Flightless fruit flies escaping!

How in the heck do you keep the fruitflies inside the enclosure? They fit right through the screen. I have FFFs all over my house. They're in my hair and driving us all mad! I've tried the fruit trick and it didn't work. They just climb right out of the cage every time. Help!

Moonie planking for some fruit flies lol
20210820_173900.jpg

Not sure other than what Amanda said. Maybe you can get a small aquarium put some sticks in it and feed your cham in that. The screen on top will keep them in. You will have to handle him a couple times a day though... I'm sure someone else has a better idea. Or get a small plastic container you know like 5in. by 8in. Put a banana slice or piece of apple in one of the corners, that will hold em for a bit. Also put just a little in and when he's done eating put a little more. Just a few guesses. I've never used FFF's. Maybe get some very small pin head crickets

I am betting you do not have a chunk of fruit for them to gather in.... You can cut a piece of egg carton... Set the banana chunk in there and then find a place in the cage where you can set this into plants and branches so baby can get to it still. This will keep all the fruit flies around the fruit and not in your house.

I am betting you do not have a chunk of fruit for them to gather in.... You can cut a piece of egg carton... Set the banana chunk in there and then find a place in the cage where you can set this into plants and branches so baby can get to it still. This will keep all the fruit flies around the fruit and not in your house.
I have a banana chunk. I also tried an orange and a peach to attract the fruit flies. I swear my fruit flies are broken and don't realize they're supposed to eat fruit lol

Not sure other than what Amanda said. Maybe you can get a small aquarium put some sticks in it and feed your cham in that. The screen on top will keep them in. You will have to handle him a couple times a day though... I'm sure someone else has a better idea. Or get a small plastic container you know like 5in. by 8in. Put a banana slice or piece of apple in one of the corners, that will hold em for a bit. Also put just a little in and when he's done eating put a little more. Just a few guesses. I've never used FFF's. Maybe get some very small pin head crickets
Their enclosure is actually a reptile aquarium with a screen top. The fruit flies immediately crawl to the top and right through the holes.

So maybe you could make sure the sides of the enclosure are completely dry before feeding them, so they can't crawl up the walls so fast.
Also, try using some of the fruit fly mix/food and putting that into the egg carton cup. Maybe they'll hang around it better.

I know I'm late to the party here but I'd like to add that using Glad's Press 'n Seal plastic wrap has worked wonders for me. I just keep them in a 10 gal and dot it plastic with needle holes for air and cover the plastic with the tank lid for weight

Back
Top Bottom