Fogger?

NashansCamos

Chameleon Enthusiast
So none of my chams use foggers during the night. I know successful chameleon owners who both use them and don't. My questions: are foggers highly reccomended? How much maintenence do foggers require? since I currently live in england where the humidity is relatively high so is it really worth it? its about 50-60% during the night in their cages.

If it’s not broke, don’t try to fix it! If your methods are working and your chameleons are healthy why change things, make it more complicated or add another expense? I have live plants in my enclosures to keep the humidity up and a mist system that mists periodically through the day. I have never used a digger and I have never had an issue and all of my chameleons are thriving.

Attachments

• 3A53C16C-3C35-4BA0-A554-260AFAE8EC07.jpeg
    3A53C16C-3C35-4BA0-A554-260AFAE8EC07.jpeg
    218.7 KB · Views: 96
  • 60F2E81F-641D-46FC-8588-0725E1CF6EDB.jpeg
    60F2E81F-641D-46FC-8588-0725E1CF6EDB.jpeg
    183 KB · Views: 98
I had the same problem about humidity and got a fogger and fogger got everything too wet and the fog got on the ground so I didn’t manage to get some results. Then I got a humidifier and it was okay but it was making too much vibrations and sound. So I got new terrarium with all live plants and that did it now its 60% during the day and its 85-95 during the night. I hope this helps anything..

I'm not sure if I should get one... I have a panther and a veiled and i've read that veileds need high humidity at night. But I do not want to waste my money and time setting it up, like @Mr.Jones2015 said my veiled is 2yrs old and healthy and she's been like that without a fogger her whole life. What do you guys think?

Scale would build on the ultrasonic atomiser thingy.
From what i can gather fogger not really needed in uk as like Madagascar is a island and has relatively high humidity at night in mistt cases

If it’s not broke, don’t try to fix it! If your methods are working and your chameleons are healthy why change things, make it more complicated or add another expense? I have live plants in my enclosures to keep the humidity up and a mist system that mists periodically through the day. I have never used a digger and I have never had an issue and all of my chameleons are thriving.

exsctly this approach is rhe killer if any new idea and conserves rhe iniwledge and strategies at a point whichnis in the deep PAST.
Most pople say “ir works fir me” and orovide NO single proof. And there Sre usually no proofs except “i think and I believe”

if you dig deeper, usually health issues aee unseen, ignored or not reported and facts aee vigorously ignored, such as e.g. Longevity..

in Yemen chameleons,
People would seesr on everytjing is Oak and they will let severa chameleons in a row to die in age od 3-5 yesrs and swest and even convince everyone that it is normal and that thy had a happy life and ended up sying natural desth. It is NOT true as rhey would be able ti live two to theee times longes

while ai am not advoxstion to do immediately whatever which idiot comes up with and
Definitely recommend to hear forst the justification amd logic
But
i will never ever agree with an aporoaxh “never chenge the winning formula”, as itnis a killer of any progress.

I'm not sure if I should get one... I have a panther and a veiled and i've read that veileds need high humidity at night. But I do not want to waste my money and time setting it up, like @Mr.Jones2015 said my veiled is 2yrs old and healthy and she's been like that without a fogger her whole life. What do you guys think?

you should definitely het one as this is the most natiral hydration method in chameleons
But
Yiu need to operate it only at NIGHT AND NOT AT DAY
and this at LOW
TEMPERATURES

So none of my chams use foggers during the night. I know successful chameleon owners who both use them and don't. My questions: are foggers highly reccomended? How much maintenence do foggers require? since I currently live in england where the humidity is relatively high so is it really worth it? its about 50-60% during the night in their cages.
I have used a fogger all of Beman's life with me. He was about 4-5 months old when I got him. Yellow- orange urates barely any white to them. Two weeks later after reading about foggers I got one. I have a top fill version which makes it so much easier. I run it for 5 hours at night and I do cool off the room down to 60-65F.. Since I have used it he has never had an issue with dehydration, urates are always white. I do have misting that I run during the day before the heat lamp is on and after the heat lamp is off. But not for drinking because he rarely if ever uses it. With the fogger they are in 85-92% each night.

