FOOD FIGHT!! ????

RescueMom

Avid Member
I have read, and read, and read some more so I know I'm not alone here, but this on going "food fight" between chameleon and human is exhausting!

This isn't my first cham, so I'm not completely inexperienced. With that being said however, I'm no where near as knowledgeable as most of you on here.

Here's my issue: Waldo, like many others, goes from loving one feeder, to never wanting it again. I don't mind the "What's it going to be today?" game, and I'm NOT worried he's going to starve to death, BUT what does concern me is that when he goes for days, then into weeks, without food, he's also going without calcium and other vitamins he needs.

I know the effect it has on their bones, not to mention their internal organs (my first cham was a rescue with mbd).

Currently Waldo has a problem with his eye. I noticed it immediately after I got him (in February) . He was closing it late in the afternoon and into the evening.

After finally getting him to my regular vet in May (had to go to a different vet in March) , she did an xray and found the round orbital bone in that eye was simply not there. If he had any signs of mbd, it could be due to that, but he wasn't even a year old and had no other issues. She concluded he was either born that way, or it was gone (crushed) caused by a trauma such as falling and hitting his eye against something.

Now I'm noticing more and more that his vision isn't as good in that eye, and his pupil stays very small, where the other eye has a nice big pupil and he can obviously see much better with it.

Getting to my issue about the food, when we saw the vet last week about his foot, we also revisited the eye issue. She agrees that his vision seems to be deminishing in that eye, but there's nothing that can be done other than ensuring he gets more vitamin A in his diet, BUT HE WON'T EAT!

Hes crazy about horn worms, and the same with wax worms, but that can't be every day food.
He was eating calci worms (bsfl) , but suddenly stopped.
He did the same thing with crickets. Won't touch them now.
We can't get dubia roaches (they're illegal in Florida) but I tried him on discoids. He ate a couple, then wouldn't touch them.

I was able to get him silk worms... again. The first time they weren't impressive so I don't blame him for not wanting any. But the ones that got here yesterday are beautiful and fat, and if I were a chameleon I'm sure I'd wanna eat them ?

Not only does he NEED them, but OMGOSHHHHHHH the $$$$ ?

I am not at all opposed to putting the worms in a syringe and just smashing their guts right through and feeding him that way ? Of course I'd much rather him eat like normal, but what else can I do?

Let them morph and see if he'll eat the moths?

I could just feed him the supplement from the vet, but I really don't want to give in.

I WANT TO WIN THE FOOD FIGHT!!
? ??‍♀️

Actually I did that just a bit ago with wax worms and silks. The silks were eating the wax worms ?
He acts like he's afraid of the silks, yet giant green, biting horn worms he attacks like a beast ?
Wow! The silkies were EATING the wax worms! ? That is crazy! What if you put a silk on a branch for him to ‘hunt’? You could let the bsfl pupate into flies. Mix bsfl in with a couple of wax worms?
Some have had to just practice tough love with their chams to get them to eat. Chams can go a long time without eating, so he won’t starve himself. Just stay strong and keep offering the feeders you want him to have.

WHAAAAA-----? I need to see that to believe that lol wow I thought those silks were cute and innocent seems like i've been proven wrong!
I didn't take any pics, but I'll probably try again. I can't believe he didn't attempt to get any of the wax worms. They're his #2 fav ♥

Wow! The silkies were EATING the wax worms! ? That is crazy! What if you put a silk on a branch for him to ‘hunt’? You could let the bsfl pupate into flies. Mix bsfl in with a couple of wax worms?
Some have had to just practice tough love with their chams to get them to eat. Chams can go a long time without eating, so he won’t starve himself. Just stay strong and keep offering the feeders you want him to have.

I tried putting them on a branch or two. He either walked on top of them, or fell off the branch trying to get away.

I'm not worried about him being hungry, it's not getting any calcium or vitamins, especially the vitamin A he needs. That's my main concern ?

The little brat! I put the silkies back in with the wax worms (poor sad wax worms ) and what do you know?!?! He finally ate the silkworms!!
Here's what's left of the wax worms @NashansCamos . They look like dehydrated fruit snacks ?

I guess alls well that ends well, except for the wax worms ⚰

Attachments

• 20200819_135722.jpg
    20200819_135722.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 84
So waxworms are pretty much one of the worst things you could feed. No gutloading and they are all fat.

Per the supplementation issues. What supplements are you using and what is your schedule?

So waxworms are pretty much one of the worst things you could feed. No gutloading and they are all fat.

Per the supplementation issues. What supplements are you using and what is your schedule?
I wasn't trying to gutload the silks with wax worms ??‍♀️ I was only trying to get my stubborn, picky cham to EAT the silks by putting them in his cup with some wax worms, but the silk worms started eating the wax worms.

They didn't eat them for long, or even eat all the wax worms, and it was just the 2 silks he ate. The rest are happily eating their silkworm chow ?

I wasn't trying to gutload the silks with wax worms ??‍♀️ I was only trying to get my stubborn, picky cham to EAT the silks by putting them in his cup with some wax worms, but the silk worms started eating the wax worms.

They didn't eat them for long, or even eat all the wax worms, and it was just the 2 silks he ate. The rest are happily eating their silkworm chow ?
Right I understood that... What I meant is that wax worms should only be given rarely as treats. They are extremely high in fat.

If you would like to answer my question about the supplements you use I might be able to give you help for the supplement issues.

Feeder nutrition chart.jpeg

Right I understood that... What I meant is that wax worms should only be given rarely as treats. They are extremely high in fat.

If you would like to answer my question about the supplements you use I might be able to give you help for the supplement issues.

View attachment 275081
Sorry. I wasn't avoiding your question. I thought you thought I was a complete moron (I'm actually only part moron ?).

I don't give him wax worms regularly, but as you said, on occasion. The same with horn worms because he won't eat anything else.

He started eating bsfl, but won't anymore.

Same with discoids. Same with super worms.

When we WAS eating crickets, I was gutloading with carrots and mustard greens, but then changed to turnip greens (the smell ?). Also using flukers cricket quenched with calcium.

Dusting with zoomed calcium WITHOUT D3 daily.

twice a month he gets calcium WITH D3, alternating between zoomed and repashy calcium plus.

I think I answered your question ?

Back
Top Bottom