Found superworm as beetle in kitchen sink.

jacksonchamnew

Avid Member
What can you do with these? Superworm must have escaped and pupated as beetle. Cham would normally eat beetles but don't know where this one has been. I guess I have to kill it.

Attachments

• superworm.jpg
    superworm.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 443
As long as the topic is escaped supers, be aware that superworms can eat through plastic, IOW they can eat their way out of plastic containers and escape.

This is a container that (obviously) originally contained BSFL. When the BSFL were gone, I sterilized the container and repurposed it to contain superworms. Originally, all the air holes were the same (small) size. It took exactly one night for the supers to embiggen [sic] those holes large enough to escape. Fortunately, this container was in a large Sterilite bin, which stopped the escapees from getting into the house.

1599662085954.png

In this case, the solution was to lower the level of the medium the supers were living in so they couldn't reach the lid.

There is a female dubia that lives under the steps outside. She only comes out at night to bask or something. The family gets upset if they dont see her...
Dont even know how she got out of the bin and made it down the halway and out the dog door...
Probably took the bus, i.e. hitched a ride on the dog. :rolleyes:

The first escaped bug we found was an adult dubia, in my partner's shirt. He said something felt a little scratchy, took it off to check that the cat hadn't stuck a mouse in it, and was greeted by a fluttering, panicked roach...

Last winter for about a good two weeks I kept finding darkling beetles thru out my house. Had no idea what they were and dispatched them quickly. After about the 3rd one I learned what they were. Never did find where they came from though. I quickly retrieved any that I dropped and had no escape holes in their container. I hate superworms even more than I hate crickets. Never thought I’d say this, but give me my roaches any day.

We used to play a game at my house when you would pull a pan out of the cabinet you have to guess cricket or bean beetle. The shooting gallery feeder kind of ruined the game because now the answer is always bean beetle.
We play a similar game—"Lunch" or "No Lunch", depending on whether a found bug can or should be fed to a lizard. "No Lunch" is equivalent to "Kill it before it breeds". :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom