First time veiled mom!! Does this look ok?

You definitely need to give him time to get used to his surroundings. Many will not eat for a few days due to the stress of shipping and a new environment. He may seem social to you, but he may in fact be scared or stressed. Give him a little time to get used to things and he will likely find the cup in the enclosure and recognize it as a food source. If you keep changing it up he will not settle in well.

If he has been hand reared by the breeder it may be that he has only known human contact and hasn't learned to be afraid/have normal chameleon instincts. Our local reptile store has a Cham that is almost black whenever he is in his cage and goes the most beautiful colours the instant you open the door. He climbs straight onto your hand and is hand fed. I reckon you've just got a Cham that's broken the mould, which is great for you as you will have a companion in him for life!

My Cham won't cup feed either, because he just wants to come out whenever his cage is opened. We generally let him out and then give him lettuce wrapped worms. He isnt interested in bugs of any kind but the instant you put some lettuce near him he gulps it down.

Try to place one cricket in the cage and get his attention to it. If he eats it, try again. Once he's in "hunting mode," he should be able to find them but since he's small cup feeding may be better for now. Forum member nick barta sells really good feeder cups that have a climbing wall so it feels to the chameleon like he's really hunting. It's good that he's social, but make sure he's in his cage for enough time to get the benefits from his UVB lighting.

If he has been hand reared by the breeder it may be that he has only known human contact and hasn't learned to be afraid/have normal chameleon instincts. Our local reptile store has a Cham that is almost black whenever he is in his cage and goes the most beautiful colours the instant you open the door. He climbs straight onto your hand and is hand fed. I reckon you've just got a Cham that's broken the mould, which is great for you as you will have a companion in him for life!

My Cham won't cup feed either, because he just wants to come out whenever his cage is opened. We generally let him out and then give him lettuce wrapped worms. He isnt interested in bugs of any kind but the instant you put some lettuce near him he gulps it down.
That's exactly the way he is. He always wants out. He'll even come to the door when I walk by. I'm extremely happy he's like that but I want to make sure he's under his uv and basking lights as much add he needs to be too. He's just nothing like I was expecting him to be lol.

Try to place one cricket in the cage and get his attention to it. If he eats it, try again. Once he's in "hunting mode," he should be able to find them but since he's small cup feeding may be better for now. Forum member nick barta sells really good feeder cups that have a climbing wall so it feels to the chameleon like he's really hunting. It's good that he's social, but make sure he's in his cage for enough time to get the benefits from his UVB lighting.
I do want him to stay in as much as possible to make sure he gets all the lighting he needs. Right now I only take him out to feed him. He doesn't seem to like it too much but I don't want him unhealthy either. I'll try just putting one in and see what happens. Thanks!

That's exactly the way he is. He always wants out. He'll even come to the door when I walk by. I'm extremely happy he's like that but I want to make sure he's under his uv and basking lights as much add he needs to be too. He's just nothing like I was expecting him to be lol.

I posted for the first time today (see Introducing Chamelio Estavez in General) and had some great recommendations made. This Cham owner is a top member on the forums and shared this free range with me. The picture of the tree in the red room is my ultimate goal. I want to have one ready for the summer. Might be worth looking at

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/photos-of-some-of-the-free-ranges.137228/

I posted for the first time today (see Introducing Chamelio Estavez in General) and had some great recommendations made. This Cham owner is a top member on the forums and shared this free range with me. The picture of the tree in the red room is my ultimate goal. I want to have one ready for the summer. Might be worth looking at

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/photos-of-some-of-the-free-ranges.137228/
Awesome! Thank you. I'll definitely check that out. And congrats on your new cham!

Back
Top Bottom