Food Variation

ChamNewbie6540

I'm preparing for my first Jackson's Chameleon, and I was wondering if it is alright for him to eat a diet of mainly mealworms, since "some people" are wary about having crickets in the house. Also, if you know any other feeder insects that can be refrigerated, please let me know. Thanks!

Don't feed mealworms. You want super worms. They look and act similar but are a better feeder. Crickets are a PIA but do have value as a feeder.
Dubia and other tropical roaches, silkworms, hornworms, snails can be part of their diet. Tell "some people" that the roaches are beetles or pill bugs.
If you don't want crickets in the house get an out door cage and feed them out there if you can.

Mealworms are the one feeder i'd say has almost 0 reason to be fed, ever. As mentioned, look into roaches(orange heads imo), silkworms, hornworms, BSFL, etc. I don't mean to come off condescending, but I think a lot of people join this hobby thinking they will only feed a couple types of insects in a easy routine, but that's not the case. I was one of those people!, now I find myself feeding around 10-15 insects throughout the week. Sure you can get away with a little less while providing good gutload, but if you want a Cham to thrive you'll always want to offer variety.

Super worms (mealworms are useless) can't be refrigerated but last a long time in some rabbit food and a piece of carrot.

Only refrigerated thing I can think of is blue bottle fly larvae (aka spikes )

Roaches are almost a must.

Jamest0o0 and I think a lot alike on this stuff.

Even if I fed mealworms I personally wouldn't refrigerate them because they don't eat well in the refrigerator and then what's the point? The whole thing is a cold temp like that puts any insect like a mealworms in kind of hibernation. It won't eat or drink and then just eventually dies. I feed up to 10 feeders regularly and another like 3 irregularly. I raise about 7 of those feeders now, plan to raise more. I hardly buy feeders anymore and never from pet stores

@NickTide hah I've noticed that

You can also refrigerate butterworms and hornworms for one day at a time(prolonged refrigeration will kill them)
Forgot about butterworms and didn't know that about hornworms.

O.P. Have you checked out the care sheets? Jackson's are my favorite looking cham but not the easiest. Vieldes and Panthers are your best bet if you are a beginner. Also are you planning on getting a baby?

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/

I agree with NikeTide. Despite what others's say, Jacksons are not a good 'first time cham owner' chameleon, especialy since it looks like you still have questions regarding basic care. Chams need live food, so that means with the execption of wax worms (which are only good as the occassional treat) refriderating any of the feeders is out of the question.
Veileds and Panter's are much hardier.

Feeding a Cham mealworms is like raising a child on chocolate bars. They are garbage-nutritionally. You'r ebetter off using crickets or roaches as a main feeder, and then adding two or more as secondaries i.e snails, hornworms, superworms, blue bottle flies, silkworms, etc.

I agree with NikeTide. Despite what others's say, Jacksons are not a good 'first time cham owner' chameleon, especialy since it looks like you still have questions regarding basic care. Chams need live food, so that means with the execption of wax worms (which are only good as the occassional treat) refriderating any of the feeders is out of the question.
Veileds and Panter's are much hardier.

Feeding a Cham mealworms is like raising a child on chocolate bars. They are garbage-nutritionally. You'r ebetter off using crickets or roaches as a main feeder, and then adding two or more as secondaries i.e snails, hornworms, superworms, blue bottle flies, silkworms, etc.
Ok, so I've been researching Veileds and I think im gunna try one of them. Kinda like jacksons, but easier. Plus their very pretty. I think that I'll be feeding crickets and silkworms, and possibly some dubias... Thx again everyone for the help

Ok, so I've been researching Veileds and I think im gunna try one of them. Kinda like jacksons, but easier. Plus their very pretty. I think that I'll be feeding crickets and silkworms, and possibly some dubias... Thx again everyone for the help
veildes sounds like a good idea. To me, raising dubias or orange heads is easier (cheaper and more nutritional too) than buying crickets, trying to keep them alive until used up, then cleaning the tank out for the next batch. A 10 gallon tank will supply more than enough dubias than you need.

Back
Top Bottom