First time owner

Tree1224

Im a first time owner of a chameleon. She is a jackson named Tree whom i got at 4 months old. So far everything seems to be going well but i am curious in some ofcare techniques so im glad i found this forum. Ive been feeding her crickets which she will eat immediatly once i put them in the feeder cup. I usually give her 5 or so a day. im just wondering if that is enough of if i should feed her more. thanks for the help and im sure ill have plenty more questions to come

things are sounding good, try offering about 8-10 until she is about 8-10 months.

also, lets take a look at your husbandry. fill this out.
to help keep you on a good track.

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
* Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
* Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
* Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
* Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
* Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
* Location - Where are you geographically located?

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
* Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
* Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
* Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
* Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
* Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
* History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

currently she is in an exo terra screen terrarium thats 18x18x18. im currently in the process of building her a homemade cage which will be 24x24x30 and all screened as this is the maximum space i have available for a cage. She gets 12 hours of light from a reptibulb 5.0. i have only fake plants and vines for her but im planning on using hibiscus plants for her permanant home in the making. i usually mist her cage about 3-4 times a day. She keeps a consistant temp of around 80 during the day and about 70 degrees at night. humidity stays between 55 and 75. i measure both with the exo-terra gauges. i have a basking lamp i keep above her cage but anytime i turn it on she gets as far away from it as possible. doesnt seem to like it at all. cage sits atop my dresser. just about at eye level. low traffic area. its been about a month ive had her and she gets handled maybe once a week just for curiousity on my part. She doesnt show any signs of aggression, just shys away if i approach to fast. She will be five months old this week if what the petstore told me is true. her feces seems to be normal. her diet has been a consistent 5 crickets a day and i use reptical when i feed her 4 days out of the week.

the ambient temps for jacksons can be about 74-76F, ideally a basking spot is 82F.

high humidity and cool temps,thats how the jacksons like it.

looks like your doing everything right.

definatly if your getting a hibiscus, make sure to add a grow light from a platn store, hibiscus is one of those plants that won't do well with out a good amount of sunshine.

ficuses and schefflera are ideal for most chameleon enclosures.

so i finished my cage today and have her in it and she seems to love it. has already eaten her share of crickets and is exploring quite a bit. One problem im having is keeping the humidity up. this cage has fiberglass screen on the sides and aluminum on top and for the door. any advice. i can post pics later

Back
Top Bottom