Fogger for chameleon?

pascal89

I have a repti fogger set up in my open screened cage for a veiled chameleon, I was told to keep it on at all times, and I've done some research saying to have it on in cycles. Looking for some advice on which is correct

Most people on here do cycles from what I've read. I have a small fogger I turn on three times a day for a few minutes at a time

definitely cycle it. I have a reptifogger as well and I turn it off and on a couple times a day and will leave it on for a few hours at a time (not full blast). Chams need a rise and drop in humidity throughout the day

I hate the repti fogger ive seen them not work right out the box. I use a cool mist humidifier with a hose. Try a cone cool mist humidifier for like 40 and get some hose and a cuplet. :) works wonders. Also veileds dont need a constant high humidity, 60% most the time is great. Too much like 80% all the time can cause a uri or ri.

How often you want to cycle really depends on where you live - and the species- a veiled needs less than a Jackson and your going to want to run it more in Nevada than New York. Carlton had a great response on how to figure out what anyone's timing should be - His response is way better than mine but I can't find his - hopefully he'll read this and tell me what I've forgotten
What you do is to check your cage about 1/2 after lights on and spray till you get to the top of your species range - then check every 1/2 hour to see how long it takes to get to the bottom of the range (from the care sheets) and go from there - some like to be sprayed for longer before they will drink and some only like drinking from drippers - I'm pretty sure that there are also members that go by the natural rainfall in the area that the chameleon comes from-
Your fogger will keep the humidity up but if it doesn't have a drip or a spray your chameleon might be actually able to drink enough - if it's not creating droplets.

I use my my reptifoggers on a timer with the 15 minute increments. They are like $4 at home depot or lowes. Makes it easier to adjust rh as needed. Especially the difference between winter and summer. For a veil though, you may just want to stick with misting bottle x2-4 times a day as needed. 45-55% is perfectly ok and will allow for proper shedding. Anything constantly higher with veils, and you risk R.I. . When in doubt, just ask. No question is ever unnecessary.

i have a cool mist humidifier ( $40.00 Walmart) with a washing machine discharge hose connected to it. ($7.00 for the hose- Walmart) it fits perfectly into humidifier and do not need silicone or anything to make it snug.

i have it turn on for 30 minutes (medium power) and then 1 hour off... this process repeats all day until 2 hrs before lights out.

hope this helps.

I was not aware Veileds would need a humidifier or fogger, Yemen is desert landscape, is it not?;)

Nick

Veiled's do ok in lower humidity, as long as they have a dripper. You still want humidity spikes of 50 - 60 percent a few times a day. It helps them shed.

You can definitely overdo it though, and I would definitely not keep a fogger on all day... especially if you live somewhere where the humidity goes up in the summer. I would let the fogger go off a couple times a day for about 10 - 15 minutes, in addition to your normal misting schedule, and any drippers you're using.

I was not aware Veileds would need a humidifier or fogger, Yemen is desert landscape, is it not?;)

Nick

It is probably a matter of degree...the average indoor human house is pretty dry and the typical setup dries out fast under focused heat lights. They wouldn't need a lot of fogging every day; nothing like a jackson's for example, but a higher humidity cycle in the morning or late afternoon seems to suit them (in my experience anyway).

From what I've read the regions of Yemen where veileds are found isn't true desert. They are more common in thickly brushy coastal river valleys that get soaked with fog off the ocean on a regular basis.

It is probably a matter of degree...the average indoor human house is pretty dry and the typical setup dries out fast under focused heat lights. They wouldn't need a lot of fogging every day; nothing like a jackson's for example, but a higher humidity cycle in the morning or late afternoon seems to suit them (in my experience anyway).

From what I've read the regions of Yemen where veileds are found isn't true desert. They are more common in thickly brushy coastal river valleys that get soaked with fog off the ocean on a regular basis.

I agree with this

Thanks for the info!

Nick

I would not use a fogger at all on a veiled. Chances are that the humidity in your house is plenty. You will probably cause more harm than good. I would provide dripping water and mist him once in the morning.

I would not use a fogger at all on a veiled. Chances are that the humidity in your house is plenty. You will probably cause more harm than good. I would provide dripping water and mist him once in the morning.

This might be fine for some situations but may NOT work for everyone. Case in point...my first veiled was fine for his first year with a dripper and hand misting while I lived in one house without central AC. I moved. His cage situation was quite different (partly due to trusting one of those cheap humidity gauges) after the move, and I lost him to a bowel obstruction. He was showing what we now know are signs of dehydration...hard orange urates, increasing constipation, difficulty shedding...but at that time these were not recognized as warning signs.

Monitor your cage humidity levels. If you need occasional fogging to moderate the humidity do so. If you don't, don't!

Nick
Check out ADEN. I thought Yemen was mostly desert with oasis here and there also, however the coast line day and night tempts are so different. I live in California where the winter temps are as low as 40 at night and avg 75c° during the day' It's lowland desert and very close to temps in alot of Yemen but then there's Aden, always a perfect 65 to 75 at night and 80 to 100 during the day with heavy morning fog that comes from the sea.

Check out ADEN. I thought Yemen was mostly desert with oasis here and there also, however the coast line day and night tempts are so different. I live in California where the winter temps are as low as 40 at night and avg 75c° during the day' It's lowland desert and very close to temps in alot of Yemen but then there's Aden, always a perfect 65 to 75 at night and 80 to 100 during the day with heavy morning fog that comes from the sea.
This thread is from 2014. You probably won't get much of a response if at all.

Nick

I think the temps/humidity in the wadis where veileds live is quite different from the arid deserts that surround them. In the same vein, veileds, as I understand it, have a 90% mortality rate in the wild after 11 months . Presumably, we’re shooting for better in captivity.

I think the temps/humidity in the wadis where veileds live is quite different from the arid deserts that surround them. In the same vein, veileds, as I understand it, have a 90% mortality rate in the wild after 11 months . Presumably, we’re shooting for better in captivity.
Wow 90% after 11 mos or before? It would make sense if it was before 11 mos same as most hatchlings-sea turtles etc falling prey to the overwhelming abundance of predators ..Also would explain the large clutches they throw at the predators. But a 90% death rate after 11 mos seems off.. especially seeing as how they aren't fully sexually mature-The males anyway. What is killing them in the wild after 11 mos? I know there are monitor lizards there and hawks but is there something else? Humans...

Wow 90% after 11 mos or before? It would make sense if it was before 11 mos same as most hatchlings-sea turtles etc falling prey to the overwhelming abundance of predators ..Also would explain the large clutches they throw at the predators. But a 90% death rate after 11 mos seems off.. especially seeing as how they aren't fully sexually mature-The males anyway. What is killing them in the wild after 11 mos? I know there are monitor lizards there and hawks but is there something else? Humans...

90% mortality rare by the time they reach 11 months. :)

Back
Top Bottom