Found an Adult Male Veiled on the Rd.

Jacqwoot

My friends Daughter found this Veiled on the road. Backed up traffic for two blocks. She couldn't keep it so asked me to take it. I've had many other reptiles but never a Chameleon. Have always wanted one. Anyway, I think this is the place where I'm gonna get the most answers I need.

I bought him a 2' x 4' x 2' wire mesh cage, crickets, Zoo Med 100 w Repti Basking Spot Lamp, Zoo Med 5.0 uvb Retisun 13 watt, gut feed and the guy at the herp store threw in Repashy superfood, calcium plus to powder the crickets.

I've been misting him 3x a day. I haven't seen him drink at all. On the way home in the car I threw 4 crickets in with him and heard him munching in the back so I know he's ate. Screwed a container to the log and placed more in it but, he hasn't eaten any more.

I need to get him a better set up though. I noticed on the housing page it shows horizontal branches. Can you screw these branches to the wire mesh? Will that hold? Also, what is the best imitation plant to use. I'm too afraid of real. Afraid he will be poisoned. I live in Central Florida so when I say it's humid. It's real humid here. Even so, I would like to get or make some type of misting system and droplet system for him to get water.

Would like to give him the best possible life so if you can help me accomplish this we would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Jacquie

Hey welcome to the forums! Do you mind posting a picture of the little guy? I cant believe they found him on the road! Anyways , a picture would be great so we can help determine the age , help you set-up the cage, and the feeding and proper basking temps!. I've attached links to some care pages and safe plant lists if you change your mind. You can use a thumb tack to hold branches into place just as long as they are the width of the cage(wall-wall)

http://www.flchams.com/safe_plant_list.asp

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-keepers-young-veiled-panther-chameleons.html

Hello! Finding a chameleon on the road is always good.

I would just use a regular incandescent White House bulb 60-100 watt for your basking light. In my experience the specialty bulbs are really expensive and too hot.

I had to take that picture down. It was too big.

Attachments

• _DSC0030.jpg
    _DSC0030.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:
Sorry it's so big! Not use to forums! If I hold him he turns a bright green. This morning he was lighter also. Seems like the light bothers him.

Wow, what a find! He's fully grown, but I couldn't tell you in years. He looks pretty good, except for being stressed, which I can completely understand. When you read the care sheets just follow the information for adults and you'll be fine. I also just use regular light bulbs instead of the speciality ones.

There are quite a few of us from Florida on here, so we completely understand the heat and humidity aspect. As for plants, you can't go wrong with a pothos, or a benjamin ficus. There's a safe plant sheet, and honestly live plants will help with humidity. Also, veileds tend to want to eat their foliage, which you don't want him doing with a fake plant. Personally I use what I call a cane plant - you can find them in Lowes or Home Depot, and they stand about 5-6' on one main stalk, and look like a corn plant. They are safe and hold up quite well. Then I just buy some fake vines and wrap them around as walkways. To attach things to the sides of the screen I use small zip ties, making sure that all sharp or pointy edges are on the outside of the screen where the chams can't get to them. Good luck and feel free to ask for any advice that you need!

Thank You everyone! I was just about to go to the art store for fake plants but think I'll go to HD or Lowes now.

Could you recommend a good misting system?

I have an aquazamp with a rain dome; It was well worth the money. Just don't waste your time or money on a monsoon. They suck.

I think I'm stressing him out!

When I checked on him this morning he was Lime green with Turquoise and yellow on him. Once I opened the cage to feed and mist him he turned gray again. Is this a good sign that he is at lease finding some comfort and just needs to get use to me?

He also seems to not like the basking light. A couple of you told me that the basking light I am using gets too hot so I raised it a little bit to ensure a good distance. Once this bulb goes I'll be using house hold bulbs.

I put a plant (Pothos) in his cage and he lighten up a little. Vines are long enough to start at the bottom and reach to the top of the cage. You were right about the real plants. They seem to create little puddles of water when I mist, instead of rolling off on to the ground.

Still haven't seen him drink and he only ate on the way home on Monday.

He is gonna be stressed for awile I would say. Imagine having all the freedom in the world and living wild and then be thrust into the situation he is in now. Seeing that he is not a baby, I would not worry too much about the eating just yet. I took in a panther chameleon from another member who had him for around 4 years. It was quite a change for him and he did not eat one thing for 11 days. He did drink water though, which is important so he does not dehydrate. You say he does not like his basking light...do you have a branch placed horizontally underneath? It should be about 8 inches down and be a sturdy one. As far as attaching the branches, I use push pins and they work well. Attach on the outside of course. Good luck with him. I think he will come around for you, but it will just take some time. It is not going to happen over night.

Thanks Carol5208!

I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing by him. Not sure if keeping him in a cage is the best thing or for any wild animal.

Yes I have placed a horizontal, sturdy branch in his cage for him. It's a pine log with branches, no bark. I just think the light was too close. So I raised the light.

Feel bad for him! Thing is, he get real pretty when I'm holding him, almost like he likes it! I always read that Chameleons were not "handling" lizards. Maybe he's an exception?

A lot of handle our chameleons on a regular basis and they live long and happy lives. It depends on the chameleon really. As far as being "happy" being bright, that is not always the case either. They can get very colorful when stressed our or scared also. I think chameleons that are born and raised captive bred are going to be used to be caged versus one being picked up in the wild. Although whose to say that yours was not caged and escaped? I know we have wild populations of chameleons in various parts of Florida. There is a pretty established population of Veilds and Oustalets in Miami from what I am seeing. There is a group called Florida Python Hunters on FB and they are posting pictures every night of chameleons they are catching and removing as they are considered invasive. Check out the FB page.

Back
Top Bottom