Foggers and room temperature question

JCola

Hi all. Have a quick question. I read somewhere that if you use a humidifier/fogger that you should only use it if your cage temperature is less then 65 degrees. Can anyone let me know if this is correct. My cage temps drop to around 68-69 at night but can’t get any lower and was looking to increase my humidity at night. Thanks

Hi. Yes, you only want to use a humidifier/fogger when your temps are no higher than at least 68-70 ( the lower the better). High heat plus high humidity increases the risks for respiratory infection. At a night temp of 68-69, I believe it would be ok to boost humidity. Just make sure to have very good air flow/ventilation.

Thanks for the reply. I have a hybrid cage (front and top and bottomare screen and the other three sides are screen but covered with plastic sheets). Bottom has the drain mat, so there are a bunch of holes. What type of ventilation would be good? Would I need a computer fan resting on the top of the enclosure? I do have a ceiling fan in the room that runs in low but now sure if it helps. Thanks for the advice.
58C56BFA-D8A7-4231-8817-684C9BE0F8F2.jpeg

Thanks for the reply. I have a hybrid cage (front and top and bottomare screen and the other three sides are screen but covered with plastic sheets). Bottom has the drain mat, so there are a bunch of holes. What type of ventilation would be good? Would I need a computer fan resting on the top of the enclosure? I do have a ceiling fan in the room that runs in low but now sure if it helps. Thanks for the advice. View attachment 328002
That should be plenty of ventilation. :)

Hi. Yes, you only want to use a humidifier/fogger when your temps are no higher than at least 68-70 ( the lower the better). High heat plus high humidity increases the risks for respiratory infection. At a night temp of 68-69, I believe it would be ok to boost humidity. Just make sure to have very good air flow/ventilation.
So this is an area where here I’ve struggled, particularly this summer. Even with AC going I cannot get the temps down in my room that low, and that being the case what should I do, decrease or not do much misting at all? I don’t fog at all during the summer but I did have some night misting sessions going and I’m thinking coupled with the heatwaves we’ve had it might’ve contributed to my little guy’s demise, though I can’t be totally certain

So this is an area where here I’ve struggled, particularly this summer. Even with AC going I cannot get the temps down in my room that low, and that being the case what should I do, decrease or not do much misting at all? I don’t fog at all during the summer but I did have some night misting sessions going and I’m thinking coupled with the heatwaves we’ve had it might’ve contributed to my little guy’s demise, though I can’t be totally certain
I’m unable to get a decent enough night time temp drop, so I don’t use a fogger or boost humidity very much. I have the Mist King give a couple of 15 second mistings during the night to give a small humidity boost to around 60%.

I’m unable to get a decent enough night time temp drop, so I don’t use a fogger or boost humidity very much. I have the Mist King give a couple of 15 second mistings during the night to give a small humidity boost to around 60%
That makes sense. Here in MA the last month has been brutal with high heat and high humidity. I usually turn off the AC and open the windows at night hoping for a natural cooldown but at least several mornings it was in the high 70’s with and ambient humidity of 65+. It’s luckily not like this for too long in the year but aside from moving the enclosure to a room more easily controlled, maybe making sure a fan is going every night during the summer and having an ice pack on the top of the cage would help?

As soon as the lights go out my mister goes off for 1.5 minutes. Meanwhile my fogger goes on for 30 minutes. I also set my room ac to 70, and shut my room fan off.
This keeps my enclosure 69-70 degrees and the humidity 75-95%…..
Until the mist/fog cycle starts in the am.
Fog for 30 minutes and mist for 1.5 minutes.

My enclosure is bioactive with lots of plants. So it helps keep the humidity high during the night.

The ice pack on top of the enclosure helps on the really hot nights.👌🏼

That makes sense. Here in MA the last month has been brutal with high heat and high humidity. I usually turn off the AC and open the windows at night hoping for a natural cooldown but at least several mornings it was in the high 70’s with and ambient humidity of 65+. It’s luckily not like this for too long in the year but aside from moving the enclosure to a room more easily controlled, maybe making sure a fan is going every night during the summer and having an ice pack on the top of the cage would help?
Also in mass and my ac has had a rough time as well this year! Set at 64 and wont drop past 68 :(. Luckily we should be getting close to winter! Where we struggle again with humidity! 😂

Also in mass and my ac has had a rough time as well this year! Set at 64 and wont drop past 68 :(. Luckily we should be getting close to winter! Where we struggle again with humidity! 😂
Oh I definitely can't even get it that low in my smallest room. Third floor of an apartment building, and facing North East, so we cook in the heatwaves. I'm considering moving my enclosure to our bedroom where the AC at least has a better impact.

Back
Top Bottom