First shed!

terrahm

Hi all! Caesar, my baby veiled cham looks like he's about to have his first shed. A little more shy than usual, appetites a little wonky, and he's got a few white dead skin spots and a little white moustache (so cute). I know their dry shedders and they know what they're doing and to just leave them be, is there anything else I should be prepared for behavior wise or color wise? Yesterday he didn't eat his dinner at the same time as usual and I cried, even though he ended up eating later and being totally fine :LOL:. I get scared for him. Here's my husbandry, and a picture of his little tarsal spurs.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Male veiled cham. Less than 3 months old.
  • Handling - I don't handle him. Way too fragile. When I have to clean his cage he just chills on his favorite branch and I clean around him.
  • Feeding - Small crickets. Don't think he's big enough for worms yet. He eats ALOT since he's so little, anywhere from 18-20 crickets a day.
  • Supplements - Repti-cal without D3 every feeding, alternate between with D3 and a multivitamin every Friday.
  • Watering - Hand misting his cage 2 times a day. Once a little bit after lights on, and once before lights off. He does drink and he's not shy about it. :LOL:
  • Fecal Description - Haven't seen him poop yet, hoping to find some soon so I can get a fecal test for the fella.
  • History - I got him from Scales and Tails in Daytona FL, they told me he was 3 months old but he is way too tiny to be that old. He's super chill and not very moody. We've had him for a week now, and he's been super bright green the whole time he's been here except for when it's misting time, he's not a fan lol.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Reptibreeze medium 16x16x30. I have an XL 2x2x4 feet cage ready for him when he's a little bit bigger.
  • Lighting - I have a 65w house light bulb in a Flukers clamp lamp along with a T5 HO linear 5.0 uvb.
  • Temperature - His basking spot is between 80-85 degrees and the regular temp is around 70-75.
  • Humidity - During the day it's around 35-40%, I have a dehumidifier since I live in Florida and humidity is sometimes hard to control. At night his humidity is up to 70%.
  • Plants - 2 golden pothos plants and a ficus tree. I used to have fake vines but removed those asap and they're now just on the outside of the cage for a little extra coverage without fear of him munching down on them.
  • Placement - His cage is a little taller than me so over 5 feet off the ground.
  • Location - East Coast of Florida.

Attachments

• caesars spurs.PNG
    caesars spurs.PNG
    448.5 KB · Views: 67
Hi all! Caesar, my baby veiled cham looks like he's about to have his first shed. A little more shy than usual, appetites a little wonky, and he's got a few white dead skin spots and a little white moustache (so cute). I know their dry shedders and they know what they're doing and to just leave them be, is there anything else I should be prepared for behavior wise or color wise? Yesterday he didn't eat his dinner at the same time as usual and I cried, even though he ended up eating later and being totally fine :LOL:. I get scared for him. Here's my husbandry, and a picture of his little tarsal spurs.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Male veiled cham. Less than 3 months old.
  • Handling - I don't handle him. Way too fragile. When I have to clean his cage he just chills on his favorite branch and I clean around him.
  • Feeding - Small crickets. Don't think he's big enough for worms yet. He eats ALOT since he's so little, anywhere from 18-20 crickets a day.
  • Supplements - Repti-cal without D3 every feeding, alternate between with D3 and a multivitamin every Friday.
  • Watering - Hand misting his cage 2 times a day. Once a little bit after lights on, and once before lights off. He does drink and he's not shy about it. :LOL:
  • Fecal Description - Haven't seen him poop yet, hoping to find some soon so I can get a fecal test for the fella.
  • History - I got him from Scales and Tails in Daytona FL, they told me he was 3 months old but he is way too tiny to be that old. He's super chill and not very moody. We've had him for a week now, and he's been super bright green the whole time he's been here except for when it's misting time, he's not a fan lol.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Reptibreeze medium 16x16x30. I have an XL 2x2x4 feet cage ready for him when he's a little bit bigger.
  • Lighting - I have a 65w house light bulb in a Flukers clamp lamp along with a T5 HO linear 5.0 uvb.
  • Temperature - His basking spot is between 80-85 degrees and the regular temp is around 70-75.
  • Humidity - During the day it's around 35-40%, I have a dehumidifier since I live in Florida and humidity is sometimes hard to control. At night his humidity is up to 70%.
  • Plants - 2 golden pothos plants and a ficus tree. I used to have fake vines but removed those asap and they're now just on the outside of the cage for a little extra coverage without fear of him munching down on them.
  • Placement - His cage is a little taller than me so over 5 feet off the ground.
  • Location - East Coast of Florida.
Basking spot 80°f max. At night you can turn the dehumidifier off if it’s still on at that time since their humidity can be up to 100%. I’d also recommend a bigger cage since you’ll have to upgrade soon, they grow really fast and it’s a lot less expensive to buy a big cage first. A 4x2x4 or bigger since bigger is always better (minimum is 2x2x4) you can keep the small one and then upgrade but I suggest just getting a big one. Usually they should not sell chams until they’re 3+ months old because of health problems etc. so I recommend a check up ($60+) and the fecal ($45+) with an experienced chameleon vet. (Pricing based on my research when I was searching) I think you’ll need more foliage/branches but I don’t know a picture of the entire enclosure would really help see if you’re missing something. (Does he have a dripper?) I won’t go over everything but it sounds pretty good. As for shedding as long as husbandry is correct he should do well, just leave him be he’s got it covered.

Basking spot 80°f max. At night you can turn the dehumidifier off if it’s still on at that time since their humidity can be up to 100%. I’d also recommend a bigger cage since you’ll have to upgrade soon, they grow really fast and it’s a lot less expensive to buy a big cage first. A 4x2x4 or bigger since bigger is always better (minimum is 2x2x4) you can keep the small one and then upgrade but I suggest just getting a big one. Usually they should not sell chams until they’re 3+ months old because of health problems etc. so I recommend a check up ($60+) and the fecal ($45+) with an experienced chameleon vet. (Pricing based on my research when I was searching) I think you’ll need more foliage/branches but I don’t know a picture of the entire enclosure would really help see if you’re missing something. (Does he have a dripper?) I won’t go over everything but it sounds pretty good. As for shedding as long as husbandry is correct he should do well, just leave him be he’s got it covered.
Thank you! I only have the dehumidifier on during the day and yes, he does have a dripper. Def will schedule that vet appointment soon to make sure he's healthy, along with soon transferring to the bigger cage.

Thank you! I only have the dehumidifier on during the day and yes, he does have a dripper. Def will schedule that vet appointment soon to make sure he's healthy, along with soon transferring to the bigger cage.
Can I see a picture of his enclosure? Also remember to gutload your feeders

Attachments

• B1FC4A8D-3055-4E41-91A3-24C2DD053381.jpeg
    B1FC4A8D-3055-4E41-91A3-24C2DD053381.jpeg
    208.7 KB · Views: 71
  • 923DC8E6-3B28-476D-8095-DD93A4FB3927.jpeg
    923DC8E6-3B28-476D-8095-DD93A4FB3927.jpeg
    177.1 KB · Views: 68
  • F1BC930D-05EE-423B-8BFB-B8533C76FE5D.jpeg
    F1BC930D-05EE-423B-8BFB-B8533C76FE5D.jpeg
    929 KB · Views: 71
  • C16A1E3C-C09A-455F-8EF8-E9AE5B4F03A0.jpeg