First Vivarium Build

Recon

Well I am very excited about my build its coming along good. My inspirations were from these two builds pulling ideas from both.

LLLReptale Build
Joshs Frog build

Both were very good how to's.

Now I had a lot of concerns the whole screen vs glass thing. Which I am sure like most people when considering a vivarium for a chameleon. The photos aren't the best quality they were taken on a phone so they aren't the greatest. Enjoy!

Placing Rocks

After placing Rocks in foam. It was harder then I thought. The foam drys slow and does not support the rocks well. Next time I am going to use rocks that will sit on there own.

After applying silicone and a good amount of coco fiber. And shop vac the rest out.

Built the front barrier and foamed in the grape wood. Used extra rocks to hold it this time. I placed two hoses under the barrier to keep the water flowing.

I will post more as I go.

Looks very cool! I have a couple of questions though since you state that this is for a chameleon.

Question 1, will this be a waterfall tank like the two in the demos you watched? If so, are you aware of the potential problems that waterfalls pose for chameleons? Waterfalls are a breeding ground for bacteria and are difficult to keep clean enough for the chameleon to use as a source of drinking water. Insects and often the chameleon itself will poop in the water. Great care has to be taken in keeping these systems very clean! Most members do not use them because of the maintenance required.

Question 2, will this enclosure have a large pool of water at the bottom as shown in the demos? If so, it is not appropriate for a chameleon. The chameleon could easily drown with that much water below it. Also, this amount of water in a glass terrarium will probably cause too much humidity for a chameleon. They require quite a bit of ventilation and this much water/humidity will make them prone to an upper respiratory infection (URI).

While these waterfall cages are definitely cool, I don't think they are an appropriate environment for a chameleon. They work great for some other animals though. Perhaps since you've done so much work already (and such a great job!) you might consider holding off on a chameleon and getting an animal that will fair better in this environment. No reason you can't also get a chameleon down the line. I would just hate to see you go through all this work and end up with a sick or dying chameleon because the environment is not right.

Also, what kind of chameleon were you planning on getting?

Check out the enclosure threads on this forum. There are some great ideas and I'm sure with your creativity you will come up with something really cool that is more appropriate for keeping a chameleon happy and healthy!

I agree with the above. That enclosure may offer ventilation but it will only be big enough to house pygmies.

I cut away most the foam. And cleaned up the sides of the tank. I laid down the josh's frog substrate, liner and ABG. The ABG is really nice soil but a bit hard to work with in the small space. I placed the plants in the ABG. Then topped the ABG off with moss to keep the soil covered to prevent impact. In the middle I placed zoo med rocks all the way down to the substrate liner to prevent soaking the soil.

I also was concerned about too much humidity also. I setup a fan system using two labtop fans from radio shack. With a 12v charger and plexiglass attaching with a glue gun. The fans are set up to pull the air out not push it in. Its been sitting at these levels for a few hours. I am going to leave it for a few days and see if it raises.

The water fall looks nice but if the humidity raises I might put it on a timer or off completely. I also don't want it swampy either so I want to make sure its not soaking everything.
Later up front I am going to place rocks to where there is only 1/4 inch of water above the gravel. Since its really only there for looks and help with water changes.

What kind of chameleon do you plan on getting as no chameleon can live in that enclosure. Pygmies would drown and it's to small for any other kind. It would be great for thumbnail darts if you add leaf litter and brom though.

I cut away most the foam. And cleaned up the sides of the tank. I laid down the josh's frog substrate, liner and ABG. The ABG is really nice soil but a bit hard to work with in the small space. I placed the plants in the ABG. Then topped the ABG off with moss to keep the soil covered to prevent impact. In the middle I placed zoo med rocks all the way down to the substrate liner to prevent soaking the soil.

I also was concerned about too much humidity also. I setup a fan system using two labtop fans from radio shack. With a 12v charger and plexiglass attaching with a glue gun. The fans are set up to pull the air out not push it in. Its been sitting at these levels for a few hours. I am going to leave it for a few days and see if it raises.

The water fall looks nice but if the humidity raises I might put it on a timer or off completely. I also don't want it swampy either so I want to make sure its not soaking everything.
Later up front I am going to place rocks to where there is only 1/4 inch of water above the gravel. Since its really only there for looks and help with water changes.

