Found a Locust Borer

Zeyna04

So while I was giving Neville’s enclosure an extra spray of water on account of the current hot conditions, I noticed a strange insect scuttling around the enclosure. It was a Locust Borer. I’m not 100% sure how it got in there as I feed all of Neville’s food to him by hand so I assume a Locust couldn’t of taken it in. My guess is that it was somewhere hidden amongst the plants I got for him. I’ve removed it as I didn’t want him eating it and had a look round the enclosure for anymore. I can’t seem to find anymore but I’m a little concerned if I missed any , would it be an issue for Neville if he happened to spot and eat one? If I see it I will remove it but I can’t watch him 24/7. Also just a picture so you can see him. He just finished his first shed at home. Coming up to 4 months old soon. Thank you :)
43CC0317-6EB9-4146-8813-C40367817368.jpeg

So while I was giving Neville’s enclosure an extra spray of water on account of the current hot conditions, I noticed a strange insect scuttling around the enclosure. It was a Locust Borer. I’m not 100% sure how it got in there as I feed all of Neville’s food to him by hand so I assume a Locust couldn’t of taken it in. My guess is that it was somewhere hidden amongst the plants I got for him. I’ve removed it as I didn’t want him eating it and had a look round the enclosure for anymore. I can’t seem to find anymore but I’m a little concerned if I missed any , would it be an issue for Neville if he happened to spot and eat one? If I see it I will remove it but I can’t watch him 24/7. Also just a picture so you can see him. He just finished his first shed at home. Coming up to 4 months old soon. Thank you :)
View attachment 270348
WOW! That's the biggest locust borer I've ever seen! :eek:

But seriously, I'm not sure what you meant by the sentence in bold above. The locust borer gets its name from the black locust tree (not the locust insect) on which the larvae feed.

Do you have any black locust tree branches in the enclosure, or unidentified branches that could be from a black locust tree? If so, they could be the source. IDK if the borer is harmful to the cham or not (I kinda doubt it) but if it were me, I might switch out those branches. Up to you. YMMV. ;)

It's also a little early in the year for the adult beetles to be around, so it may have come in some other way, e.g. goldenrod?

WOW! That's the biggest locust borer I've ever seen! :eek:

But seriously, I'm not sure what you meant by the sentence in bold above. The locust borer gets its name from the black locust tree (not the locust insect) on which the larvae feed.

Do you have any black locust tree branches in the enclosure, or unidentified branches that could be from a black locust tree? If so, they could be the source. IDK if the borer is harmful to the cham or not (I kinda doubt it) but if it were me, I might switch out those branches. Up to you. YMMV. ;)
Oh dear I accidentally put a sentence in bold by mistake haha. Well there’s no black locust tree branches or anything like that ? I do find it very odd. Thank you :)

Oh dear I accidentally put a sentence in bold by mistake haha. Well there’s no black locust tree branches or anything like that ? I do find it very odd. Thank you :)
No, I bolded the sentence for clarity; I didn't understand your meaning.

Must have been a hitchhiker then. Too bad in some ways; we used to have a black locust tree in the backyard of our previous house, and they are gorgeous.

View attachment 270348
it could have come out of the bark of the branches... They lay eggs below the bark.

Back
Top Bottom