First Time Owner

James777

Hi all,

I've spent the past few months as a lurker, preparing for my first chameleon which arrived last week. I absolutely love our new family member, he is already eating bugs from the palm of my hand. I've done some homework but was hoping you could skim over my info to see if there's anything that needs to be addressed.

A few questions:

Should I test him for parasites at this time?

I have not monitored exact humidity levels, but I have been misting as soon as the cage completely dries, which lately is 3 times a day. Here in coastal CA, the marine layer typically keeps humidity above 55-60%. I suppose I should still have a hygrometer?

I chose my supplement schedule after listening to John Courteney-Smith, MSRB on the chameleon breeder podcast. Are any of you using Arcadia EarthPro A (label photo below) and Calcium Pro-Mg supplements? I am wondering if I still should be using a traditional D3 supplement a couple times a month.

Should I weigh him and monitor his weight to help identify and possible issues?

The caresheet states 10-12 medium crickets every other day. Is it okay to feed 5-6 medium crickets every day?

Thanks for any input!

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - 50% Ambanja/50% Ambilobe Panther Cross, Male, 8 Months. In my care for 1 week
  • Handling - He's been out one time while I had to re-situate enclosure plants. After he settles in, I would like to have scheduled outdoor time every couple days to expose him to natural sunlight, but ultimately will progress based on his comfort level
  • Feeding - Dubia, Crickets, Superworms; Gutloading with Rapashy Bug Burger, carrots, blueberries, strawberries, apple slices, mustard greens. Feeding 10 Dubia and/or Crickets every other day, with a couple super worms thrown in.
  • Supplements - Alternating feeding days, dusting with w/ either Arcadia EarthPro A or Arcadia Calcium Pro-Mg
  • Watering - MistKing w/ one nozzle; distilled water -- Daily: 4 mins at 8AM, 2 mins at 1PM, 2 mins at 5pm -- One 10 minute session per week.
  • Fecal Description - Has not been tested for parasites. Have only seen one poop and it was normal per forum "POOP 101"
  • History - Purchased from Kammerflage. My first chameleon

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Dragon Strand Medium Clearside Atrium - approx 29" wide, 29" tall, 18" deep
  • Lighting - Quad fixture from Lightyourreptiles with Arcadia 6% UVB directly on screen (I don't have the ability to measure UV levels in the cage) - Basking: ceramic heat lamp with 75W bulb directly on screen. Quad lights on at 7AM, off at 7PM; ambient blue LEDs are on from 7PM to 7:30PM.
  • Temperature - Ambient temp 72-73, Basking spot 89. Measured with infrared therm
  • Humidity - I have not measured exact humidity
  • Plants - One large pothos, one small money tree, and two small schefflera arboricola
  • Placement - Cage is in the garage which stays shut. It is away from fans, air vents, and high traffic. Height of cage is about 6.5' above room floor.
  • Location - Carlsbad CA (Near San Diego)

Current Problem - None. Help me avoid!

IMG_4894.jpeg IMG_4797.jpeg IMG_4918.jpeg IMG_4919.jpeg

Hi all,

I've spent the past few months as a lurker, preparing for my first chameleon which arrived last week. I absolutely love our new family member, he is already eating bugs from the palm of my hand. I've done some homework but was hoping you could skim over my info to see if there's anything that needs to be addressed.

A few questions:

I have not monitored exact humidity levels, but I have been misting as soon as the cage completely dries, which lately is 3 times a day. Here in coastal CA, the marine layer typically keeps humidity above 55-60%. I suppose I should still have a hygrometer?

I chose my supplement schedule after listening to John Courteney-Smith, MSRB on the chameleon breeder podcast. Are any of you using Arcadia EarthPro A (label photo below) and Calcium Pro-Mg supplements? I am wondering if I still should be using a traditional D3 supplement a couple times a month.

The caresheet states 10-12 medium crickets every other day. Is it okay to feed 5-6 medium crickets every day?

Thanks for any input!

