Found Cham sleeping on the floor

Pistachiochameleon

Established Member
Went to check on my cham at 7pm... lights are off at 8:30pm every night (I use the genie automatic timer) but she was laying on the floor asleep? I have never seen her do this before when the lights were on. Basking temp was 80° and humidity was 60%.... anyone ever had a sleepy cham?

Attachments

• C5C0FBE1-A6BB-4210-A6A9-42DC15641A57.jpeg
    C5C0FBE1-A6BB-4210-A6A9-42DC15641A57.jpeg
    118.8 KB · Views: 205
Went to check on my cham at 7pm... lights are off at 8:30pm every night (I use the genie automatic timer) but she was laying on the floor asleep? I have never seen her do this before when the lights were on. Basking temp was 80° and humidity was 60%.... anyone ever had a sleepy cham?
Come on now, you've been here long enough to know that's not a "sleepy" cham. Please fill out the form.

Come on now, you've been here long enough to know that's not a "sleepy" cham. Please fill out the form.
I am genuinely trying to get her help, I have posted a couple threads trying to understand my Cham and got annoyed responses. Have never had a Chameleon and just trying to do my best at keeping her healthy and understanding how to care for her.

• Chameleon - female Veiled (pistachio) chameleon. Approx 1year -has never laid clutch

• Handling - Not often anymore. Usually just if I need to get her out of the cage for cleaning.

• Feeding - 5-8 crickets, 1-2 horn worms every 2 days. Gut loaded with carrots, apples.

• Supplements - No D3 calcium every feed. D3 calcium 1x a week. Vitamin every couple feeds.

• Watering - Fogger for a couple hours every night when lights are off. Pressurized sprayer every day wake up and before bed.

• Fecal Description - Brown and white. Somtimes light yellow.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Reptibreeze 16x16x21 (looking to upgrade size)

• Lighting - Reptisun dome combo with a reg house bulb and a Reptisun t5 strip

• Temperature - Top of cage 78-80° bottom of cage 70-72°

• Humidity - 50-60%

• Plants - 1 hibiscus, 1 spider plant, 1 potros, 3 tilianisas

• Placement - In the corner of room. No traffic during the day.

• Location - Seattle Washington

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

• Sleeping on the bottom of her enclosure. She got up and eventually went to the top of her cage but I’m still just making sure it’s nothing to be concerned about

I am genuinely trying to get her help, I have posted a couple threads trying to understand my Cham and got annoyed responses. Have never had a Chameleon and just trying to do my best at keeping her healthy and understanding how to care for her.

• Chameleon - female Veiled (pistachio) chameleon. Approx 1year -has never laid clutch

• Handling - Not often anymore. Usually just if I need to get her out of the cage for cleaning.

• Feeding - 5-8 crickets, 1-2 horn worms every 2 days. Gut loaded with carrots, apples.

• Supplements - No D3 calcium every feed. D3 calcium 1x a week. Vitamin every couple feeds.

• Watering - Fogger for a couple hours every night when lights are off. Pressurized sprayer every day wake up and before bed.

• Fecal Description - Brown and white. Somtimes light yellow.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Reptibreeze 16x16x21 (looking to upgrade size)

• Lighting - Reptisun dome combo with a reg house bulb and a Reptisun t5 strip

• Temperature - Top of cage 78-80° bottom of cage 70-72°

• Humidity - 50-60%

• Plants - 1 hibiscus, 1 spider plant, 1 potros, 3 tilianisas

• Placement - In the corner of room. No traffic during the day.

• Location - Seattle Washington

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

• Sleeping on the bottom of her enclosure. She got up and eventually went to the top of her cage but I’m still just making sure it’s nothing to be concerned about
And your doing a fine job of getting her help, just wanted you to have a real understanding of what your looking at.

Approx 1year -has never laid clutch
Its clutch time!

Gut loaded with carrots, apples.
Got to do better her, especially for Females. Try Cricket Crack or Bug Burger, both on amazon
D3 calcium 1x a week. Vitamin every couple feeds.
Only give D3 two times a month, same for multivitamin. Your overdosing on current schedule

We really need those pics to assist any further.

