays I've seen & bought were about $5 ea. Not the same thing.

Wish I could help.

lol that one website is ~$100... the vendor at the reptile show had them for ~45 depending on quality, and I've seen some on ebay and Etsy for ~$45. It just depends on where you shop ?‍♀️
Yes in a perfect world I'd stumble upon one for $5 at a garage sale, but I'm not counting on that anytime soon ?

I've come to the conclusion that you only find cool things like that at garage sales when you aren't actively looking for them.

I used to hear, "The time to buy an antique is when you see it."
There are so many ways to argue both sides of that worn out adage... BT-DT :rolleyes:
I've been glad I passed as often as I've been sorry I didn't buy... (or even sorry I bought too soon.)

I've heard the same about craft items, but having spent some time on the craft circuit, I know when one crafter comes up with a good thing, 20 more will copy at the next show. That's evident on Etsy & eBay.

I think if you're patient & persevere, you'll find exactly what you're looking for.

Back
Top Bottom