First time breeding

Veiled_Tuna

My female veiled chameleon is 9 - 10 months currently and she has already laid her first clutch of 50+ eggs. But it has been a few weeks and our friends have a male veiled chameleon we'd like to breed her with. I just dont know how many weeks before laying she needs to be at, or if that changes anything. I have been doing research and all sources say something different. She usually gets restless a month before laying her eggs from what I've noticed, and shes starting to wander around her cage right now. Is this an okay time to breed them? I could use all the advice possible this is our first time..

You said..."My female veiled chameleon is 9 - 10 months currently and she has already laid her first clutch of 50+ eggs. But it has been a few weeks and our friends have a male veiled chameleon we'd like to breed her with. I just dont know how many weeks before laying she needs to be at, or if that changes anything. I have been doing research and all sources say something different. She usually gets restless a month before laying her eggs from what I've noticed, and shes starting to wander around her cage right now. Is this an okay time to breed them? I could use all the advice possible this is our first time"... Please post a couple of photos of her so I can see all of her from the side.

They typically lay a clutch every 120 or 130 days without having been mated....depending on their care/feeding/temperatures.
She can be mated when she shows receptive colors. IMHO...the best idea is once she's showing receptive, show the male to her. If they react properly to each other they can be put together. Improper behaviour...female puffs up, curls tail, rocks back and forth, gapes, tries to bite male, holds hand up by her chest. Make reacts aggressively to her. Proper behaviour...female walks slowly away from the male remaining calm no not doing the things I described in improper behaviour description. Male approaches female from behind and tries to mount her....quickly but calmly with bright colors though. I always watch them at first to make sure things don't take a turn for the worse. Once the female starts rejecting the male as described in improper behaviour, separate them. She I'll soon turn gravid dark closes and repel him or even attack him.

You said..."My female veiled chameleon is 9 - 10 months currently and she has already laid her first clutch of 50+ eggs. But it has been a few weeks and our friends have a male veiled chameleon we'd like to breed her with. I just dont know how many weeks before laying she needs to be at, or if that changes anything. I have been doing research and all sources say something different. She usually gets restless a month before laying her eggs from what I've noticed, and shes starting to wander around her cage right now. Is this an okay time to breed them? I could use all the advice possible this is our first time"... Please post a couple of photos of her so I can see all of her from the side.

They typically lay a clutch every 120 or 130 days without having been mated....depending on their care/feeding/temperatures.
She can be mated when she shows receptive colors. IMHO...the best idea is once she's showing receptive, show the male to her. If they react properly to each other they can be put together. Improper behaviour...female puffs up, curls tail, rocks back and forth, gapes, tries to bite male, holds hand up by her chest. Make reacts aggressively to her. Proper behaviour...female walks slowly away from the male remaining calm no not doing the things I described in improper behaviour description. Male approaches female from behind and tries to mount her....quickly but calmly with bright colors though. I always watch them at first to make sure things don't take a turn for the worse. Once the female starts rejecting the male as described in improper behaviour, separate them. She I'll soon turn gravid dark closes and repel him or even attack him.
What are considered receptive colors? Also, she last laid on May 3rd is it still fine to try mating anytime till the 120 or 130 days?
And I will take photos when she is out to eat later today, in the daylight.

IMG_6572.JPG
IMG_6571.JPG

Back
Top Bottom