First timer egg lay

Hi! Ive had some trouble with Albahaca my Cham,
After posting here it seems sha has to lay some eggs, i have prepared a lay bin just as how the videos and articles they shared

My problem is that her enclosure is to small 18" x 18" x 24" (a bigger one its on its way), so the bucket does not fit inside... i tried placing her in the bucket but she tried to get out non stop, so then i tried placing a smaller bin (12" tall and 8"-9" wide) inside her enclosure, now she is all stress out and i am too!!!
I am really worried she might get egg bound, can someone please help me figure out what is the best thing to do as i do not have a big enclosure :'(

She may not be quite ready to lay hun. There is dirt in the bottom of her cage. So she will start digging if she has eggs. I would hold off on putting anything additional in that cage it is just too small. Per the lay bin. It does not need to be a full 12 inches in depth. You can do one that is lower 7-8 inches tall with 6 inches of the playsand moistened so it holds a tunnel. 12 inches is too deep anyways they will often dig until they hit the wall of bin and then stop. If it is too deep this can pose its own issues with her wearing herself out digging and or the tunnel collapsing.

She may not be quite ready to lay hun. There is dirt in the bottom of her cage. So she will start digging if she has eggs. I would hold off on putting anything additional in that cage it is just too small. Per the lay bin. It does not need to be a full 12 inches in depth. You can do one that is lower 7-8 inches tall with 6 inches of the playsand moistened so it holds a tunnel. 12 inches is too deep anyways they will often dig until they hit the wall of bin and then stop. If it is too deep this can pose its own issues with her wearing herself out digging and or the tunnel collapsing.

She has been digging in her cage! that is why im worried, okk ill look for a smaller container to place in her cage.

She has been digging in her cage! that is why im worried, okk ill look for a smaller container to place in her cage.
Yes, she could be ready to lay eggs... If that is the case get something that is lower even 5 inches deep to accommodate it to the current cage and like 9x9 fill it with the moist play sand. Make sure it holds a tunnel. Then put this in for her.

However she may also just not be happy with the current enclosure. As we spoke about in the other thread it really was not set up properly for her.

I would try to find a smaller plastic container that will work in the current enclosure and then just leave it and don't move it. See if she starts digging in it.

Yes, she could be ready to lay eggs... If that is the case get something that is lower even 5 inches deep to accommodate it to the current cage and like 9x9 fill it with the moist play sand. Make sure it holds a tunnel. Then put this in for her.

However she may also just not be happy with the current enclosure. As we spoke about in the other thread it really was not set up properly for her.

I would try to find a smaller plastic container that will work in the current enclosure and then just leave it and don't move it. See if she starts digging in it.
Thanks!!! i will do that

Here is another resource for you. Not sure if they speak of the lay bin in it... But in the description they are saying lay bin 4 inches deep. I have heard of lay bins not needing to be as deep as the typical recommended depth. So go by 4 inches as in this podcast and take a listen to this. Hopefully it can give you some more in depth info https://xjz.96f.myftpupload.com/april-6-female-veiled-chameleon-feeding/

Back
Top Bottom