First Veiled Chameleon

bay1997

Established Member
Hello!
I am a new chameleon owner as well as a new member to these forums.
I have previously kept snakes but had made the decision to venture into the world of chameleons a few months back and began research then. I finally have felt prepared enough and brought home my new little man 4 days ago. He's 4 weeks old and around 4ish inches long, not including tail. Everything in his enclosure seems up to par (humidity good, basking temp good, there's a ton of branches to climb and leaves to hang out in). But he still seems unhappy or stressed. Could this just be due to the stress of moving to a new home or is there something I could be over looking as far as husbandry goes?
Thanks!

Hello!
I am a new chameleon owner as well as a new member to these forums.
I have previously kept snakes but had made the decision to venture into the world of chameleons a few months back and began research then. I finally have felt prepared enough and brought home my new little man 4 days ago. He's 4 weeks old and around 4ish inches long, not including tail. Everything in his enclosure seems up to par (humidity good, basking temp good, there's a ton of branches to climb and leaves to hang out in). But he still seems unhappy or stressed. Could this just be due to the stress of moving to a new home or is there something I could be over looking as far as husbandry goes?
Thanks!

Welcome! Yes for sure. They need a few weeks to adjust. As long as he is eating and drinking he will be fine. Younger chameleons usually need have different needs then older chameleon.

Can you post pics of him an his enclosure? So we can get idea of what his set up is like

image2 (1).jpeg image1 (2).jpeg

Here are the photos! I have a couple more plants with some broader leaves on their way in the mail because my local pet store was out of stock. The photo of him on my husbands hand was from right when we brought him home before we put him in his enclosure, and he hasn't been handled at all since.
Thank you!!

Welcome! Yes for sure. They need a few weeks to adjust. As long as he is eating and drinking he will be fine. Younger chameleons usually need have different needs then older chameleon.

Can you post pics of him an his enclosure? So we can get idea of what his set up is like
Also, the attached photo of his enclosure was from in the morning right when his light came back on, thats why the temperature is a little on the low side :)

Cheat sheets, also is he translucent??

Attachments

• E42FFEB9-942D-4C33-9D70-6F45ED353B31.png
    E42FFEB9-942D-4C33-9D70-6F45ED353B31.png
    824.7 KB · Views: 178
  • 1BC9E668-D376-43B7-9C02-A735976AA8E7.png
    1BC9E668-D376-43B7-9C02-A735976AA8E7.png
    933.4 KB · Views: 195
  • 4D07E4F6-67FA-4993-9528-96D51A4E770E.png
    4D07E4F6-67FA-4993-9528-96D51A4E770E.png
    911.8 KB · Views: 162
  • 10E2F9B8-C853-4CDB-8EB9-C29C21DB8B8A.png
    10E2F9B8-C853-4CDB-8EB9-C29C21DB8B8A.png
    1 MB · Views: 219
  • 4208C504-FBBC-4727-B91F-A8DA1C7DBBC7.png
    4208C504-FBBC-4727-B91F-A8DA1C7DBBC7.png
    963.1 KB · Views: 212
View attachment 226182View attachment 226181

Here are the photos! I have a couple more plants with some broader leaves on their way in the mail because my local pet store was out of stock. The photo of him on my husbands hand was from right when we brought him home before we put him in his enclosure, and he hasn't been handled at all since.
Thank you!!
That’s so interesting. Some of his feet make him look like a translucent chameleon by how pink they are. He looks great either way though! If you get more branches be sure to place them horizontally going up and down like a zig-zag going up. Also a lot of new owners tend to go straight to feeding mealworms, don’t feed those as they can cause impaction. I noticed you only have a dual lamp, you’ll need a UV linear bulb + the fixture to prevent MBD (metabolic bone disease). When you get insects for him to eat make sure you’re dusting them with the right supplements (dump the bugs in a bag w/dust and lightly shake them until they’re covered) and feeding your insects (gut loading) with carrots and other greens. Take a look at these graphics for more into and use the resource tabs here and ask many questions! :)
DC5B146A-48DE-418F-A210-D562F218B1BB.png
73718587-3EB7-4926-81BA-9CB3311D0FA8.png
9BEC63DE-C05D-43FE-955D-4A6BB49B8284.png
CA964DE2-EE3E-4E0F-81A9-0C992E2F4DB7.png

When I was at the reptile store and asked about lighting, they told me the larger lights could get too warm for the little guy. But I will take your word for it!! Thank you!!
They don't produce much heat if at all. Haha petstore employees will say anything to get you to buy the things they have heavily in stock. They produce UVB and some UVA. Those screw in light bulb UVB bulbs are garbage and do not produce enough UVB in enough of an area to keep your chameleon healthy

That’s so interesting. Some of his feet make him look like a translucent chameleon by how pink they are. He looks great either way though! If you get more branches be sure to place them horizontally going up and down like a zig-zag going up. Also a lot of new owners tend to go straight to feeding mealworms, don’t feed those as they can cause impaction. I noticed you only have a dual lamp, you’ll need a UV linear bulb + the fixture to prevent MBD (metabolic bone disease). When you get insects for him to eat make sure you’re dusting them with the right supplements (dump the bugs in a bag w/dust and lightly shake them until they’re covered) and feeding your insects (gut loading) with carrots and other greens. Take a look at these graphics for more into and use the resource tabs here and ask many questions! :)View attachment 226187View attachment 226188View attachment 226189View attachment 226190
Thank you!! His crickets are currently being gutloaded with sweet potatoes and spinach. And Im using calcium with out D3 to dust! I'll get him a new lighting set up asap, I think i was given some misinformation at the reptile shop I got him from. Thanks again!

Thank you!! His crickets are currently being gutloaded with sweet potatoes and spinach. And Im using calcium with out D3 to dust! I'll get him a new lighting set up asap, I think i was given some misinformation at the reptile shop I got him from. Thanks again!
Awesome and thank you! Very rarely do we get such delightful agreeable adults in this forum. Best of luck to your family and your new family member! Just remember we are always here if you need us :)

Back
Top Bottom