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - 50% Ambanja/50% Ambilobe Panther Cross, Male, 8 Months. In my care for 1 week
  • Handling - He's been out one time while I had to re-situate enclosure plants. After he settles in, I would like to have scheduled outdoor time every couple days to expose him to natural sunlight, but ultimately will progress based on his comfort level
  • Feeding - Dubia, Crickets, Superworms; Gutloading with Rapashy Bug Burger, carrots, blueberries, strawberries, apple slices, mustard greens. Feeding 10 Dubia and/or Crickets every other day, with a couple super worms thrown in.
  • Supplements - Alternating feeding days, dusting with w/ either Arcadia EarthPro A or Arcadia Calcium Pro-Mg
  • Watering - MistKing w/ one nozzle; distilled water -- Daily: 4 mins at 8AM, 2 mins at 1PM, 2 mins at 5pm -- One 10 minute session per week.
  • Fecal Description - Has not been tested for parasites. Have only seen one poop and it was normal per forum "POOP 101"

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Dragon Strand Medium Clearside Atrium - approx 29" wide, 29" tall, 18" deep
  • Lighting - Quad fixture from Lightyourreptiles with Arcadia 6% UVB directly on screen (I don't have the ability to measure UV levels in the cage) - Basking: ceramic heat lamp with 75W bulb directly on screen. Quad lights on at 7AM, off at 7PM; ambient blue LEDs are on from 7PM to 7:30PM.
  • Temperature - Ambient temp 72-73, Basking spot 89. Measured with infrared therm
  • Plants - One large pothos, one small money tree, and two small schefflera arboricola
  • Placement - Cage is in the garage which stays shut. It is away from fans, air vents, and high traffic. Height of cage is about 6.5' above room floor.

View attachment 216613View attachment 216614View attachment 216615View attachment 216616
The Arcadia website has their recommended supplement schedule with what to use. You still need a supplement with D3 in it. He needs a bigger enclosure, minimum of 2’ by 2’ by 4’ tall. Get rid of the blue LEDs. It should be 12 hours of uvb and basking and 12 hours of complete darkness. Get an electronic thermometer/hygrometer combo from the hardware store for relative humidity and ambient temp (it’s only like $5). Basking spot is a tad high. Is the air in the garage or cage stale? Gorgeous cham, by the way!

Hi all,

A few questions:

Thanks for any input!

Chameleon Info:

Cage Info:

View attachment 216613View attachment 216614View attachment 216615View attachment 216616
I would test for parasites if you could. Also monitor his weight if you can. Not sure about the feeding him daily

The Arcadia website has their recommended supplement schedule with what to use. You still need a supplement with D3 in it. He needs a bigger enclosure, minimum of 2’ by 2’ by 4’ tall. Get rid of the blue LEDs. It should be 12 hours of uvb and basking and 12 hours of complete darkness. Get an electronic thermometer/hygrometer combo from the hardware store for relative humidity and ambient temp (it’s only like $5). Basking spot is a tad high. Is the air in the garage or cage stale? Gorgeous cham, by the way!

Thanks for your reply!

I’m following Arcadia’s recommended schedule. But I somehow didn’t realize the EarthPro A contains no Vit D until just now! So I will certainly add Vit D to his supplementation.

The enclosure is on the smaller end of the spectrum, and less than the traditional 2x2x4; but with proper temp gradients, I was advised it would be just fine due to the increased width. I’ll be creating an outdoor area for him too, so hopefully he won’t be too stressed by enclosure limitations. In any case it’s an issue I’ve already pondered and decided on. The large atrium would have been a no-brainer if only we had room for it.

So, no LED’s? They’re built into the light fixture and I thought they’d help the Cham find his resting place before complete darkness. But I’ll keep them off.

Garage air is a bit stale. There are vents to the outside but they dont allow much airflow. Should I run a small fan near the enclosure? Maybe a small computer fan to lightly move air across the top?

Thanks for your reply!

I’m following Arcadia’s recommended schedule. But I somehow didn’t realize the EarthPro A contains no Vit D until just now! So I will certainly add Vit D to his supplementation.

The enclosure is on the smaller end of the spectrum, and less than the traditional 2x2x4; but with proper temp gradients, I was advised it would be just fine due to the increased width. I’ll be creating an outdoor area for him too, so hopefully he won’t be too stressed by enclosure limitations. In any case it’s an issue I’ve already pondered and decided on. The large atrium would have been a no-brainer if only we had room for it.

So, no LED’s? They’re built into the light fixture and I thought they’d help the Cham find his resting place before complete darkness. But I’ll keep them off.

Garage air is a bit stale. There are vents to the outside but they dont allow much airflow. Should I run a small fan near the enclosure? Maybe a small computer fan to lightly move air across the top?
For the airflow, a computer fan or air purifier, or both, will work. For size, adult male panthers average 18-20 inches, so they need room to roam in their enclosure, which is why the recommended minimum size is 2’ by 2’ by 4’ tall.

Back
Top Bottom