food variety?

tony103

should i be trying to give my cham a variety of insects or just stick to what he likes? hes mostly a meal worm kinda guy i dont know if its just cuase there an easy catch or if he just likes them better but he doesn't seem to have much interest in crickets.? and i was woundering what you perfer to put on the food for vitamins and such.. thanks alot

definately variety- he may not like it at first (mine didn't) but they start eating it, especially if that is all you offer him for a day or two. Now he chomps down everything. Mealworms are harder to digest and you do not want them for a main diet. I have heard crickets and roaches are the best (I feed both) and they are easier to dust than meal worms. I suggest getting a calcium and mineral supplement. I use Rep-Cal brand which seems to be working great.

DanielleB said:
definately variety- he may not like it at first (mine didn't) but they start eating it, especially if that is all you offer him for a day or two. Now he chomps down everything. Mealworms are harder to digest and you do not want them for a main diet. I have heard crickets and roaches are the best (I feed both) and they are easier to dust than meal worms. I suggest getting a calcium and mineral supplement. I use Rep-Cal brand which seems to be working great.

Perfect!:p

food list

Hi all

Heres a food list

CRICKETS
LOCUSTS
GRASSHOPPERS
ZOPHOBA(SUPER WORMS)
MEALWORMS
WAXWORMS
SILKWORMS
HORNWORMS
ROACHES
BEETLES
MOTHS
BUTTERFLYS
FLYS

Neil

add to your list any non poisionous insect you find. I have heard to stay away from beetles, esp lady bugs and japanese beetles, but I will throw in a spider or anything else I catch in the horse pastures (pesicide free zone of course)

beetles

Hi all

With regards to beetles most are ok to feed your chameleons with exception to ones that are clad in warning colours ie lady birds and such as there for a reason.Ive been feeding my chams different species of beetles as long as ive kept them around 9yrs now and have had no problems in this time. They are also a abundent food source in the wild
Neil

that's good to know- we have a bunch but I can't identify them. I know we don't have many toxic ones up here- they might just taste a bit bitter -I do not know how the scientists found that out:)

Is there anything else you can feed the younger veileds? Mine shows no interest in anything besides crickets. He doesn't seem too interested in eating anything off the scheffelera or the hibiscus. I've been dusting the crickets with Rep-cal's herptivite and the calcium with vit. D. Also, about how much water does a 6 week old cham usually drink per day (in drops, I suppose?)? Thanks.

Last edited:
try silkworms. If you need smaller sizes, I recommend buying the eggs and raising them yourself.

zero742 said:
Is there anything else you can feed the younger veileds? Mine shows no interest in anything besides crickets. He doesn't seem too interested in eating anything off the scheffelera or the hibiscus. I've been dusting the crickets with Rep-cal's herptivite and the calcium with vit. D. Also, about how much water does a 6 week old cham usually drink per day (in drops, I suppose?)? Thanks.

Be very careful with the herptivite especially at a young age.

Back
Top Bottom