Flies!?

Rst_Cham

Chameleon Enthusiast
So, I cup feed my 4 month old panther, Max, his crickets using a feeder that I made, I put hornworms and silkworms on branches, and I hand feed BSFL and BBFL. Max is a good eater (though he's still refusing dubia despite all my efforts-should I try a different kind of roach?) Today, my first blue bottle fly pupae finally emerged as a fly (I just got the fly habitat set up yesterday!) and I let it loose in Max's enclosure. Wow! I wish I'd gotten video of my boy chasing that fly around his enclosure. I can see why flying insects are great for enrichment (and I'm still waiting on my BSFL to turn into some flies as well.) It was REALLY fun watching him hunt that fly down. My question is, how often can I feed blue bottle and black soldier flies and how many? I have a lot of pupae right now, though I will feed excess flies off to my frogs. Thanks!

Last edited:
I am sooooo looking forward to trying BSF with Beman! He loves the larvae so I can only imagine how crazy he is going to go for them flying. He loved dubia at first and now I am lucky to get him to eat two at each feeding... So they are growing in their bin... So fun having huge roaches that I am taking care of lol.

I am sooooo looking forward to trying BSF with Beman! He loves the larvae so I can only imagine how crazy he is going to go for them flying. He loved dubia at first and now I am lucky to get him to eat two at each feeding... So they are growing in their bin... So fun having huge roaches that I am taking care of lol.

I'm going to keep trying the dubia for a bit but eventually they'll be going out to the chickens if no one eats them. Even my frogs spit them out. I now have FIFTEEN insect containers/habitats/breeding setups in my laundry room, so if no one is going to eat dubia, something else could be in that space. lol

Hi, I followed the link to your thread and skimmed through the posts, but couldn't find what you are referencing...

My bad!

Attachments

• 6E3D1CAE-9C84-446B-B65B-67873242F54B.png
    6E3D1CAE-9C84-446B-B65B-67873242F54B.png
    524.4 KB · Views: 60
I'm going to keep trying the dubia for a bit but eventually they'll be going out to the chickens if no one eats them. Even my frogs spit them out. I now have FIFTEEN insect containers/habitats/breeding setups in my laundry room, so if no one is going to eat dubia, something else could be in that space. lol
Yeah I don't have anything else that will eat them so if it is still a no go I am going to try to see if any of the guys at the pet store want them. :(

I feed my chams bottleflies all the time. They can be slowed in the fridge to be dusted. They'll gutload on water mixed with bee pollen and any other powders. They tend to like honey. I dab it on a cotton ball and they feed off of that. I don't feed the larvae off personally.

Btw orangeheads are excellent, much better than dubia IMO. They'd be my only roach If I had to choose one. Adults get larger than dubia, but nymphs are perfect.

Hey James are they similar in fat, protein, and all the rest of the stuff in them compared to a dubia? Where do you get yours from?

Hey James are they similar in fat, protein, and all the rest of the stuff in them compared to a dubia? Where do you get yours from?

I don't know their exact nutrient content, but I'd be willing to bet it is very similar. By appearance, they are much meatier. They also like a bit more protein in their diet, but generally eat the same things as dubia. I have had a colony for a couple years now, but I originally got mine from nick barta. He has them on fullthrottlefeeders

I don't know their exact nutrient content, but I'd be willing to bet it is very similar. By appearance, they are much meatier. They also like a bit more protein in their diet, but generally eat the same things as dubia. I have had a colony for a couple years now, but I originally got mine from nick barta. He has them on fullthrottlefeeders
Yeah I tried to find them on his site and all the other sponsors but no one carries them. I buy from rainbowmealworms and they don't have them either. :( Gonna try ebay like Brody said but I have never done ebay so this should be interesting.

Back
Top Bottom