Food Dehydration - Pros & Cons

wsidepinoy

I've been recently wondering about food dehydration for the purpose of extending the veggies/fruits life as well as making it more so like a "chow" with less smell (kale!!) and then putting in a water source near the dehydrated fruits/veggies.

One of the pros I have heard of from dehydrating food was the longer shelf life AND nutrition is STILL intact.

Cons is that there is NO moisture in the food (obvious).

Any other opinions on this ?

I wanted to make BATCHES of a kind of feeder trail mix.

Feasible ?

Shoot your opinions !

There are dehydration machines for about 30-50 dollars.

lemme link one !

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=202267632&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=202267632&cm_mmc=shopping-_-googlebase-_-D29X-_-202267632&locStoreNum=637

the process is to slowly remove the moisture from the fruits/veggies (what ever) to make it sort of like jerky, but to extend life and then POSSIBLY i would blend in a food processor to make a personal dried gutload (with your ingredients).

you can by dehydraters for as little as 30 dollars. maybe cheaper on craigslist or online. i use one to dehydrate beef to make my own beef jerky :)

Another route, I have read of other members taking all the fruits and veggies, blending them in a blender, pouring them in ice cube trays, freezing them and then using those as gutload. It supposedly works. I don't know about any nutritional value being lost during freezing process and if that would hold true for dehydrating.

blend then dehydrate or dehydrate then blend LOL

stirred not shaken ?

i would be completely experimenting with it, but I just wanted to know if anyone has done this method to make a gutload ?

blend then dehydrate or dehydrate then blend LOL

stirred not shaken ?

i would be completely experimenting with it, but I just wanted to know if anyone has done this method to make a gutload ?

I've done the freezing method (you can see my thread under "new gutload" from earlier today)

if you try this let me know how it goes...

my two cents: I imagine it would get hard to blend if you dehydrated first.

I've done the freezing method (you can see my thread under "new gutload" from earlier today)

if you try this let me know how it goes...

my two cents: I imagine it would get hard to blend if you dehydrated first.

i'd assume so because it would be jerky like LOL you just probably single handedly saved my blender and my wifes bday present hahahah

i cant try the freezing method because I'm going to be living with my parents in law and I dont want a "i accidently ate one of these god forsaken gutloading ice cubes" or something like that, that'll get lost in translation with the screams of dismay LOL...

Another route, I have read of other members taking all the fruits and veggies, blending them in a blender, pouring them in ice cube trays, freezing them and then using those as gutload. It supposedly works. I don't know about any nutritional value being lost during freezing process and if that would hold true for dehydrating.

I'm curious about the nutrional value, whether you lose it or not, aswell. I hope someone else can chime in on that because it gets tiresome to chop up veggies daily. If i could get away with have premade cubes of goodness that I could just toss in the dubia bin it'd make life easier.

I'm curious about the nutrional value, whether you lose it or not, aswell. I hope someone else can chime in on that because it gets tiresome to chop up veggies daily. If i could get away with have premade cubes of goodness that I could just toss in the dubia bin it'd make life easier.

I asked that on my other thread as well.. I'm thinking that it might be an old wives tale---

I would be glad to see proof one way or another.

from what I was reading on one of the websites about dehydration and food dehydration specifically it actually keeps the nutrients just lacks the water...

i mean I agree with you, that is why I would LOVE to have premade cubes to just drop in as well and KNOWING what is in the stuff will make me feel ALOT better.

Yeah, the lacking water part is what I don't like about dehydration method. It also seems much easier to throw a bunch of veggies in a blender, turn it into a goop, and throw it in the freezer than it does to dehydrate... that seems like a process to me. Not to mention it would be harder for your feeders to eat.

well i was thinking as long as you have a water source near the food it would be fine ?

i mean i know there has to be people on this forum that gutload with SOLELY flukers calcium feed and water gel...

so why not dehydrated food and a water gel/pillow ?

Not saying it can't work.. it most certainely can. But if you don't have to give them water then why bother, they can load up on nutrients while getting all their hydration from wet foods.

LOL i dont think it really counts as a gutload, in a sense its more of a calcium-load ?

but i have read people doing it

Back
Top Bottom