Absolutely beautiful But way too wet for a cham of any kind. You know how to create beautiful functional vivs and this is one of the nicer ones I've seen My tree frogs would have loved this. If you haven't bought a cham yet please consider tree frogs. I had several kinds a couple years ago before I moved. They come in wonderful colors and the african tree barks like a dog. No kidding every night at 10pm sharp he would bark. Fans will not be enough. Chams live in trees not down close to the ground water, mosses and ponds. As terrific as your creation is it is not for chams. They get respiratory infections very easily and all kinds of bacterial diseases if too wet. Please don't be offended in any way. I really think this viv is crazy beautiful Thanks and let me know if I can help further

How are the fans working out? I too want to add a small one for better air circulation. Does this really matter in exo-terra vivariums?

What kind of chameleon are you getting? Have you researched their needs? I would not put a chameleon of any species in your new set up. Frogs yes, chameleons, no. I've seen many a chameleon die a slow death in that type of setup. When chameleons were new to the USA that's how we tried to keep them and failed horribly. We've learned a lot since then, and shared it on forums such as this one. All you have to do is search some enclosure threads on here, find some you like and try to emulate them. Hint: they won't have waterfalls or ponds. :)

How are the fans working out? I too want to add a small one for better air circulation. Does this really matter in exo-terra vivariums?

The fans work good they are not powerful enough to be noticed like an on going wind inside. But maybe some with experience can input if it will do and good.

Thank you all for your comments kind words and help. If you all could help me convert it to work please I am all ears. Now I am also putting a monsoon system on also. Do you think if I just unplug the falls and gravel the front. Run only the monsoon an suck the water out of the gravel for drainage it would work?

I will be putting in a panther chameleon. He is about 4-5 month old I plan to build another cage in the next few months. This was the test cage to try it all out. The next cage is a exo terra 24x18x36 (medium x-tall).

Also as you can see I need something on or around the branches. I have some pothos how would I attach them any recommendations?

Um…. can you come build me a viv for my dart frogs?! haha this is gorgeous with the waterfall! I wouldn't use it for a panther… for several reasons that everyone else has already made clear, but it'd be a perfect frog habitat!

Thank you all for your comments kind words and help. If you all could help me convert it to work please I am all ears. Now I am also putting a monsoon system on also. Do you think if I just unplug the falls and gravel the front. Run only the monsoon an suck the water out of the gravel for drainage it would work?

I will be putting in a panther chameleon. He is about 4-5 month old I plan to build another cage in the next few months. This was the test cage to try it all out. The next cage is a exo terra 24x18x36 (medium x-tall).

Also as you can see I need something on or around the branches. I have some pothos how would I attach them any recommendations?

To be honest here, there isn't an easy way to make that suitable for a chameleon. Having any substrate is typically discouraged as it make it hard to clean, will give places for crickets to hide, and if ingested by your Cham will cause impacting. As others have suggested search for enclosure set ups.

All that being said it turned out very nice! Just not for a Cham.

I bet there would be people lining up to buy this from you for a frog or amphibian tank. Why tear it apart for the cham Just start the new tank without all the water. This tank is absolutely beautiful. I mean that. If I still had my frogs Heck, I'd buy it.
Sell it in the classified and use the cash to build the new one. Chalk it up to experience with chams. There are pre-made screen cages for chams that you could customize. I bet that it will be equally as beautiful if not better

Thank you, I will pick up a new cage. I looked at the enclosure thread they were functional. But I need something that can be put in my living room. Does anyone have a link to some great builds/cage set ups, that I might have missed. I just need one that doesn't look like a pot grow going on in my living room. Post some links please.

Thank you, I will pick up a new cage. I looked at the enclosure thread they were functional. But I need something that can be put in my living room. Does anyone have a link to some great builds/cage set ups, that I might have missed. I just need one that doesn't look like a pot grow going on in my living room. Post some links please.
Hi Glad you are going with a more appropriate cage . Here is a link that has a very clever drainage system for live plants. I thought you mike get some of your creative juices going if you saw what he did. Very functional for chams
https://www.chameleonforums.com/showthread.php?t=126118&referrerid=27450
See ya

Back
Top Bottom