Food ---- 5 month old veiled cham

Johnny5958

Hey everyone, I have a question. My veiled is about 5 months and has been only getting crickets. I bought 3 silk worms and he has no interest in them. Are there better worms out there to introduce him too, or are there specific ways to introduce worms? I really want to broaden his diet but he seems to be way too picky. Help!!!

Also, I had a styrofoam exo decoration in his enclosure and his claws were constantly getting stuck. Are there any ideas out there for something else to cover the glass. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362616342.850209.jpg

Your setup looks pretty okay. I would suggest more vertical/sidewaysish branches so he can get up/down to thermoregulate. Your plants seem a bit dense too. Not much hiding space going on there. If those plants are adjustable in any way, spread them out over some sticks if possible.

Little hornworms (little because the adults are huge) would probably be good because lots of chams LOVE hornworms.

Dunno what else to say though.

That enclosure looks super tiny...

For a 5 month veiled i'd recommend a 18"x18"x36" enclosure. You can even put him in a big boy cage but I'd only recommend that if you're comfortable making sure he's cup feeding.

For one your enclosure looks glass, which can get bacteria easily since theres not allot of ventilation. (Looks glass from the pics, so sorry if it's mesh :) assuming it's glass because you have the 2 reptile hammocks to help your cham climb)

Also the feeder bowl, should be a cup in a corner. Your cham may love to poop in the bowl, then your feeders will eat the poop. The poop will become a gutload which is BAD.

As for foliage, add some live plants such as a golden pothos plant. Also it doesn't look like you have a drainage system for your mistings. I'd suggest looking around the forums for ideas.

As for feeders, i'd suggest crickets and dubia roaches for now. Throw in a couple silkworms / hornworms here and there. Mealworms are hard to digest since their exoskeleton is so hard. I use to feed my cham them only if they came out of a molt so they're softer. Also be sure to check out sandras blog for a great gutload source: https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...sphorus-ratios-common-good-gutload-foods.html

Oh...And welcome to the forums :) Didn't realize you're a new member.

Can you explain to me your lighting set up aswell? and do you know the sex of your cham? If not, take a picture of the back feet. Males have a little nub and females don't.

Thanks!

Your setup looks pretty okay. I would suggest more vertical/sidewaysish branches so he can get up/down to thermoregulate. Your plants seem a bit dense too. Not much hiding space going on there. If those plants are adjustable in any way, spread them out over some sticks if possible.

Little hornworms (little because the adults are huge) would probably be good because lots of chams LOVE hornworms.

Dunno what else to say though.

Hi SaintJimmy, when i asked about the worms in the store they said that the hornworms and mealworms were a little more risky as they have teeth and have been known to cause problems when the chams are swallowing them.

Hi SaintJimmy, when i asked about the worms in the store they said that the hornworms and mealworms were a little more risky as they have teeth and have been known to cause problems when the chams are swallowing them.

This is a crap myth.

They won't hurt your Cham.

They are incorrect.

And no, they can't eat through your chams stomach.

Horns are great for hydration.

And they don't have teeth, they have pincers, which your Cham will crush before they swallow.

For a 5 month veiled i'd recommend a 18"x18"x36" enclosure. You can even put him in a big boy cage but I'd only recommend that if you're comfortable making sure he's cup feeding.

For one your enclosure looks glass, which can get bacteria easily since theres not allot of ventilation. (Looks glass from the pics, so sorry if it's mesh :) assuming it's glass because you have the 2 reptile hammocks to help your cham climb)

Also the feeder bowl, should be a cup in a corner. Your cham may love to poop in the bowl, then your feeders will eat the poop. The poop will become a gutload which is BAD.

As for foliage, add some live plants such as a golden pothos plant. Also it doesn't look like you have a drainage system for your mistings. I'd suggest looking around the forums for ideas.

As for feeders, i'd suggest crickets and dubia roaches for now. Throw in a couple silkworms / hornworms here and there. Mealworms are hard to digest since their exoskeleton is so hard. I use to feed my cham them only if they came out of a molt so they're softer. Also be sure to check out sandras blog for a great gutload source: https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...sphorus-ratios-common-good-gutload-foods.html

Can you explain to me your lighting set up aswell? and do you know the sex of your cham? If not, take a picture of the back feet. Males have a little nub and females don't.

Thanks!

Hi GabeCastro,

His enclosure is the 18x18x36, I plan on putting him in a flexarium in the summer. I leave the doors open for a while everyday to ensure that there is air exchange and clean the glass regularly. As for the feeders I have not come across any roaches here in edmonton, i would have to order them through the mail.

Also

I have learned that this forum is the place to go.. People at the pet stores don't know what they r talking about most of the time.. Superworms bite.. I think ur ok with meal worms and hornworms.. My chameleons love hornworms. We haven't had any issues.

I have learned that this forum is the place to go.. People at the pet stores don't know what they r talking about most of the time.. Superworms bite.. I think ur ok with meal worms and hornworms.. My chameleons love hornworms. We haven't had any issues.

Super worms are not the devil!

They do bite,but its not that bad, and they rarely bite your chams.

Thanks!

Also in regards to the lighting i have a light canopy that is on a timer and a red heat lamp that is on all day and night. Spazz is a male. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362619390.577207.jpg

This is a crap myth.

They won't hurt your Cham.

They are incorrect.

And no, they can't eat through your chams stomach.

Horns are great for hydration.

And they don't have teeth, they have pincers, which your Cham will crush before they swallow.

LMAO!
Kind of like, if you swallow a watermelon seed, a watermelon vine will grow out of your stomach! Or if you swallow gum, it will stick to your ribs for SEVEN years.

Back
Top Bottom