Copy, sometimes rainbow mealworm sends cricket crack so I’ll order some! I didn’t know about the multi vitamins I’ll cut back. Is there anything other than making sure the lay bin soil is right that I should change?

I have found her on the bottom of the enclosure sleeping again. I took her out to look at her belly. I think for sure it’s beginning of egg time. I took her main plant out and brought in a bigger lay bin. It’s sand right now but I’ll add 1/2 soil in the morning (I need to pick some up). Is there anything I am missing?

Attachments

• 49B727C1-FEF5-47A4-93D8-E15979BA1004.jpeg
    49B727C1-FEF5-47A4-93D8-E15979BA1004.jpeg
    186.9 KB · Views: 129
  • CD7DD18B-C677-461A-ADD5-0CAC64CB367A.jpeg
    CD7DD18B-C677-461A-ADD5-0CAC64CB367A.jpeg
    170.1 KB · Views: 172
  • 6072B1EA-2D23-489B-8B01-0B38816B4AFD.jpeg
    6072B1EA-2D23-489B-8B01-0B38816B4AFD.jpeg
    187.8 KB · Views: 166
  • 6E7A6085-67FD-4B3B-91E4-B5A2A3E1B158.jpeg
    6E7A6085-67FD-4B3B-91E4-B5A2A3E1B158.jpeg
    234 KB · Views: 151
How wet is that sand? We typically don’t recommend cardboard for a bin.
Sand is damp but not soaked. Probably sand castle worthy lol. I will pick up a plastic bin after work w/ soil. Is the size okay? Should I be feeding her differently than normal? her size isn’t huge yet but definitely her coloring is very different. - thanks again for the help

Hard to tell from the pic... does she have a way to climb down in there? Size looks okay.

Couple of other things I'm noticing from your pictures... I'd take out the green carpet you have in there. That carpet is a host for bacteria. Most keepers keep the bottom of their enclosures bare for this reason.

I'd try to see if you can add in some more leafy plants to provide more coverage. Chameleons feel better if they have a place they can retreat to.

Lastly, what UVB are you using? Looks like the dual compact dome from your pics. Proper UVB is essential for any chameleon, but especially a female trying to lay eggs.

Hard to tell from the pic... does she have a way to climb down in there? Size looks okay.

Couple of other things I'm noticing from your pictures... I'd take out the green carpet you have in there. That carpet is a host for bacteria. Most keepers keep the bottom of their enclosures bare for this reason.

I'd try to see if you can add in some more leafy plants to provide more coverage. Chameleons feel better if they have a place they can retreat to.

Lastly, what UVB are you using? Looks like the dual compact dome from your pics. Proper UVB is essential for any chameleon, but especially a female trying to lay eggs.

I had a big hibiscus in there but I took it out for a bigger lay bin my last was a bit small. There are a couple fake plants in the corners of the lay bin for her to get in and out. She actually climbed in and out last night with no help to check it out.

I’ll try to see if I have some more plants o can add to the outside for coverage.

The dome has a reg lightbulb in it. I have a t5 reptisun behind the dome, you can see the blu strip of light in the pictures.

I’ll try to take the carpet out i just need to find a new bottom sheet of plastic first... this one had drain holes but the crickets escape if they get out of the feed bowl. Thanks so much!!

If she’s getting ready to lay, you really shouldn’t be making any changes until she’s done. They need absolute privacy and if disturbed, they may stop digging/laying and become eggbound.

Lay bin is in. From now on leaving Cham in with a curtain will check on her once a day. Looking a lot bigger hoping she lays this week

Attachments

• AB9DC4BF-AAAF-4C80-89F4-BCBC89F33C2A.jpeg
    AB9DC4BF-AAAF-4C80-89F4-BCBC89F33C2A.jpeg
    177.7 KB · Views: 136
  • 1F20A19A-04D7-4DCB-9D39-B15B0741742B.jpeg
    1F20A19A-04D7-4DCB-9D39-B15B0741742B.jpeg
    214.9 KB · Views: 168
Back
Top Bottom