So I have only had the experience of having him for the first two weeks without it... He was drinking consistently off his pothos during that time and still had barely any white to his urate. So the difference I see is night and day for him. I would not have it any other way then to use this method. He is now just over 2 years old.

Now Baby Bane... I have only had him 12 days. The first two days here he drank consistently. Urates were yellow to orange with about half white. This was only the first two days. After that I have not seen him drink once. He also now has perfect urates without any sign of dehydration.

I may be very wrong here... But I never understood how our humidity level at night had anything to do with a decision not to fog. My ambient humidity where I live is 60-70% indoors but I do not have visible moisture in the air that I am actively breathing like I would if a humidifier was running around me. So I believe the humidity level is in relation to the fog bank we want to provide to them not just what a night time humidity level is without fog. It is the Cool wet air that they breathe that is actually providing the hydration. That is my understanding of it though.

I may be very wrong here... But I never understood how our humidity level at night had anything to do with a decision not to fog. My ambient humidity where I live is 60-70% indoors but I do not have visible moisture in the air that I am actively breathing like I would if a humidifier was running around me. So I believe the humidity level is in relation to the fog bank we want to provide to them not just what a night time humidity level is without fog. It is the Cool wet air that they breathe that is actually providing the hydration. That is my understanding of it though.
Humidity is relative. ;) It rises naturally when the temp goes down & verse vica.

And if I SHOULD get one, which one and where would i get it from
Get a mister/fogger for $20 on Amazon. Cut part of the side out of a plastic 64 oz. Ocean Spray container for a water reservoir. An appliance timer will work for timing. Lay it on its side. Put it on top of your cage and adjust for vapor flow. You will need to experiment a little.

For my 2 cents worth. I think it does depend on setup and where you live.
Don't look at what they are using to achieve the goal, but the goal itself.

We want cool temps and 90%+ humidity. If this is achieved the goal can be met.

It get confusing because we see success with and with out. The secret is the goal. Cool temps <70 if possible, and saturated air, aka 90+ humidity .

On "Fog" specifically in this context means suspended water particles. I have heard the argument about water particle size being too big, but I think this is full of holes. 1) we don't know what size is absorbance by chams. And 2) it does not account for evaporation.

Always remember to keep your foggers clean, this is the killer not the fogger.

As for my experience I use foggers, and have seen benefits in over all behavior and look. My male does not have a tongue making it difficult for him to drink. He will adjust to be under the fog at night often.

Also as a note I have large enclosures that allow the animals to "choose" I did this intentionally to see the behavior as natural as I could . Mine do not always sleep in fog, but I do seem to notice it more in dryer weather.

Get a mister/fogger for $20 on Amazon. Cut part of the side out of a plastic 64 oz. Ocean Spray container for a water reservoir. An appliance timer will work for timing. Lay it on its side. Put it on top of your cage and adjust for vapor flow. You will need to experiment a little.

I am going to put together some diy info on this. I have found it better than many commercial models, I have both. It is cheper and I like it because I just dump it out and let it dry out each day. Helps keep the mold and bacteria away

I have used a fogger all of Beman's life with me. He was about 4-5 months old when I got him. Yellow- orange urates barely any white to them. Two weeks later after reading about foggers I got one. I have a top fill version which makes it so much easier. I run it for 5 hours at night and I do cool off the room down to 60-65F.. Since I have used it he has never had an issue with dehydration, urates are always white. I do have misting that I run during the day before the heat lamp is on and after the heat lamp is off. But not for drinking because he rarely if ever uses it. With the fogger they are in 85-92% each night.

So I have only had the experience of having him for the first two weeks without it... He was drinking consistently off his pothos during that time and still had barely any white to his urate. So the difference I see is night and day for him. I would not have it any other way then to use this method. He is now just over 2 years old.

Now Baby Bane... I have only had him 12 days. The first two days here he drank consistently. Urates were yellow to orange with about half white. This was only the first two days. After that I have not seen him drink once. He also now has perfect urates without any sign of dehydration.

Which fogger are you using?

Back
Top Bottom