Fluorescent lights

Sansi LED grow light bulbs work well. You can find them on Amazon for about $20. I have used them for over a year and have been very happy.

SANSI Logo
I have a couple of their LED pads. You'd only need one for a 2x2x4 enclosure.
My plants are growing like crazy. They last 5x as long as a fluorescent, penetrate much further into the enclosure, and don't contain lead. More bang for the buck. ;)

6500 daylight bulbs work with T5 fixtures. Or LED lighting that is cham safe.

If all you are using is your T5 fixture and UVB bulb this is probably why they are trying to die off on you. :)
@Beman what do you mean by cham safe led? I just got a repti sun led uv fixture did i make a mistake in making this purchase?

I just got a repti sun led uv fixture did i make a mistake in making this purchase?
IDK of any full-spectrum/white LEDs (i.e. plant lights) that wouldn't be chameleon safe.
Check the archives or google for confirmation.

The LEDs in the Reptisun unit are plant lights; the UVB is the T5 fluorescent tube.

IDK if it's a mistake. IMO that unit is overpriced for what it delivers, but since you've got it, I'd probably use it until there's a good enough reason not to—or to replace it with something better.

You can get a T5HO 6% with fixture & reflector for about $60. You can get an excellent LED plant light (50K hrs., 5 yr. warranty) also for $60 (or less).

That's pretty close to the Reptisun unit until you take a close look at the specs. of each separately.

@Beman what do you mean by cham safe led? I just got a repti sun led uv fixture did i make a mistake in making this purchase?
I have seen a few people get either colored LED's or have so many lights on top it might as well be the sun. So these would be no good.

Yours is a bit overpriced for what you get... When I make the switch from daylight bulbs to LED I am going to go with the Arcadia Jungle dawn bars. I have been really impressed with them and what others have said about them.

Non Cham safe would be in regards to the total amount. Sansi is great. But if you put 12 on you cage it might be too much. Now days you can buy those 300W grow panels from the hardware store. I think that is what people would be concerned about.

As far as how much, I have found that 32w LED is enough for good plant growth, at least the plants we use for chams. In my beardie cage I have the GE 32W (I think theses are over priced) It is a great bulb in that at 28" I have high light out door desert plants that have been growing great. I have other set ups and in the bar format 32w again is not as intense in one spot, but produces decent growth. With a double bar config of 64W I get great bushy growth, with faster rates and thicker foliage. None of these are too bright as too hurt the eye by a casual glance.

IDK of any full-spectrum/white LEDs (i.e. plant lights) that wouldn't be chameleon safe.
Check the archives or google for confirmation.

The LEDs in the Reptisun unit are plant lights; the UVB is the T5 fluorescent tube.

IDK if it's a mistake. IMO that unit is overpriced for what it delivers, but since you've got it, I'd probably use it until there's a good enough reason not to—or to replace it with something better.

You can get a T5HO 6% with fixture & reflector for about $60. You can get an excellent LED plant light (50K hrs., 5 yr. warranty) also for $60 (or less).

That's pretty close to the Reptisun unit until you take a close look at the specs. of each separately.
how many of the sansi led lights would you recommend for a 2x2x4 enclosure

I have seen a few people get either colored LED's or have so many lights on top it might as well be the sun. So these would be no good.

Yours is a bit overpriced for what you get... When I make the switch from daylight bulbs to LED I am going to go with the Arcadia Jungle dawn bars. I have been really impressed with them and what others have said about them.
Good choice especially if got the same brand pro uvb t5ho they can connect reducing the amount of power outlets required & timers too 😁

I also use Sansi, but I use two of the 36 watt LEDs. I have a pic of the lights hanging above the cage, but I can send a pic of the cage brightness tomorrow if you are interested.
20210117_104524.jpg
20210117_104530.jpg

Can you post a pic so I can get an idea of how bright they are
I've posted pics many times, but as to how bright they are is deceptive due to the TTL metering in the camera.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/simple-uvb-fixture-supports.177896/#post-1600595
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/cage-criticism.180759/#post-1638857
Can't find the other one I was looking for, so here it is again.
1612530660239.jpeg
If you compare this one to the links, you'll see what I mean—this one looks more washed out, though all three were taken with the same lights on. The pic of the bottom of the enclosure is made look brighter by the same metering. Tricks of the camera.

I think the 36 watt bulbs would also work, but like Mendez's setup, I think you'd need at least 2, which would also coast a bit more than one pad ($80 + fixtures vs. $60 self-contained).

EDIT: Also just found this one. Again, lighting appears different brightness, but due to the camera's electronics and my poor photog. skills.
1612532240890.png

Last edited:
I have a couple of their LED pads. You'd only need one for a 2x2x4 enclosure.
My plants are growing like crazy. They last 5x as long as a fluorescent, penetrate much further into the enclosure, and don't contain lead. More bang for the buck. ;)
Thanks I will check in to that one.

Back
Top Bottom