Found Chameleon! Veiled

Daniel266jz

Avid Member
Hey guys, so after coming home from the store I ran across a Big Veiled walking across my street with a bit of a messed up tail and I picked him up before he got ran over or picked out by a bird. He looks otherwise healthy , very brute colors, strong grip, No MBD signs. We are deciding to keep him and give him a good life, he reminds me of my old veiled. Any suggestions? I already have a bit of a roach colony, along with calcium and calcium with D3. Going to get him a cage right now.

Attachments

• B7038BA1-2BD6-4A0B-B493-5445064B9254.jpeg
    B7038BA1-2BD6-4A0B-B493-5445064B9254.jpeg
    76.6 KB · Views: 116
Is this in Florida? I mean wild caught are very hard to acclimate from what u hear but I’d wait for someone more qualified to pitch in definitely looks like a grumpy male veiled

Yes this is Florida, just didn’t want him to get hurt. Would it better to let him back out? Will it do worse than better to try and keep him?

If you do decide to keep him (you can also take him to a reputable cham rescue, as well- you can't release chams back into the wild after touching them, it's illegal in FL), you also need a quality multivitamin without D3 to use along with your other supplements. Reading through the entirety of this site and filling out this form in as much detail as possible will help us help you give him the best life possible!
https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

A trip to an experienced and reputable cham vet will be needed, as well, to check out his tail, do a fecal test, x-rays, and a general check-up, maybe even bloodwork.

Yes this is Florida, just didn’t want him to get hurt. Would it better to let him back out? Will it do worse than better to try and keep him?
I’m not a 100% but I think if you find a non native invasion animal it’s illegal to let them go you either have to euthanize it or keep it or sell it but I’m pretty sure u can’t let it go

Edit: oh wait someone aready said this sorry

"Because chameleons are non-native, it's okay to pluck them from the trees—exotic species don’t have any protected status in Florida. Once a herper has snatched one, they can't put it back, since it’s illegal to release exotics into the wild"...

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/article/chameleons-ranching-florida-invasives-pets
You know I completely forgot that was a thing wow I guess you have no choice but to take it to a rescue or try to acclimate really if that’s the case isn’t it the same for Hawaii?

I’m 100% sure there are reptile rescues down in Florida. You can go that route or find someone with tons of knowledge to care for them.

D9784760-FD87-46F7-ACBA-5D733396338B.png

I would try giving these guys a call first and see if they’ll take the veiled in.

I contacted a local pet place that a friend pointed me to, the guy who works at that reptile department has all kinds of reptiles and he was kind enough to take him. I left to work overnight, he met my wife up and he should be in good hands now. I let him have a supply of roaches while he gets everything ready for him! He also told me it’s illegal to re-release

Back
Top Bottom