fleas

Damicofam6

Established Member
We have two dogs and they got fleas recently, we treated them and cleaned our whole house but they came back multiple times. We thinking it's just time to "flea bomb" the house but I'm not sure how safe that is for my chameleons. I have two chameleons and both of their cages have a funnel attached to the bottom for drainage so I cant really move the cages somewhere else without moving the tables that have holes cut out for the funnels that lead to the drainage buckets. I also have a mistking set up leading to both cages so I'd have to remove the tubes too. Do you think covering their cages for a couple hours would be good enough to block the flea spray? Sorry if this is kinda confusing but any suggestions would be helpful.

I hate fleas they are so hard to get rid of I had to flees bomb my place 3 time one year because they Got so bad.

Yea fleas suck. I get them every so often usually around this time of year. Anytime I'm struggling to get rid of them I use K9 Advantix every 2 weeks instead of once a month on the dogs. Works every time

Definitely move them before you flea bomb! Have you tried Trifexis? I live in Florida where fleas are rampant all year long and my dog does not have a flea on her!

Definitely move them before you flea bomb! Have you tried Trifexis? I live in Florida where fleas are rampant all year long and my dog does not have a flea on her!
I'm not sure the names of everything we have tried but this has been ongoing for about 3 weeks of shaving our dogs, treating our house and dogs. I'll look up Trifexis

I'm not sure the names of everything we have tried but this has been ongoing for about 3 weeks of shaving our dogs, treating our house and dogs. I'll look up Trifexis
Definitely don't get near bongs or arms. Use one of those lights. Thank you see you at the deli if you have a lot of leaves with the dogs. They're not that expensive

Depending on the chemicals in the bombs, covering the cages with a plastic drop cloth and removing the chameleons to temporary spot would be fairly safe. Mist the cages down good, before returning them to it, to be extra sure and make sure the bombs can't contaminate their water source.

Flea bombs are useless. the spray does not get under kick plates and other areas that all stages of the flea life span are found. I have used a product called Fleastoppers powder that gets brushed into carpets and some remains after vaccuuming. It continues to kill the larvae as they hatch. With fleas you can't just kill the adults, but need something that keeps on working or they will be back.

I believe that most of them say right on the package that you should remove plants, birds & even fish. I might be mistaken. We did a bomb last yr but I removed him, his cage, his mister and everything he comes in to contact with regularly. Its no doubt a whole lot of work, but I know I'd much rather be safe....why chance it? If you are not able to remove everything, I'd find another way to deal with the fleas. Good luck.

Trifexis is great! It's oral and also protects against some internal parasites. As far as the house, try boric acid. I used to powder the carpets with it and let it set for an hour or so before vacuuming but the chams should be moved first! Another natural remedy that really works is diatomaceous earth, that's lizard friendly.

Be careful with the medications you are using with your dogs for fleas:
1. K9 Advantix is very toxic to cats - not sure if you have any but if you are going to use it, please keep your cats out of reach of your dogs for several hours after application. This being said, it is a great option for fleas because it kills all life stages.
2. Trifexis, while another good option for fleas, has some common side effects (including vomiting) - but more seriously, when used in a situation where your dog still has another medication in their system called ivermectin, it can cause very very serious side effects and these two drugs in combination are contraindicated. If your dogs have had another anti-parasite medication containing ivermectin recently, I would consult with a vet before you give Trifexis
3. Once your dogs are rid of their fleas, Revolution can be a very good option in a house where you have an infestation because the product stays on the skin of the dog and when they shed/their skin cells fall to the ground, the drug will actually kill any fleas in the vicinity. But Revolution is crappy for high burdens of fleas on dogs, so I wouldn't use it until you are ready to prevent your dogs from getting re-infested

This is why I have a hairless cat hahaha. There Ain't No Bugs on that thing

Attachments

• 20160911_130734.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 128
Back
Top Bottom