First feeder order ever. Need input!

Prince of Duval

Avid Member
I’m about to place my first feeder order in anticipation of my first panther chameleon arriving in the next few weeks (born early February). I was planning to order 500 1/4” banded crickets and 50 1/4” BSFL from Josh’s Frogs and I’m guessing this will last me a little over a month. Now, for your input:

1. How long before getting my chameleon should I order. All I’ve been told so far is he would be ready April/May (again born the first week of Feb.). I want to ensure I order the feeders early enough to have them before he arrives and get them gutloaded, but not too early where they are just sitting at my house and growing/pupating etc.
2. Is this a good sized order for what I plan to feed? Too much? Or should order more?
3. Do you recommend ordering any other feeders for a juvenile panther along with this? I live in Florida and I hear getting Dubias is an issue. I’m interested in introducing some superworms and hornworms (in moderation) eventually, but thought he might be too young for those.
4. Can I keep 500 crickets together in a large bin or should I split them up?

Thanks for your help!

Shipping usually only a couple of days for crickets. So I would order them a few days before you know that your new baby is going to be shipped. This way you will have a day or 2 to gutload them.

I ordered everything the week before, and they arrived the day before I got my cham. When ordering crickets, keep in mind that that their lifespan is of around 8 weeks as adults, and that when they are shipped, they could be a few weeks into these 8 weeks. This means they can die before your cham eats them, and then you just wasted all those crickets. 500 is too much. 250 was enough for mine for more than a month. including the bsfl, and it will last wayyyyy more than just a month. If you order now, a good chunk will die from old age.

I'd also consider order some silks if you can. They'd be great for hydrating him after his long journey. Normally I'd recommend hornworms but those suckers grow fast and get too big for a baby cham quickly.

Lindasgonebuggy.com. Great deals. If you order on Sunday, you’ll receive it wed. General rule of thumb, never order feedersThursday-Saturday, you won’t receive them until the following week. Most suppliers only ship out on Monday and Wednesday. Always take care of your ordering early on in the week and order enough to get you through the next week or two. I order my feeders every other week (shipping adds up) and buy insects that won’t die. Crickets and small silkworms die very easily. Anymore I stick with dubias, supers, Hornworms (mainly), and occasionally large silkworms. Those feeders are usually very resilient.

Back
Top Bottom