flexwatt heat tape controller for roaches

fluxlizard

Avid Member
What are you guys who use the flexwatt style heat tape under your roach bins doing for a thermostat?

I'm building shelves today for this.

In the past I just kept the roaches ambient room temp but I want to heat them up and get lots of breeding going this time around. I don't have the huge numbers of breeders I used to have and need to build up again fast.

I am going to run 2 16' long shelves for now, one above the other and am wondering if there is something inexpensive I can use for the thermostatic controller or if I will have to unplug some incubators and use one of my herpstat pros...

hook a light dimmer switch in with the flex watt and control the output with the switch. It wont control thermostatically, but will remain at a constant temp as long as ambient room temp does not flux too much.

I also connected mine to a dimmer switch. I used extension cords to wire it.

20131217_122721.jpg

hook a light dimmer switch in with the flex watt and control the output with the switch. It wont control thermostatically, but will remain at a constant temp as long as ambient room temp does not flux too much.

Yeah- I don't think that will work as my room temp fluctuates pretty wildly depending on time of year- sometimes temps climb into the 80s in the early fall/late spring and windows have to be opened during the day to cool it down some. At night it can get near 50 most of the winter, even though days climb into the low 70s often.

I appreciate the thought though. Would be a good idea in a normal home.

Yeah- I don't think that will work as my room temp fluctuates pretty wildly depending on time of year- sometimes temps climb into the 80s in the early fall/late spring and windows have to be opened during the day to cool it down some. At night it can get near 50 most of the winter, even though days climb into the low 70s often.

I appreciate the thought though. Would be a good idea in a normal home.

I don't know that room temp is going to matter as much with flex watt. It is designed differently that a heat mat.

if the room temp gets cold the dimmer will not help hold the container at a constant temp. It will still put out the same amount of energy as always. If its cold you can turn it up to adjust for the cold or you can buy one of the 30 dollar zoo med thermostats and plug the flex watt and dimmer into it, or leave the dimmer off. IF you leave off the dimmer it will get hot and cold, hot and cold. Keep the dimmer low and you may get more constant heat.

The room I keep my roaches in gets in the low 50s in the winter (and can also go up to the 70s during the day.) I still use a dimmer. It doesn't seem to impact the roaches in a negative way (still breed just fine.) I just shoot the temp gun in there every once in a while and adjust the dimmer accordingly. The temp is lower at night, but not too bad.

Back
Top Bottom