First Time Breeding Panthers

Turner1986

Established Member
So this is the first time i have ever tried to breed panther chameleons, or any chameleon for that matter. My male and female are about 9-10 months old and the female went from a white/brown color to a Pink/peach color and from what i have read on here that's when she is receptive and ready to mate. I put both of them on a plant on the table next to their enclosures, the male did the whole head bobbing thing and turned a very nice shade of blue, yellow, red and orange. The female showed no sings of aggression and the male continued to chase the female. He finally caught up with her and they proceeded to mate. That was yesterday. I put them on the same plant again today, and same as yesterday, they mated again. I'm very interested in any input as i am very new to this. Thanks alot.

Will be posting pics up later

These were from the 15th

xfc9zm.jpg

263u2x4.jpg

98gao1.jpg

and this one was today

2enxkzt.jpg

Congratulations on your first breeding! I wouldn't worry at all about the female. If she was receptive and weighted 70 grams that is awesome. There are a lot of females that will never reach that weight so you have nothing to worry about. It would be safe to say that she is most certainly gravid from the last picture and you should have a nice clutch of eggs in a few weeks :)

Congratulations on your first breeding! I wouldn't worry at all about the female. If she was receptive and weighted 70 grams that is awesome. There are a lot of females that will never reach that weight so you have nothing to worry about. It would be safe to say that she is most certainly gravid from the last picture and you should have a nice clutch of eggs in a few weeks :)

Thanks that make me worry less. My next question is i cant fit a laying bin in her cage.

w8lqhe.jpg

I have a pothos hanging and an umbrella tree on the bottom. My question is should i take the umbrella tree out for now so i can put a laying bin in there???? or should i do something else

Please help asap. Thanks

FYI its a repti-breeze 2x2x4

well since I got no replies I went ahead and ended up doing it like this.

n6ox74.jpg

Attachments

• 20150318_212106.jpg
    20150318_212106.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 401
ok well the female has been gravid for 5-6 days now. She usually eats crickets right out of my hand, which she has done since i got her in january. but the past 3 days she wont eat from my hand, in fact i have not seen her eat anything at all the past couple days. What should i do??

scratch that last post lol ,,,, shes eating from me again ,,,,, i wonder why she was being like that the past couple days

the female is 2 weeks pregnant today. She doesn't look that different then when they first mated, i figured she would be alot fatter then she is, you know, with that many eggs inside her. About how long after they mate does the female usually lay her eggs??

she's looking good ,,,, 2 weeks 4 days after mating (18 Days) :::::

wifs0.jpg

and a pic of her in some sunshine since it was so nice today ,,,, she hates my phone lol ::::

zm1hjb.jpg

still never got an answer tho ,,,,, about how long after mating do the females usually lay eggs????

Get ready with your incubation substrate and containers now. I've had a couple of panther females lay between 19-22 days after the first copulation. Good luck. It's an exiting journey.
Also be prepared for her second clutch. She will more than likely lay again inside of the next 60 days.

Get ready with your incubation substrate and containers now. I've had a couple of panther females lay between 19-22 days after the first copulation. Good luck. It's an exiting journey.
Also be prepared for her second clutch. She will more than likely lay again inside of the next 60 days.

i have not seen her in the laying pot yet. I've seen her down by it or on the rim of it but never actually in the dirt yet. would you recommend perlite or vermiculite as a incubation substrate? I've seen both be used on this site before. i would think perlite would be better as it holds moisture better and for longer. Thanks for the heads up. i didn't know that she would lay again that soon.

Back
Top Bottom