First time breeding and I have some questions.

Eatonius

Hello, I have 2 veiled chameleons. One is a female veiled, about 2 years old, and the other is a male veiled chameleon not exactly sure but i’d guess about the same age. I first started trying to breed them about 5 months ago. The first time I tried I put the male in the female’s cage. At fist the female would climb onto the male’s back and he would hiss at her, after awhile of them not doing anything I left for about 20 minutes and came back. They didn’t seem to do anything so I did some research and found I should put the female in the male’s cage. I did this and nothing happened. Later that night I held my male in front of the female’s cage and she showed pregnant colors (black with purple and yellow spots). Later She stopped showing pregnant colors so I started breeding them again and as far as I remember nothing really happened they just stayed on different sides of the cage. Note I did try to breed them outside of their cages in a neutral environment. From my perspective it seems like the male shows no interest and the female did at first but not anymore. Now the female almost always shows her pregnant colors, and she’s very aggressive towards him, but I’m still not convinced she’s pregnant. Also how do you set up incubator? How do you setup tupperware with vercumulite, how much water in the bottom of my incubator, and what temperature and humidity is best? Do you more experienced breeders have any advice, answers or suggestions?

Thanks,

Eaton

Last edited:
Not sure about the whole breeding situation, but for incubation, you don't need an incubator unless there are a lot of fluctuations in temperature. About room temperature should be fine.

If the female is showing her dark background colors she is either gravid and will produce fertile eggs or so e fertile and some not or producing a whole batch of infertile eggs. Do you have a proper container in her cage where she can lay them?

To set up incubator...all you need is a place in the house where it's dark and the temperature will stay about 74F for about 8 months.
Do a search non this forum and you should get lots of I do on setting up an incubator. Mine was unorthodox.

To set up the shoebox sized container...take some coarse add a little water around the edges of the contai er....never on the eggs.vermiculite and make it moist enough that when you take a handful of it and squeeze only a drop or two of water comes out. Fill the container about half full. Make dents in the vermiculite with your thumb in rows that are an inch apart in all directions. Lay the eggs in the dents and put the lid on the container and place it where you intend to incubate the eggs. Beads of moisture will form on the inside of the lid and walls of the contsiner. Check once in a while to see if all is well by removing the lid for just enough time to check.if it's drying out.

When you dig the eggs up tomput them in the container do it carefully trying not to turn them.
When the chameleon is digging her hole tomlay them do not let her see you watching you or she will abandon the hole.
Make sure there are no insects left loose in the cage once she starts digging...but you still have to feed her when shes not digging if she's hungry.

You started another thread about the breeding/mating....Im answering it here.
Does the female hiss, rock back and forth, darken her background colors, lunge at the male at all? If so they should be separated. They should only be put in the same cage for mating and the rest of the time left in separate cages anyhow.

Back
Top Bottom