Fluorescent lights

HankeyPoo

Established Member
My plants don’t seem to be doing very hot in my enclosure... I have to constantly take them out and bring them back to life by putting them out in the sun. what is the best Chameleons safe fluorescent light or lights??

6500 daylight bulbs work with T5 fixtures. Or LED lighting that is cham safe.

If all you are using is your T5 fixture and UVB bulb this is probably why they are trying to die off on you. :)
Thank you!! I was wondering about this too. My plants haven't started dying.... but I know with my bad rep for plants I was a little scared. 😅

Thank you!! I was wondering about this too. My plants haven't started dying.... but I know with my bad rep for plants I was a little scared. 😅
Yeah I’m scared my plants will die as well I’m not very good with plants 😅 but I think my cham is killing her plant as well. She eats from her pothos but she goes and bites every leaf and then the leaves die 🙄

Yeah I’m scared my plants will die as well I’m not very good with plants 😅 but I think my cham is killing her plant as well. She eats from her pothos but she goes and bites every leaf and then the leaves die 🙄
Sansi LED grow light bulbs work well. You can find them on Amazon for about $20. I have used them for over a year and have been very happy.

SANSI Logo do you just put
Sansi LED grow light bulbs work well. You can find them on Amazon for about $20. I have used them for over a year and have been very happy.

SANSI Logo
do you just put it in the double bulb holder? Like they sell with the chameleon kit?

This??

Attachments

• 1081838D-778F-4E15-8765-2755831CEF45.png
    1081838D-778F-4E15-8765-2755831CEF45.png
    226.5 KB · Views: 82
The key to a green thumb lies solely with your lighting. I have never done anything special care-wise for my plants. The only thing I have done is provide good grow lights. Personally, I use two 36-watt Sansi bulbs on my cage:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BRKG7X1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also closed off the front main door on my cage (leaving the maintenance door at the bottom exposed) and I get plenty of heat so I don't need to use a basking light (incandescent/halogen). Good grow lights are definitely worth the money, make your plants nice and strong, and provides your cham with a nice bright cage.

The key to a green thumb lies solely with your lighting. I have never done anything special care-wise for my plants. The only thing I have done is provide good grow lights. Personally, I use two 36-watt Sansi bulbs on my cage:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BRKG7X1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I also closed off the front main door on my cage (leaving the maintenance door at the bottom exposed) and I get plenty of heat so I don't need to use a basking light (incandescent/halogen). Good grow lights are definitely worth the money, make your plants nice and strong, and provides your cham with a nice bright cage.
Do you place them on the top screen of your enclosure or hang them above?

I hang the lights up above my screen top, but only because the hot air takes longer to escape with all sides of my enclosure closed off. Before I closed all the sides of my cage, I did set one sansi bulb on top of the screen and it worked fine, however you probably need two lights for it to warm up enough in the cage to be a replacement for an incandescent or halogen bulb. With one sansi bulb and the front screen unobstructed, I found a basking spot of 80 degrees at 4 inches away. If I had two bulbs, that distance could be farther. I only added the second bulb when I closed off the front.

Here are pictures of my setup:

20210117_104524.jpg
20210117_104530.jpg

I used pvc to create a frame that I can drill into and hang up the bulbs--as opposed to drilling straight into the ceiling. I also used these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZB65Z3D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 to get my light to hang at an angle so I can have uvb and heat concentrated into one spot to make it more "naturalistic." I got the light domes at home depot for 13 bucks each (California) which are large and deep. I found that my previous fixtures weren't deep enough which let light escape sideways and not into the cage.

Overall, after buying and returning many different lights (quad fixtures, yu meil leds, etc) on amazon, I like this set up the best.

In simple terms, it really just depends how much heat is being produced, most likely you won't need to lift them up above your cage. Do you have a temp gun that you can check with?

In simple terms, it really just depends how much heat is being produced, most likely you won't need to lift them up above your cage. Do you have a temp gun that you can check with?
And as long as the lights are the appropriate distances away

Yes I do- I’m having trouble getting plants to grow ... not die...would be great! I’m currently switching to real verses fake silk plants- so hopefully this will work... I’m setting up my new 2x2x4 enclosure with the live plants and they aren’t doing well- so I’m going to give your set up a try- thank you!

Yes I do- I’m having trouble getting plants to grow ... not die...would be great! I’m currently switching to real verses fake silk plants- so hopefully this will work... I’m setting up my new 2x2x4 enclosure with the live plants and they aren’t doing well- so I’m going to give your set up a try- thank you!
You are welcome! Glad I could help. You can always message me if you have any setup questions once you get the lights.

Back
Top Bottom