food bowl

rangosmama

how do you put/leave food in the cage? I see that some just leave a bowl hidden in the cage.
1) how do you attach it
2) what do you keep in the bowl?

Stickers has only been with us a week. But she is on meds and being force fed med worms ( as per the vet ) said it would be the easiest way to force feed her) so she is not eating much maybe 4 worms a day at this point. i am hoping she will eat more and move on to the crickets once she is feeling better.

I use a bird cage food bowl. Since my cage is home made with screen I just poke it through the screen wall and it hangs there. My guy would only eat from my hand or off of a branch for a while but he eventually started eating from the bowl. Just took 3-4 weeks for him to figure it out.

I also use a bird bowl, I just find some branches it can hook around, and make sure there's a good way for my guys to get at it.

I took two paper clips and made hangers so I could hang a plastic cup from it. I cut the cup down so it was shorter and used binder clips then hung the binder clips on the paper clips. I didn't want any sharp things sticking out for my cham to get stuck with. It worked well. You can also do the same thing on your vines by making an area to hold your cup

how do you put/leave food in the cage? I see that some just leave a bowl hidden in the cage.
1) how do you attach it
2) what do you keep in the bowl?

Stickers has only been with us a week. But she is on meds and being force fed med worms ( as per the vet ) said it would be the easiest way to force feed her) so she is not eating much maybe 4 worms a day at this point. i am hoping she will eat more and move on to the crickets once she is feeling better.

I use two or three per cage.
One is a smallish bird food cup, attached to the side of the cage in one area usually fairly high up in the cage, under a favourite basking perch. another is a large bowl, like you would use for a great big bowl of cereal or soup, again attached to the side of the cage, usually in a back corner. and the final one is a big plastic job that is flat on the bottom of the cage. My cages are solid home-made jobs, not flimsy screen so attaching stuff is easy.

force feeding is very stressfull. If the animal will eat its prey for itself, that would be better. Can you inject the medication into insects?

I don't use any bowls just cause I don't want to lose anything in the cage (would suck if a roach got loose and I didn't know and I ran into it). I do put his food in a cup and feed it to him. If one cricket gets loose eh... they're stupid enough to crawl up the wood corners and Yoshi nails it ;). You might use one for veggies (I'm guessing you have a veiled), but my guy just eats them out of my hand.

huh. I use bowls for that exact reason! to ensure everything is eaten (or I remove it if it is left uneaten in the bowl to long).

Yeah but it leaves me with peace of mind and I don't have to worry about crickets jumping out and possibly biting him in his sleep. The big dubias have the body length to crawl up the bowl but I don't like taking chances, so I always hand feed him or offer from the cup and he almost never refuses. Sometimes if I want him to eat I'll just come back later and usually he's ready :)

Yeah but it leaves me with peace of mind and I don't have to worry about crickets jumping out and possibly biting him in his sleep. The big dubias have the body length to crawl up the bowl but I don't like taking chances, so I always hand feed him or offer from the cup and he almost never refuses. Sometimes if I want him to eat I'll just come back later and usually he's ready :)

Ah I see.
I probably use large bowls than you - nothing can get out :)

:D Probably. Mine's pretty small but I like hand feeding him cause it builds trust and so I interact with him daily.

I also prefer hand feeding because I feel like it builds trust and a bond. I was excited that he learned to eat from the bowl because I was able to have piece of mind that he ate even when I didn't have time to hand feed.

Free range is the only way to go imho. Makes them superior hunters ;)

Worms I just put on branches. He doesn't handfeed from me yet, even when I've got a bright red butterworm floppin around for its life in my fingers, he just gives me the same "eff that" look

I free-range feed when I have time to watch and ensure all is caught, or for things like silkworms that cant casue any harm if left in there. I think it best not to free-range anything that, if missed, could cause issues. Large bowls are very similar to free-range, since while the bugs are contained they do have plenty of space to move, so the cham still needs to hunt/track

thank you, i am hoping when she is strong enough she will eat on her own.
I ended up using a small medicine looking plastic cup and poked a hole and hung it on the side of the cage near her favorite spot. I added worms and veggies and a cricket. the cricket was gone so she may have eaten on her own and it looked like some veggies were eaten as well.
I force fed med. worms about 4 is all she would eat I. But yesterday she ate 5 lg crickets. but i had to open her mouth and put it in .

thank you, i am hoping when she is strong enough she will eat on her own.
I ended up using a small medicine looking plastic cup and poked a hole and hung it on the side of the cage near her favorite spot. I added worms and veggies and a cricket. the cricket was gone so she may have eaten on her own and it looked like some veggies were eaten as well.
I force fed med. worms about 4 is all she would eat I. But yesterday she ate 5 lg crickets. but i had to open her mouth and put it in .

I've never heard of medworms, do you mean mealworms? Or medium?

I've never heard of medworms, do you mean mealworms? Or medium?

LOL sorry my keyboard is acting up and then the spell check mis types my words. Yes Medium worms is what i fed her. ( vet said to try to start with these since they don't bite if she holds it in her mouth before she eats it.)

Back
Top Bottom