Flirting Chameleons

theresaintucson

My female ambanja, Peach, is walking all over the side of her cage that faces my male Ambilobe's cage. Kraken is really watching her from his perch in his cage. At what age are panthers ready to breed? Do I really want to try breeding my chameleons? I wonder what an ambilobe/ambanja cross would look like?

My female ambanja, Peach, is walking all over the side of her cage that faces my male Ambilobe's cage. Kraken is really watching her from his perch in his cage. At what age are panthers ready to breed? Do I really want to try breeding my chameleons? I wonder what an ambilobe/ambanja cross would look like?

If you take a look on kammerflage creations one of the forums sponsors, they have a bunch of "cross breeds" which you can take a look at, they are awesome! I think about a year old for each is a good time for you to introduce them and see how it goes. Make sure you do all the research and have everything ready before just to be safe.

Males are able to breed at 6 months, females 8-9 months. Needless to say, it is unhealthy for the females to be breeding at that age, because they need to finish growing.

I have somethings I would like to point out. One, you have been caring for chameleons for 2 1/2-3 months, not nearly enough time to master husbandry enough to consider breeding. I'm not saying your care is not good, but three months experience is not sufficient enough to think about breeding your pair. Also, mixed morphs, while very good looking for the most part, don't have a great market. They are really good for pets, but if people are wanting breeding stock, they will buy pure bred. Another thing is that if people bred mixed morphs, it spreads out the characteristics so much, that you could have a clutch, that has 4 a different morph's blood.

Here is something to read as well:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/some-thoughts-breeding-2612/

Males are able to breed at 6 months, females 8-9 months. Needless to say, it is unhealthy for the females to be breeding at that age, because they need to finish growing.

I have somethings I would like to point out. One, you have been caring for chameleons for 2 1/2-3 months, not nearly enough time to master husbandry enough to consider breeding. I'm not saying your care is not good, but three months experience is not sufficient enough to think about breeding your pair. Also, mixed morphs, while very good looking for the most part, don't have a great market. They are really good for pets, but if people are wanting breeding stock, they will buy pure bred. Another thing is that if people bred mixed morphs, it spreads out the characteristics so much, that you could have a clutch, that has 4 a different morph's blood.

Here is something to read as well:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/some-thoughts-breeding-2612/

I TOTALLY AGREE with your points about breeding. It didn't take me very long to come to the conclusion that I am not going to get into breeding. I used to successfully breed and sell several parrot species years ago and I remember the commitment in time, money and care that was necessary to do it well. It was never about the money and the money wasn't great either!
So thanks for reminding me that I just don't want to go down that road.

I TOTALLY AGREE with your points about breeding. It didn't take me very long to come to the conclusion that I am not going to get into breeding. I used to successfully breed and sell several parrot species years ago and I remember the commitment in time, money and care that was necessary to do it well. It was never about the money and the money wasn't great either!
So thanks for reminding me that I just don't want to go down that road.

lol and the best thing about chameleons is that you usually wont just get one clutch from your female since they can retain sperm so you could have alot more babies! :p

Back
Top Bottom