first time with hatchlings, im worried I will be away when they hatch!

Perlapaco

Hi all,
My female panther laid her first clutch this June, 2020. It is our first time breeding and I have to admit I didn't really understand what I was getting myself into. I thought the babies would hatch by December, but it is January and they are still in their eggs. (Although they look healthy to me!)
The only problem is, I am leaving to go study abroad in college right now overseas.... I found a sweet woman to watch the eggs while I am away but like I said I thought they surely would have hatched by now... She is not experienced with chams. I am leaving in January and returning in April and im worried they might hatch while I am away! I want to set up their caretaker as best I can but now im worried I dont have a proper setup for her...

QUESTION: I am reading that the hatchlings need fruit flies, however seeing as its impossible to predict when they will hatch (ive read sometimes it can take 12 months!?) how will I make sure we have the flies ready? All the companies say they need 2-3 days to ship them and I know the hatchlings need food within the first 24 hours. People breed them but is there an alternative to asking this woman to breed flied for 3 months now? I am worried she will not be up for that.

next question: what is the proper enclosure for babies? I wrongly thought they would be okay in my regular chameleon mesh cage with the regular lights (I thought I could feed them pinheads right away from the petstore too which is why I thought their caretaker was set up properly...) but now I am reading that they need much higher humidity and some like to keep them in an enclosed terrarium?

If someone could explain the feeding process for hatchlings and the proper setup I would be super grateful. I have been keeping them at room temp, I live in northern CA so sometimes it can get cooler at night... I am hoping they will remain in their eggs until I get home because I want so badly to be there during this process! <3

Attachments

• IMG_5622.PNG
    IMG_5622.PNG
    832.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_5624.PNG
    IMG_5624.PNG
    854.9 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_5621.PNG
    IMG_5621.PNG
    650.1 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_5625.PNG
    IMG_5625.PNG
    854.8 KB · Views: 68
Hi. I‘ve no experience with eggs or freshly hatched chameleons, but I do want to suggest that maybe you can find an exotics vet or vet tech (maybe even a breeder will help) that has experience to watch your eggs. To leave them in the care of someone with no experience or knowledge seems like a set up for failure.

I am with @MissSkittles hatchlings are a lot of work. Not something I would even take on being 4 years in the hobby. I would not leave them with someone who does not have experience with chameleons. They are most fragile at this stage so a person without experience could cause a lot of damage.

When did she lay these eggs?

I am with @MissSkittles hatchlings are a lot of work. Not something I would even take on being 4 years in the hobby. I would not leave them with someone who does not have experience with chameleons. They are most fragile at this stage so a person without experience could cause a lot of damage.

When did she lay these eggs?
thank you, yes I am currently reaching out to someone who has experience with chams in hopes she would be willing to take them on because I thought the same. I just care about their wellbeing even though I selfishly really want to be able to be a part of the process, I think its better to have someone experienced handle them. I am hoping I can find someone in time. She laid them in early June so its been about 7 months. But they are being kept on the cooler side, im hoping this will prolong hatching...

thank you, yes I am currently reaching out to someone who has experience with chams in hopes she would be willing to take them on because I thought the same. I just care about their wellbeing even though I selfishly really want to be able to be a part of the process, I think its better to have someone experienced handle them. I am hoping I can find someone in time. She laid them in early June so its been about 7 months. But they are being kept on the cooler side, im hoping this will prolong hatching...
Best of luck to you. All I know about Panther eggs is it is all dependent on temp... They can hatch out anywhere from 6 mo-12mo but I have read some info before saying it can take longer at times.

@jannb I think you keep your eggs at room temp. How long does it take for your babies to hatch out?

Different species of panthers hatch at different rates. My Nosy Be eggs took 10 months at 76ish degrees. Other panthers are usually 9 months at 76ish.

Different species of panthers hatch at different rates. My Nosy Be eggs took 10 months at 76ish degrees. Other panthers are usually 9 months at 76ish.
ive read that if you keep the eggs slightly cooler it can lengthen the time until they hatch?

ive read that if you keep the eggs slightly cooler it can lengthen the time until they hatch?
I’ve heard that but not sure if it’s true. I normally warm mine up a tab when it’s getting close to,time to hatch. What kind of panther do you have?

Back
Top Bottom