Fogging at night

Loki's Mom

Hi. I have a male veiled chameleon. I was just wondering if it's okay to run the fogger from 9pm to 7am every night? The humidity in our house stays pretty low all the time. When running the fogger at night, the cage temp is 68F. The humidity levels stay around 70% to 80% at night while using the fogger.

The humidity will be in the 30% range.
I have the same question. My house stays consistently in the 30% range overnight and I’m worried it might cause problems. I’ve read mixed reviews that foggers are excessive for veiled chameleons. I do mist after lights out and before lights on.. is that enough? I sleep after my chameleon does should I mist more before I go to bed?

Hi. I have a male veiled chameleon. I was just wondering if it's okay to run the fogger from 9pm to 7am every night? The humidity in our house stays pretty low all the time. When running the fogger at night, the cage temp is 68F. The humidity levels stay around 70% to 80% at night while using the fogger.
Fogging is a great to and the temperature range you have is safe. I would recommend checking the Chameleon academy website @Chameleonacademy.com for caresheets and information about Fogging.

Fogging is a great to and the temperature range you have is safe. I would recommend checking the Chameleon academy website @Chameleonacademy.com for caresheets and information about Fogging.

Just piggybacking on what @MikeyBen said here, chameleon Academy also has a couple really really great YouTube videos where they talk about fogging in detail with Peter Necas. I highly recommend part one and two of those interviews. They were very helpful for me.

Have the same experiments been done on veileds where they increase in water weight overnight after fogging?

Have the same experiments been done on veileds where they increase in water weight overnight after fogging?
In the wild? No because you can’t get into the areas they live right now. Petr mentions it in the podcast, and also mentions how much fog rolls in in those areas. This is his first hand experience there seeing it, but he wasn’t doing these fog experiments when he was there, he was there prior to that. Go listen to those podcasts and I think you’ll get your answer.

@Beman says that you shouldn’t use a fogger unless your night fogging from temps between 55-65. Anything higher can cause a respiratory infection he said so that’s why I stopped using my fogger I keep my Cham around 68-72 at night so I don’t fog. @Beman has more experience on this topic maybe he can chime in.

Last edited:
Hi with fogging no size fits all, different enclosures, different global locations, different species, so you have a veiled. From what I understand having a constantly high night humidity can over hydrate ( fog rolls in and out ) so fluctuating humidity, a lot run a fogger 15 mins per hour ( when temps are low) and rather than trying to create this high humidity levels in the full enclosure it's often better to direct this in the general sleeping area

@Beman says that you shouldn’t use a fogger unless your night fogging from temps between 55-65. Anything higher can cause a respiratory infection he said so that’s why I stopped using my fogger I keep my Cham around 68-72 at night so I don’t fog. @Beman has more experience on this topic maybe he can chime in.
Beaman is a woman . And a pretty awesome one at that . The majority of your comment is correct trying to run your fogger 65 or below you’re within 2° of the temperature recommended . Should be fairly easy to get those temperatures down 2° I think it would be worth it to try to achieve that with the rewards that come from fogging and the hydration of your animal . there is such a thing as over hydrating . But I’ve been yet unable to achieve that . All my foggers run and have been running for years At nighttime temperatures 65 or below though I can’t say that it always maintained those low temperatures plus or -3 to 5° . The benefits from this hydration method far outweigh the ability to drop my temperatures two more degrees .

68 is still considered safe. Cooler levels are always better. I happen to keep mine between 60-65 at night fogging or not fogging. :)

I have the same question. My house stays consistently in the 30% range overnight and I’m worried it might cause problems. I’ve read mixed reviews that foggers are excessive for veiled chameleons. I do mist after lights out and before lights on.. is that enough? I sleep after my chameleon does should I mist more before I go to bed?
Hey there... So fogging is a fantastic thing to incorporate into your husbandry when your night time temps are low below 68. with your 30% humidity you are on the edge of being ok for daytime if you have a veiled. But for night you really want it higher.

Do keep in mind some chams prefer daytime mistings.. I have a veiled that will only drink seeing moving water from misting. He also will clean his eyes in the mist. You can incorporate a misting during the day either right when lights kick on or late evening when temps in the cage start dropping before lights off.

If you start your own thread we can review your cage set up and give you tips on how to get better levels. :)

Back
Top Bottom