First Veiled Chameleon

It just means he has a skin pigment difference From normal veiled chameleon‘s
They didn't say anything to about that to me when I picked him up, is this something I should be worried about or that may cause issues for him?

They didn't say anything to about that to me when I picked him up, is this something I should be worried about or that may cause issues for him?
No not at all it’s just a different Morphe color but it’s good to know what type of chameleon you have

Okay, its a good start from the photos. Youll need a few more vines in there, they have bendy ones on amazon for about 9 to 11 dollars theyre six feet long. You see where that stick you have that's going closer to the top, you may want to move your basking bulb closer to that so hes only a few inches from basking light. Other then that, how are you watering his enclosure? I didnt read anyone elses posts yet but from what I see in the photo just asking from that. also your vitamins, should be Calcium without D3 almost every feed. Calc with D3 once every two weeks and Vitamins once ever two weeks.

I saw someone recommended a better UVB cause the dome lights wont work well. Basking spot should be in the high 80s to 90 mid enclosure around 74-78 and close to bottom 67-72. Give or take on the mid n bottom lvls. Itll take trial an error to get the right bulb and misting. As long his urates are white he is hydrated cause most chameleons are super shy to drink infront of people

if you want to you can fill out this form and we'll be happy to do a husbandry check for you to make sure your care is in tip top shape.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Okay, its a good start from the photos. Youll need a few more vines in there, they have bendy ones on amazon for about 9 to 11 dollars theyre six feet long. You see where that stick you have that's going closer to the top, you may want to move your basking bulb closer to that so hes only a few inches from basking light. Other then that, how are you watering his enclosure? I didnt read anyone elses posts yet but from what I see in the photo just asking from that. also your vitamins, should be Calcium without D3 almost every feed. Calc with D3 once every two weeks and Vitamins once ever two weeks.

I saw someone recommended a better UVB cause the dome lights wont work well. Basking spot should be in the high 80s to 90 mid enclosure around 74-78 and close to bottom 67-72. Give or take on the mid n bottom lvls. Itll take trial an error to get the right bulb and misting. As long his urates are white he is hydrated cause most chameleons are super shy to drink infront of people
I'm misting his enclosure at least 4 times through out the day to keep his humidity between 50-70%, but he also has a little dripper. His urates are white and his poop seems healthy! Ive been dusting without D3, but have calcium with D3 and reptivitamins on hand for the week after next as the shop had just givent those supplements the day before I picked him up. Im about to order his new light so I will add vines to the cart as well.
Thank you for all the info!!

if you want to you can fill out this form and we'll be happy to do a husbandry check for you to make sure your care is in tip top shape.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

• Your Chameleon - Veiled chameleon, I'm about 99.999% sure hes a male, but his tarsal spur is still on the small side. He's 4 weeks old and has been in my care for 3 days.
  • Handling - Besides oogling over him when we first brought him home before introducing him into his enclosure he hasnt been handled.
  • Feeding - I'm offering him 10 dusted/gut loaded crickets per day, unless a couple are hiding out in his enclosure hes eating all of them.
  • Supplements - He's currently only been fed the repticalcium without D3
  • Watering - He has a little dripper system, as well as me misting at least 3 or 4 times a day, I have only seen him drink once
  • Fecal Description - His urates are white and his feces are a little soft from what I have cleaned up so far
  • History - As i've only had him 4 days I dont have a ton of history.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - He's in the medium rebtibreeze full screen tank.
  • Lighting - I'm currently using dome lights (which i now know is a no no) But a longer tube UVB is on the way.
  • Temperature - My heat gun is reading basking spot at about 86-89 degrees, and floor of the cage is at 74. Over night it drops to around 68
  • Humidity - His humidity stays constant around 45-50%, but right after misting it spikes to 60%. I have a small humidity gage that I bought at a reptile store.
  • Plants - Im not currently using live plants, but I plan to move my pothos in once I get some river rock to cover the soil.
  • Placement - His cage is in my bed room, about 3 feet away from my window. Very minimal traffic unless its me going in to check his temp/humidity/look at how cute he is
  • Location - Seattle, WA

Current Problem - Not an urgent problem, he just doesn't seem thrilled to be here.

Hi there and welcome. Just confirming some info. Calcium with D3 is to be given two times a month and a multivitamin is to be given two times a month. So you can rotate your schedule with these each week doing the other. Calcium without D3 should be given at nearly every feed. You want to lightly powder the feeders. Also with your gutload make sure you are switching up the veg and fruit each week to have well rounded nutrient rich feeders.

With the lighting as stated you do need to upgrade to a T5 linear fixture and bulb. Basking should NEVER be hotter then 85 degrees for these guys until they are adults and males should be pushed up to 90 for basking while females stay at 85.

• Your Chameleon - Veiled chameleon, I'm about 99.999% sure hes a male, but his tarsal spur is still on the small side. He's 4 weeks old and has been in my care for 3 days.
  • Handling - Besides oogling over him when we first brought him home before introducing him into his enclosure he hasnt been handled.
  • Feeding - I'm offering him 10 dusted/gut loaded crickets per day, unless a couple are hiding out in his enclosure hes eating all of them.
  • Supplements - He's currently only been fed the repticalcium without D3
  • Watering - He has a little dripper system, as well as me misting at least 3 or 4 times a day, I have only seen him drink once
  • Fecal Description - His urates are white and his feces are a little soft from what I have cleaned up so far
  • History - As i've only had him 4 days I dont have a ton of history.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - He's in the medium rebtibreeze full screen tank.
  • Lighting - I'm currently using dome lights (which i now know is a no no) But a longer tube UVB is on the way.
  • Temperature - My heat gun is reading basking spot at about 86-89 degrees, and floor of the cage is at 74. Over night it drops to around 68
  • Humidity - His humidity stays constant around 45-50%, but right after misting it spikes to 60%. I have a small humidity gage that I bought at a reptile store.
  • Plants - Im not currently using live plants, but I plan to move my pothos in once I get some river rock to cover the soil.
  • Placement - His cage is in my bed room, about 3 feet away from my window. Very minimal traffic unless its me going in to check his temp/humidity/look at how cute he is
  • Location - Seattle, WA

Current Problem - Not an urgent problem, he just doesn't seem thrilled to be here.
Are you sure on his age???? There will be some edits on what is recommended if he is only 4 weeks old. He looks a bit big to be 4 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom