Fogger Setup

davisc12

i used a humidifier last night for the first time and found my entirr floor soaked the next morning. What are ways to minimize

Hi welcome to the forums. I would recommend getting some sort of drainage system to move the water from your enclosure into a bucket or drainage tray below. If you have live plants placed on the bottom this would also help

Hi welcome to the forums. I would recommend getting some sort of drainage system to move the water from your enclosure into a bucket or drainage tray below. If you have live plants placed on the bottom this would also help
I am gonna figure out drainage for his permanent tank which im trying to decide on in another fourm if you have any input. but my problem with water is not on the ground of his enclosure but my room itself. I woke up to a 10 foot circle of soaked hard wood floors from the humidifier
20231015_214142.jpg

I am gonna figure out drainage for his permanent tank which im trying to decide on in another fourm if you have any input. but my problem with water is not on the ground of his enclosure but my room itself. I woke up to a 10 foot circle of soaked hard wood floors from the humidifier View attachment 345042
Oh I see… I guess the only thing I can think of is a shower curtain to try to contain some of it? Wrap it around the sides leave the front open? @crosscutts @Beman @elizaann2 @MissSkittles maybe one of you has a better suggestion ☺️

You want to put the cage up on a table and get it away from the floor. You then want to either get corrugated plastic sheets and cut them to size to fit the back and two sides. OR get duct window film and put this on the same panels put the double sided tape on the frame of the cage. Follow the directions for application. Do not cover the front of the cage though.

Then you need a drain pan. You could buy one from dragon strand or modify a hot water heater pan so the cage sits up off the bottom of this. Some have plumbing already put in and then you attach pvc to it to then go into a bucket.

But with fogging comes water. No way around it because it will always flow down to the lowest point. Which means it will flow out of the cage onto the surfaces around the cage.

I agree with everything @Beman said. You can also mess with the intensity level and how long the fog machine is on for. One other thing I do is have a towel on the floor to soak up any potential water.

I agree with everything @Beman said. You can also mess with the intensity level and how long the fog machine is on for. One other thing I do is have a towel on the floor to soak up any potential water.
Thank you! My plan for tonight is to lay some towels down. Hopefully his bigger enclosure comes this Friday and i can rly get things dialed in and plexi glass the back and part of the sides and figure out drainage.

I have two sides covered with vinyl which works great and allows me to spray from an additional angel. It also adds a barrier to prevent a fire with all the electrical cords. It sounds like you are using a regular humidifier instead of a proper fogger. If so, use less salt in the water. A proper fogger really is needed over a humidifier. I set mine on a cabinet next to the cage and the tubing laying on top of the cage. Its adjustable so i can have a heavy mist if its dry or lighten it up if the humidity is ok. Just make sure you dont run it directly hitting your cham. RI respitory infection is a real threat so i have basking branches in different location.Aldo i have a splitter on the fogger as i have two cages. You just have to fiddle with water buildup in the tubing. I put it for one cage so it goes over the big plant and the extra water drips into the plant. the other cage its over a stick that goes all the wzy to the top corner as she likes to drink the water on the screen but doesnt ever sit there at night. Also you dont want it on all night that would definetly lead to RI. I run mine from ,5-6am Also dont use a heated humidifier. Chams get cold at night which helps with their healing and sleeping.as long as temps in room dont drop below 50-55 degrees, should be fine.

I have two sides covered with vinyl which works great and allows me to spray from an additional angel. It also adds a barrier to prevent a fire with all the electrical cords. It sounds like you are using a regular humidifier instead of a proper fogger. If so, use less salt in the water. A proper fogger really is needed over a humidifier. I set mine on a cabinet next to the cage and the tubing laying on top of the cage. Its adjustable so i can have a heavy mist if its dry or lighten it up if the humidity is ok. Just make sure you dont run it directly hitting your cham. RI respitory infection is a real threat so i have basking branches in different location.Aldo i have a splitter on the fogger as i have two cages. You just have to fiddle with water buildup in the tubing. I put it for one cage so it goes over the big plant and the extra water drips into the plant. the other cage its over a stick that goes all the wzy to the top corner as she likes to drink the water on the screen but doesnt ever sit there at night. Also you dont want it on all night that would definetly lead to RI. I run mine from ,5-6am Also dont use a heated humidifier. Chams get cold at night which helps with their healing and sleeping.as long as temps in room dont drop below 50-55 degrees, should be fine.
Salt? I have not been using salt. I put 1 bottle of poland spring in and let it go until it shuts off when it runs out. What is the purpose of salt?

