• 4 different feeders

Votes: 106 11.3%
  • 5+ different feeders

Votes: 94 10.0%

• Total voters

Brad

Administrator
Staff member
On a weekly average, what kind of variety do you offer your chameleon? Your vote is anonymous, so please be honest.

well i offer: crix, roaches, mealworms, silkworms, lab flies, wax worms, plant matter, and fruit flies. wish i could give them more options still. :D
jose

My list of yum-yums ...

Crix
Roaches (banana/lobster/turkish)
Fruit Flies
Blue-Bottle Flies
Wax Worm / Moths
Butter Worms
Silk Worms
Horn Worms
King Worms
Wild Caught in the summer

Last edited:
My list...

Roaches(blatta lateralis)
Mantids(chinese)
Silkworms
Hornworms(also moth form)
Butterworms
Waxworms
Kingworms(zophobas)
Crickets

I do not feed this whole list on a weekly basis, I like to not offer certain feeders for a while so my chams will get excited for them again. Silkies and roaches are my staple and I like to offer at least one other item per week, sometimes a total of 4-5. I'm always looking for new safe bugs too.

are walking sticks prolific? im intrested in giving them a try.

Extremely. lLong cycle from egg to hatch (6 mo. or so) - but eggs don't require much care, and there is a very high hatch rate.

If they aren't native to your area though, they are more or less illegal. `Less` illegal meaning they aren't as big a potential problem in areas that have freezing winters.

Fun bugs though...

is anything illegal in texas? LOL j/k thats cool sounds too long for me. i will stick to trying to raise dragon flies maybe if i do it we can trade some of our leftovers(is there a such thing with chameleons?).

Have You All Ever Tried Potato Bugs? More Then House Flies, I Have Never Seen A Chameleon Get So Excited To Eat A Potato Bug. Also If You Have Access Or Energy To Chase Dragonflies They Love Them. Appropriate Size Chameleons Of Course. My Mellers Of A Few Years Back Could Not Get Enough Dragonflies But He Was 20 + Inch Male. The Variety Is The Secret. I Call It The Apple Pie Syndrom. We All Love Apple Pie But Just Imagine Eating It For 30 Day's Straight. Time For Some Brocoli Or Spinach Just To Have Variety. Put Your Self In Your Chameleon's ...uh!, Shoes.

yup variety is important to keeping a happy cham. no i am going to grow my own i would not want to do all that work. i have the diet down on the larva but dont know what im going to feed the adults yet. anyone know what i can feed a dragonfly??

Have You All Ever Tried Potato Bugs? More Then House Flies, I Have Never Seen A Chameleon Get So Excited To Eat A Potato Bug. Also If You Have Access Or Energy To Chase Dragonflies They Love Them. Appropriate Size Chameleons Of Course. My Mellers Of A Few Years Back Could Not Get Enough Dragonflies But He Was 20 + Inch Male. The Variety Is The Secret. I Call It The Apple Pie Syndrom. We All Love Apple Pie But Just Imagine Eating It For 30 Day's Straight. Time For Some Brocoli Or Spinach Just To Have Variety. Put Your Self In Your Chameleon's ...uh!, Shoes.

how or where you get potato bugs?
Thanks
P.S. where in Washington are you?

Which insect are you referring to as a potato bug?
This one?
http://dracoverdi.net/pages/potatoBug0.html
Or...this one?
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2204.html

Be aware of this...
"Q. Are potatoes poisonous?
A. No. The potato tuber, the part we eat, is not poisonous, however the potato plant is toxic. Green portions on the skin of the potato are also toxic."
http://www.healthypotato.com/nutrition/faq.asp

Also, potato bugs will eat deadly nightshade (a relative of the potato).

If its the Jerusalem cricket you are referring to, then it would likely eat the potato itself, but I can't guarantee that it wouldn't eat the leaves too.

Well..........walking stick is considered a pest and breed like rabbit (sexually... some species breed asexually). Because of their devestation to corps, US banned walking stick from entering US. However, there are several species native to america (beware, one of them has a nasty pungent odor when harassed)..... to get them.........hmm.........not sure......but back in Malaysia..... it is in my backyard!!!

i have the diet down on the larva but dont know what im going to feed the adults yet. anyone know what i can feed a dragonfly??

Dragonflies are generalists, they eat whatever prey is abundant. Flying termites or ants, mayflies, caddisflies, and gnats are common prey. They eat mostly other smaller flying insects. Also of interest is that the average dragonfly cian eat it's own weight in 30 minutes. It would probably be more practical to just collect the eggs or larvae(or pay some kids to do so)and raise them to adulthood, rather than trying to feed the adults enough to breed in captivity. If you are able to breed them in captivity, please post your technique, in my experience, chams go absolutely nuts for them.

On average i use 2 types a week one week they'll get butter, one roaches, one silkworms, crix what ever is on the menu that week my stable food is usually crix or silkworms

The only problem in breeding Dragonfly is that depends on species.... it takes them between 6 months to 2 years to grow from nymph to adulthood. Nymphs prey on small fish, tadpoles and other aquatic insect. All u need is a pond with lots of aquaric plants for hiding and some have to be above the water level too. SO when they need to molt into adult they can climb up onto those stem and molt. Collecting adult wild caught specimen can sometimes harvest parasite too....be careful when feed it to your chameleon. Usually during spring and summer, you will see Dragonfly in pairs...connected by their backside and start dipping their butt into ponds and lake. Thats how they lay their eggs. Aerial acrobat + Sex......LOL

This is what I feed my chameleon:
Silk worms
Crickets
Butterworms
Just started pheonix worms (she likes them but they don't draw her attention as much)
Now waiting for my horn worms to reach appropriate size so I can try them.

I never knew you can feed dragonflies to chameleons. Very interesting, wish I can get my hands on some, but in NYC its hard lol maybe in the spring ill go to central park and look like a crazy person running around chasing dragonflies. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom