fiscal shrike

johan

Hi,

I have a Fiscal Shrike male, female and young one who is currently threatening the dwarf chameleon population. I have seen a chameleon carcass hung in the thorntree along with lots of bees and a small mouse.

How can I stop these shrike without killing them. I have an airgun and have had a few opportunities to eliminate them but after finding out there is a young one I will have to shoot all three.

Can I use insects to satisfy the shrike so they no longer kill the chameleons? Or is there any way to chase these birds away for good?

My chameleon population seems to be decreasing rapidly. Last year by this time I could easily spot 5 of them, now I only know of one.

Leave them alone. If they are going to kill and eat a cham so be it. Such is natures way. Trust me, if a large enough cham comes by, they will eat the little bird, thus the cycle of life continues.

How about a scarecrow of some sort? Maybe that would scare them away? Not really trying to be funny...ok I'm trying to be a little funny, but it might work! :D

Leave them alone. If they are going to kill and eat a cham so be it. Such is natures way. Trust me, if a large enough cham comes by, they will eat the little bird, thus the cycle of life continues.

lol isn't it part of the cycle when a human destroys life?

yeah i would have to agree that human have top every cycle well at least humans with guns :p

I am definitely someone who believes you should always use/eat what you kill. However I dont think you will be wanting to eat these birds but in this case.....I would kill them.

Eh I only kill things that are taking away from me. My fascination for picking off squirrels is simple. They eat my figs and pecans out of my trees.

Think I found a pic of you Jared. :p

0511-0809-0914-1157_Cartoon_of_a_Redneck_with_a_High_Powered_Rifle_Clip_Art_clipart_image.jpg

i havent bought beef or anything like that for home use in 5 years cause i practice kill what u eat (i dont barbie up squirrels lol just deer elk moose etc) but squirrels field mice and anything that steps into my yard and damages anything ends up friends with the bottom of the trash bin :p that and i practice predator control for fish and wildlife with various predators

Believe me I am all for eat what you kill and I NEVER kill animals for no purpose. I once killed a cape cobra snake and then ate the thing just to justify its killing.

Problem here is that these are the cape dwarf chameleon and they are a threatened species (http://www.renosterveld.org/data.html). They have no chance against these birds. And no they can't catch a bird since they only become 40mm in size. I now found two young and two adult shrikes. While pretty, they simply hang around these bushes waiting for these poor chameleons who are already struggling to survive.

I was thinking of putting something up near the chameleon bushes that will deter the shrikes. Like a rubber snake. Only problem is that will also scare the living shit out of the chameleons. (Maybe if I put that in each of the throrn trees where the shrikes store their food?)

I have decided that if I find another chameleon impaled on the thorn tree the shrikes will get a lead bullet each.

If those chameleons are endangered and the shrike is plentiful, i say go for killing the shrike without waiting for another to die.

Yeah in that case...take them out with extreme prejudice.

I've always wanted to use one of these on something small and fury.
gatling.jpg

i havent bought beef or anything like that for home use in 5 years cause i practice kill what u eat (i dont barbie up squirrels lol just deer elk moose etc) but squirrels field mice and anything that steps into my yard and damages anything ends up friends with the bottom of the trash bin :p that and i practice predator control for fish and wildlife with various predators

Come on up!!! I can share lots of food with you. David is going on a buffalo shoot in Dec, he has 5 deer tags and 1 elk tag. I don't have to buy a lot of meat. We are still finishing off the deer from last year!!

If those chameleons are endangered and the shrike is plentiful, i say go for killing the shrike without waiting for another to die.

I am not a gun person, that is my husband, but those birds need to die. Endangered is bad extinct is forever, don't let it happen.

Johan kill that bloody bird.... Die ding se MOER!!!!

Skiet it with a bloody wind biks boet!!!!

If it kills the Bradypodion then it must Voet sek!!!!

Sorry to the ones who dont speak Afrikaans.\

Wher you live by the way?

Paul R:D

Paul, Hier van Paarl af! Sien jy is daar bo in daai bedrywige plek!!!

I am actually quite a good marksman! I had the bird in my sight already but I didn't shoot cause you don't see those around to often either. They have 3 young which are now really big and maybe they will leave soon. I will give them another few days.

I posted this before but in what way can I boost the chameleon population? I threw out some old bait which includes pilchards, chokka and mussles under the bushes where they live hoping it will attract some flies for them.

Water is pretty much sorted out since there are sprinklers there that go every morning.

Any other ideas?

Back
Top Bottom