First shed...still have pieces stuck on him.

perca05

Hi all...my little veiled shed this morning. Was the strangest thing to watch...he had one little sheddy spot over his arm one minute, then he started yawning real big, and next thing you know his entire body is shedding! Anyways he has gotten most of it off except for some fluffy pieces on his eye lids and on his head. Would it be ok for me to pull of those pieces on his head? Or will they evenutally just fall off? I have sprayed him 3 times today...he runs from the water even though I warm it.

anyways...thats for any help/advice. :)

Caroline

Not a good idea to pull shed off although it is tempting.:) lots of misting should do the trick.

Yep the thing to do is bring that humidity up, so grab that spay bottle and get that enclosure wet!

Yea nice warm water might make him more receptive to the misting.mine is shedding at the minute too so I try to spray him mire than usual while misting.I generally start spraying away from him to let him see whats going on then bring the mist closer to him.if you work slowly and start from the tip of the tail and work slowly up the body he might stay put for more misting than normal

As others ahve said don't interfene but just keep spraying for warm water and raise humidity. Shedding has never been a problem for my chams. Hope you're fine after reading all the inputs :)

The only time you should be concerned is if there is a continuous piece of unshed skin around a limb (or tail or neck) that could cause problems as the animal grows. Otherwise, they should come off with the next shed.

Thank you for the replies. He still has a piece on his eyelid, and on his casque and legs. I have sprayed him and his enclosure to help with humidity. Hopefully it comes off next few days.

:)

Shedded dead skin on chams eye wont come off

Hi everyone! So "Elizadolots" Im going with what you said here.. So is it ok if the cham has some extra skin on him that wont come off?
Because I have a male 4 month blue bar ambilobe panther cham and he shedded about 2 weeks ago and still has some skin around one of his eyes...like little pieces of dead skin on the skin over his eye ball... I have read alot that misting would help, but I have been misting up to 5 times a day and nothing... Im worried because I have also read that dead skin on them could cut circulation (which is why I believe you mentioned that detail) but how about in this situation? I dont want to over mist because I know there setup has to dry out completley in between mistings... So Im trying to work with him. Maybe a warm bath?? Any advice would help! Thanks!

Hi everyone! So "Elizadolots" Im going with what you said here.. So is it ok if the cham has some extra skin on him that wont come off?
Because I have a male 4 month blue bar ambilobe panther cham and he shedded about 2 weeks ago and still has some skin around one of his eyes...like little pieces of dead skin on the skin over his eye ball... I have read alot that misting would help, but I have been misting up to 5 times a day and nothing... Im worried because I have also read that dead skin on them could cut circulation (which is why I believe you mentioned that detail) but how about in this situation? I dont want to over mist because I know there setup has to dry out completley in between mistings... So Im trying to work with him. Maybe a warm bath?? Any advice would help! Thanks!

You could try moistening the area with a q tip dampened with warm water.:D

His skin on his eyes and head have still not come off. He absolutely hates me now when I come near the cage to spray water on him. I have tried doing it from above but he just runs from it. Should I try to use the wet q-tip idea on him?

Go for it but he may hate you more as you will have to hold him. If it won't come off after that and it's not bothering him, just leave him as it may just not be ready.:)

Update on the ambilobe panther ;)

Hey Kate just to let you know did what you said and coincidently he shed the next day.... lol just like the one that posted before .... It all came off!! ;) hes doing really good now! Turning 4 months now on the 12th! .... Thanks alot for your seed of help! Blessings!! (I was also misting him with warm water) that might help the cause for "perca05" Best of luck with your cham!!!!! Hope all turns out good with him!!!

Back
Top Bottom