Are there foggers that run off of a controller? I dont see many options for foggers on the market. Any that you would recommend?

Salt? I have not been using salt. I put 1 bottle of poland spring in and let it go until it shuts off when it runs out. What is the purpose of salt?

Are there foggers that run off of a controller? I dont see many options for foggers on the market. Any that you would recommend?
Don't add any salt... You want RO water for anything you run with water. You want this so minerals do not build up in the equipment causing the machine to fail.

Don't add any salt... You want RO water for anything you run with water. You want this so minerals do not build up in the equipment causing the machine to fail.
Oh ok i understand now, thank you. thats not an issue i have an rodi filter for my salt water tank rewf tank. Should i remove the last di stage for use with the fogger or will using will the 0tds rodi be ok?

I apologize I did not register you were using a humidifier vs a fogger....perhaps I read your post too late at night....

An actual reptile fogger is a completely different thing. This is what I use:

https://www.amazon.com/REPTI-ZOO-Hu...-4-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

You put the fog tube over the top of your enclosure or you can find a way to fasten it so that the end of the tube points down into your enclosure (this is what I do...see attached photos). This fog machine you can control the level of intensity that it creates fog and then you can use a 24 hour countdown timer like this one here to control when your fog machine goes on/off during the night.

I live in a super dry and warm part of the United States, so what has worked best for me is setting my timer up to my fog machine to go off every 30 minutes between the hours of 12:00 am to 6:00 am. I hand mist my enclosures around 10:00 pm just before I go to bed to give my enclosures a nice humidity spike. The water droplets on the leaves will help the fog stick around at night as well.

For your convenience, I have marked where my intensity level is on my fog machine. With this set up on top of 3 sides of my enclosures being covered in corrugated plastic, I am able to maintain proper humidity at night where I do not see my chameleons drink during the day and their poops/urates show me they are nice and hydrated :)

Let me know what questions you have!

Attachments

• IMG-8432.jpg
    IMG-8432.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG-8433.jpg
    IMG-8433.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG-8434.jpg
    IMG-8434.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG-8435.jpg
    IMG-8435.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 24
This is great info. Thank you and thank you for posting the photos, I am very visual. So it seems most people just run the fogger for a set time period meaning i probably wont find one that runs off of a controller?

Oh ok i understand now, thank you. thats not an issue i have an rodi filter for my salt water tank rewf tank. Should i remove the last di stage for use with the fogger or will using will the 0tds rodi be ok?
I have heard of others that have reef tanks using the same filter for the water for the chameleon. I do not know enough about it to really tell you specifics though.
Might use the search function in the forum and look up RODI see what has been posted on it. :)

This is great info. Thank you and thank you for posting the photos, I am very visual. So it seems most people just run the fogger for a set time period meaning i probably wont find one that runs off of a controller?
You are very welcome, I am visual too :). I'm not sure if you will find one that runs off of a controller, you will have to look around and see what you can find.

Thank you! My plan for tonight is to lay some towels down. Hopefully his bigger enclosure comes this Friday and i can rly get things dialed in and plexi glass the back and part of the sides and figure out drainage.
I have seen people use a Home Depot garage sink that comes with the legs as a base and drain. I myself have used 8th inch plexiglass silicone to the screen on three sides to keep the moisture and spray inside of the cage.

I have seen people use a Home Depot garage sink that comes with the legs as a base and drain. I myself have used 8th inch plexiglass silicone to the screen on three sides to keep the moisture and spray inside of the cage.
How do you get the bottom tray to drain completely? I See some people use a heat gun and push the middle down but most trays I see have a grid pattern which would certainly hold water.

How do you get the bottom tray to drain completely? I See some people use a heat gun and push the middle down but most trays I see have a grid pattern which would certainly hold water.
The sinks from Home Depot have no grids they drink quite well

Attachments

• IMG_8479.png
    IMG_8479.png
    143.8 KB · Views: 24
Back
Top Bottom